Sponsored by:

rear bumper mountings on classic

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2014, 01:24 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear bumper mountings on classic

hi has anyone got any pictures of the rear bumper on a classic, showing it removed? ideally I want to see how it attaches / secures on the side quarters near to the rear arches.
I have rust in my rear arches and have found there is play in the bumper at the sides. im guessing what ever / however it secures has simply rotted away. I know it will bolt on to the car from the back, its just the side mountings I need to see.

thanks
Old 06 January 2014, 02:50 PM
JJTurbo
Scooby Regular

Although I can't provide a photo, It sounds like you have the same issue I had with mine, both side fixings had rotted away.
I had to improvise and I made new holes for some nuts & bolts. It looks like a Meccano set but its secure and out of sight.
Old 06 January 2014, 05:14 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

ok. I did wonder. I guy I work with used to work for Subaru many years ago, he suggested that the sides if the bumper had like a block mounted to them with a slot/grove in them, and the body / rear quarter had what I can best describe as fin on each side? I think from what he was saying the idea was as you offer the bumper up at the rear, the sides located and in effect slid into place? (fin locating into slot) once the main part of the bumper was secure it he prevented up/down movement/ play on the side parts where they meet up with the arches. sorry if that sounds confusing but that's the best way I can describe it, cos its been explained to me but without actually seeing it its hard to visualise. I just wanted to get mine right. that's why I was hoping someone might have a picture of either a bumper removed, or the rear quarters with bumper removed.

thanks anyway
Old 06 January 2014, 06:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No, that's how the spats fit.
The bumper is clipped to a frame that slides into a hollow beam, and bolts thread into the beam, keeping the bumper captive.
There are a couple (IIRC) of clips at the rear bottom edge and two just inside the wheelarch at the front. it's this last pair that may be rotted away, I can't remember but they may be bolts.
Old 06 January 2014, 08:48 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alcazar
two just inside the wheelarch at the front. it's this last pair that may be rotted away, I can't remember but they may be bolts.
They aren't bolts as such Jeff, the fitting for either side is made of 3 bit's of plastic to form a captive nut and bolt of sorts. The combined price for them from Subaru the last time I checked was nearly £30, and that was just for one side.

£60 to do both sides.
Old 07 January 2014, 12:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

it's so long since mine has been off, but yes, I remember the captive nut now.
Old 07 January 2014, 01:56 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

It may be OK, my bumper had a little play in the sides but the lips/fixings were fine, it was just the plastic clips had some play in them. I've still got the clips fitted but I'm not sold on them, I might well change to a proper nut and bolt arrangement as this would allow a nicer fit.
Old 07 January 2014, 04:28 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

I've had a closer loom at mine, in particular on the rear near side, thee is a thin trip of metal that's rusted and come away from somewhere, and even a cable tie! that seems to attach to the inner part of the bumper and the strip of metal that's come away. I suppose the only real answer is to have the bumper off and have a look. but might just leave it to body shop to sort when it goes in, its already like a breakers yard at mine with the lad and his mk1 fez
Old 07 January 2014, 04:33 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Ah OK, yep that thin strip of metal sounds like the bracket from the rear quarter :-( cable ties probably been used by a previous owner upon realising the problem and trying to get the bumper gap even. Nevermind hopefully the bodyshop can sort it, its a very simple bracket.

I have to say though that level of rust would make me concerned about the condition of the inner wings, have you have a look in the Jack compartment yet? If you open the little door and get a torch in there you can see what your dealing with.
Old 07 January 2014, 04:48 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mickywrx
They aren't bolts as such Jeff, the fitting for either side is made of 3 bit's of plastic to form a captive nut and bolt of sorts. The combined price for them from Subaru the last time I checked was nearly £30, and that was just for one side.

£60 to do both sides.
Which is why I replaced most of the w**k plastic clips with Stainless nuts and bolts on mine
My bumpers fitted perfect with 0 rattles ......after I'd replaced the rusty bumper bars
Old 07 January 2014, 09:06 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

yes I have, I have had all of the carpeting out from both side to have a good look. even with a torch it looks quite minimal. ive taken both of the black rubber protective strips off the arches, and got down with a pot brush with an angled head on it and gave the inner arches a right good scrub to get all of the crud that's built up. the factory underseal is a bit flaky in places but its never applied thick anyway. now I know from previous experience with old cars a tiny hole car often become a bigger one, but ive had a good prod round the inner arches and the n/s has a tiny hole, which is more of a slot (probably big enough to get 20p through) and that's where it meets the outer skin of the arch, so im not overly worried.......its metal at the end of the day, it can be replaced. below is an rs1600i I did a bit of welding on, hopefully the pics come out, not used photobucket for a while.