Sponsored by:

Please help...Whats a...........?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2001, 08:41 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm having problems with hesitation. Rob Mo posted on another thread that amongst other things having an itg air filter fitted helped. What's an itg air filter?! Im having mine serviced soon, so any replies welcomed Ta!
Old 01 May 2001, 08:44 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Angry

If your car is a 99 or 00 its an incurable driving feature of the car

Scott
Old 01 May 2001, 08:57 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

RB5Scott...Scary! Still I'm really intrigued now
What IS an itg air filter? is it a spelling mistake by Rob Mo?
Old 01 May 2001, 09:00 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Scoobabe
its a performance air filter made from foam instead of paper. it will make the car a little more responsive(only a little though)

Hope this helps
Scott
Old 01 May 2001, 09:07 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Scott. As I'm having it serviced on thursday, does anyone think I could negotiate the price with my friendly Subaru dealer as they would have to change the air filter anyway, has anyone ever tried?
Old 01 May 2001, 09:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never tried and dont suffer from hesitation (my00 turbo) mines in for her service on friday and a ram air filter
Ahhhh here come the mods oh and the mobil 1 15w50 fully synth

Tony
Old 01 May 2001, 09:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

You will probably find you Subaru dealer wont stock them as they are non standard parts. If you supplied one yourself then they may fit it for you as part of the service. You might want to check warranty implications with them as well.

I would check with the garage in question on availability and fitting, they may fit alternatives (depends on the garage). If you are specifically after an ITG then you need to be on the phone to scoobysport asap.

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 01 May 2001).]
Old 01 May 2001, 09:42 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Scott, with all due respect... it is NOT a feature of the MY99/MY00. At most you could say it is a fault on *some* cars. My MY99 never, I repeat, never had this problem, and I know a lot more that don't. Clutch judder might be a feature with all of them (can be cured with a different clutch), but *not* the hesitation bit.

As I said in the other thread: maybe we should look for a solution to help out those that are bitten by this scoobybug, instead of the constant moaning we have to read daily now

Scoobabe, I don't think your local friendly dealer will cary ITG filters. I think (could be wrong) that Pete Croney sells them ?

Theo
Old 01 May 2001, 09:43 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I have to start typing a bit faster LOL
Old 01 May 2001, 09:45 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by EvilBevel:
<B>I have to start typing a bit faster LOL [/quote]

A type quick but usually dont make much sense. Glad we both had the same answer Theo .

Old 01 May 2001, 09:51 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Is the ITG filter the best u can buy.
Old 01 May 2001, 10:00 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks mates for all your replies! I was a bit nervous as it is my first post and I thought maybe Id get nothing back.
Evil, I agree its good to use this forum for constructive advice/criticism. It's probably a bit late now to order a different air filter, at least I'll know for next time!
The pub is calling me [damn!] Bye!
Old 01 May 2001, 10:07 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Evilbevel
I know its not a feature of the car. It was a shot of sarcasm at what Subaru have said. I think you will find about 60% of 99&00 owners will have some sort of hesitation problems, especially after 10000miles. If there is a problem with the cars,it should be sorted. As you say you have never experianced the problem, you don't know how annoying it is
Old 01 May 2001, 10:29 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Scott, you want sarcasm or a solution ?

Can't have both.
Old 02 May 2001, 10:00 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RB5SCOTT:
<B>Evilbevel
I know its not a feature of the car. It was a shot of sarcasm at what Subaru have said. I think you will find about 60% of 99&00 owners will have some sort of hesitation problems, especially after 10000miles. If there is a problem with the cars,it should be sorted. As you say you have never experianced the problem, you don't know how annoying it is[/quote]

RB5,
It depends where the hesitation is. If its at 2500-3000 RPM then it probably is the 'feature' you mentioned. If it is higher up the range (5000 RPM +) then it is more than likely a breating problem.

Scoobybabe - Go for an induction filter(K&N is approx 70 quid). You can't see a hugh jump in performance, but it will iron out the flat spots and the sound is excellent. Every gear change makes pedestrians leap over hedges.
Old 02 May 2001, 10:15 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Every gear change makes pedestrians leap over hedges. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't think what you mean FB

ScooBabe

Just to add my comments for what it's worth. You can get several direct replacement panel filters. The ITG one is supplied by ScoobySport and will cost you around £40. You can also get a K+N panel filter for a similar price (I used to run one of these and I was very pleased with it).

Going up the price scale a bit, you can get a number of induction kits. The most well known are those made by HKS / Rampod /K+N /Blitz etc. Prices start at roughly £70 and go up up to several hundred pounds, depending on what you want. K+N now do a MKII version of their 57i induction kit for the Impreza. It is quite new and I don't know anyone who has one fitted at the moment.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old 02 May 2001, 02:18 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Fast bloke
Wow - they sound great. I want one now! Thanks, and to Chris
Old 02 May 2001, 02:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've held off on an induction kit through paranoia about the AFM sensor.

Is there a definitive answer as to whether they'll kill a AFM or not???

(AFM = air flow meter. Commonly seem to fail after fitting induction kit due to vibration...)

Nick.
Old 02 May 2001, 02:28 PM
KickUrRS
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Does ScooBabe sound well fit or what?

I hope you are a lady though! I love ladies!

I'll help you with your hesitation ;-) ai!
Old 02 May 2001, 04:36 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B>I've held off on an induction kit through paranoia about the AFM sensor.

(AFM = air flow meter. Commonly seem to fail after fitting induction kit due to vibration...)

Nick.[/quote]

I'm with chiark on this one, why I was only enquiring about this very same subject this Mornin', & I was told by some VERY helpfull chap at Jap Innovations, (You should all give them a call VERY,VERY Helpful 0161-6580920) that Induction kits for the MY99-00 cars are availiable and yes they work BUT they can bugger up the AFM.

Far better to stick to the panel filters, same effect, not quite as overt but looks after the AFM

Hows that for honest eh?

MIKEY

P.S Welcome to the show ScooBabe

Old 02 May 2001, 08:51 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mikey / Chiark

I think a lot has to do with the quality of the initial installation. I've been runing an HKS induction kit (green) for six months now on my MY00 - with no problems at all. The only thing I've done is change the foam filter (I think this is the crucial thing - I was surprised at how dirty the old one was) - regular filter changes would seem to be a good idea.

Chris
Old 02 May 2001, 10:57 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Only kept my HKS Induction kit on for a few months and removed it at the same time I removed the Link. Only to find the AFM was U/S and I was in limp home mode. Had a new AFM fitted and all OK again. I now only have a slight hesitation when the car is cold. Much better than before when the thing hesitated all the time. Went on a long run today no hesitation and very quiet with std exhaust, it was a pleasure to drive it like that.

[This message has been edited by bob (edited 02 May 2001).]
Old 03 May 2001, 12:35 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B>I've held off on an induction kit through paranoia about the AFM sensor.

Nick.[/quote]
Chiark,
The 57i comes with a bracket that fits between the cone and the the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) - I assume this is the same thing you are talking about. The mounting is very solid and won't introduce any more vibration than the standard fitting. I think oil based filters can also cause problems if they are over oiled. The 57i only needs cleaned and oiled every 45000 miles and comes pre oiled from the factory. To be on the safe side I would probably buy a new cone after 45k. (Over oiling kills the maf, under oiling will reduce the effectiveness, allowing larger particles to enter the engines)