Sponsored by:

differences!

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2014, 07:19 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differences!

hello again,sorry for all the questions but am a novice with these cars.can anybody explain the difference between a wrx sti uk spec and a jap spec sti?ive been looking at a 2003 wrx sti uk spec which apparently has the prodrive kit?is this any good?how do the cars compare next to eachother?is the engine the same in both models?sorry for all the noddy questions,just tryin to make sure i dont chuck money at something i didnt really want.cheers,ryan.
Old 07 January 2014, 07:40 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were all new at one point mate, The jap cars are twinscroll setup with better engine internals different turbo etc, but then are more expensive to buy, nothing wrong with a 03 sti with prodrive pack that will be about 300 with an uprated fuel pump and prodrive exhaust system.
Old 07 January 2014, 08:16 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

cool thanks for the reply mate.ive been offerd a jap spec bugeye sti plus cash for my vxr but have seen a scooby on pistonheads thats really turned my head.just was not sure of the differences?are the uk spec sti's as tunable?say up to 400bhp with out worrying?ive also read,and this is probably rubbish that they sound different because of the headers/up pipes or something?is that true or am i being stupid?thanks,ryan.
Old 07 January 2014, 08:17 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Anything around 400hp will me on borrowed time. You will enjoy both!
Old 07 January 2014, 08:24 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryan51
cool thanks for the reply mate.ive been offerd a jap spec bugeye sti plus cash for my vxr but have seen a scooby on pistonheads thats really turned my head.just was not sure of the differences?are the uk spec sti's as tunable?say up to 400bhp with out worrying?ive also read,and this is probably rubbish that they sound different because of the headers/up pipes or something?is that true or am i being stupid?thanks,ryan.
Have you driven one? Best do that before you decide how much power you want to increase it by. You might be surprised by just how quick they are in standard spec.

And yes, there is a difference between UK and Jap spec Sti's of the same year.
But as I said, drive them both and see how you feel.
Old 07 January 2014, 08:46 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

yes mate driven quite a few,just never owned one.my friend wants to swap his jap spec sti which is 350bhp for my vxr.quite use to high bhp cars but was just wondering if the uk spec could go up to 400bhp with out worrying its going to blow.cheers.ryan.
Old 07 January 2014, 08:59 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the jap cars sound different due to the headers your right there but depends what your after personally I would much prefer a quick spooling 330bhp car than a laggy 400+
car
Old 07 January 2014, 09:03 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

mate that mates perfect sense.just gathering all the information i need to make the right decision.now if i had the looks of the uk sti ive seen on pistonheads with the engine from my mates jap spec sti i would be a happy man haha.would you say jap spec over uk spec overall then?what are the pros and cons to both?cheers mate ryan.
Old 07 January 2014, 09:14 AM
TCWells
Scooby Regular

The JDM is the one you want, they're just cool...
Get the Japanese machine, make aesthetic modifications to suit you and make it your own. And if it's coming from a friend you can trust the source. And if not, you know where he lives! lol
Old 07 January 2014, 09:38 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scotty boy 80
We were all new at one point mate, The jap cars are twinscroll setup with better engine internals different turbo etc, but then are more expensive to buy, nothing wrong with a 03 sti with prodrive pack that will be about 300 with an uprated fuel pump and prodrive exhaust system.
JDM Bug STI's are single scroll, so apart from the lights, not much difference really in spec to a UK car. JDM Blobeye STI's and later were twin scroll set-ups.

UK and JDM STI Bug will sound the same, unless aftermarket equal length manifold has been fitted.
Old 07 January 2014, 09:55 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

cool thanks for the reply mate.ive taken a shine to a blue blobeye with white wheels on pistonheads.it sounds decent but with it being a uk spec would it sound and drive(power wise)as a jap sti bugeye??cheers,ryan.
Old 07 January 2014, 07:32 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Both uk and JDM SINGLE scroll cars come on boost the same, if anything a uk sti is slightly quicker spooling (vf35) but the JDM bug will go on to make more top end power (vf34).

Both cars will have the burble as both run unequal length headers (manifold).

Yes both uk bug sti and JDM bug sti will make 400 on standard motors ( upgraded turbo, injectors etc needed)

Only thing I'm unsure on is if the JDM bugs have the dccd like the JDM blob's?

So really it's what shape do you prefer if going single scroll route and want the burble, I've got a JDM and stepped from a blob uk sti in to this JDM blob and it's a totally different car in every shape and form to drive, significant difference imho.
Old 07 January 2014, 07:47 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

mate thanks for the reply,plenty of good information there for me to take on board,much appreciated.cheers,ryan.