Sponsored by:

help - Lost power replaced back box

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2013, 10:11 AM
Amishwrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - Lost power replaced back box

I have just fitted the afterburner raptor back box ( silencer ) and removed the resonator in centre pipe ( welded).

i have noticed that i have lost a little power.

Revs dont spool through the rev range as quickly as it did before.

What could be wrong?
Old 12 December 2013, 10:22 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Air filter stuffed or wet? Could be performing the same and just sounds different?!
Old 12 December 2013, 10:40 AM
Amishwrx
Scooby Newbie

Air filter is fine. Right after I changed te back box I felt the car slower. The revs don't go through the rev range as quickly as it did perviously with the prodrive back box. Car is mapped with prodrive back box with resonator.

I removed the resonator and changed the back box. Would this be the cause or should I put the resonator back
Old 12 December 2013, 11:30 AM
TCWells
Scooby Regular

The car is mapped for a particular air flow... Changing exhausts and filters and what not is always gonna effect a tune. But i wouldn't have thought that just a back box would make a noticable difference.
Old 12 December 2013, 11:32 AM
TCWells
Scooby Regular

But with the additional changes to the res, you never know...
Old 12 December 2013, 12:22 PM
Amishwrx
Scooby Newbie

Tc wells.. Thanks for your info

Just to say I also have the turbo which is on its way out..

Would you say to replace or weld back the resonator on the centre pipe?
Old 12 December 2013, 12:58 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I changed to a decat downpipe on my old sti and I had the exact same problem.....until a few days after fitting, I had my foot down and a load of packing material came out of the exhaust....on fire! Car was transformed after this, unsurprisingly! Remove and check that there are no restrictions. I also bought this from Scoobyworld.
Old 12 December 2013, 01:22 PM
Amishwrx
Scooby Newbie

That's crazy.. Nah I checked to make sure the back box was pretty clear before I installed it.. Could this also mean I may have an exhaust leek? Car is mapped to 1.8 bar boost but read 1.7 yesterday
Old 12 December 2013, 04:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Amishwrx
Tc wells.. Thanks for your info

Just to say I also have the turbo which is on its way out..

Would you say to replace or weld back the resonator on the centre pipe?
FFS your running the car with a turbo on the way out, you change the exhaust and now it's not working to well.

This is the quick way to a rebuild if the turbo breaks up and fills the engine with bit's
Old 12 December 2013, 04:13 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
FFS your running the car with a turbo on the way out, you change the exhaust and now it's not working to well.

This is the quick way to a rebuild if the turbo breaks up and fills the engine with bit's
+1

I'd be less worried about it losing power if you knew the turbo is on its way out
Old 12 December 2013, 07:15 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

In what way is the turbo on its way out do you get constant smoke puffs of smoke I mean when a turbo fails its catastrophic the turbo blades only have to sniff the housings and it will implode/explode so if you have any non factory shaft play I would not drive it any further.

I recon most of it is disappointment that the car hasn't made an extra 30hp and you wer expecting a lot more than what you have achieved buy fitting the exhaust if anything all you would have done is moved a little of the low down power a bit further up the rev range so it doesn't give you that hard punch it used to when it did. More important though get the turbo sorted
Old 12 December 2013, 07:15 PM
Amishwrx
Scooby Newbie

Trooper.. I appreciate your support.. For your kind info, I think I know what the effects of a going turbo is.. New turbo goin in tomorrow hence wanted to know the cause to why I lost power. Whether it was the the res delete or the back box. And new I it was due to the turbo which just went out..
True advise would be appreciated guys
Old 12 December 2013, 07:26 PM
Amishwrx
Scooby Newbie

Wrx271.. Thanks for yor help.. We actually I have done quite a few new to my 2007 subaru wrx. Got updated fuel rails, running a ihi ball bearing vf34. Sti tmic, forged internals, butterflies removed, and so on. Running at 1.8 bar boost.

My turbo seals at the moment have failed and at hard driving it lost engine oil. I have a brand new vf34 going in tomorrow.

I am not looking at any more increase in power. Just wanted to give my car the extra sound, hence removed the resonator and changed the back box. I would prefer to run the way it did with just the extra sound other than the quite prodrive back box.

Does this mean that my top end has increased and lost my low end. I was still able to read boost at 1.7 bar boost. But it just kicked in a lot earlier than noormal. And also the fact that after the tubo spooled a lot earlier and quicker, the revs slowed down at high rpm. Revs didn't shoot through the the rev range as quickly as it did before on 1st and 2nd gear
Old 13 December 2013, 12:00 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Amishwrx
Wrx271.. Thanks for yor help.. We actually I have done quite a few new to my 2007 subaru wrx. Got updated fuel rails, running a ihi ball bearing vf34. Sti tmic, forged internals, butterflies removed, and so on. Running at 1.8 bar boost.

My turbo seals at the moment have failed and at hard driving it lost engine oil. I have a brand new vf34 going in tomorrow.

I am not looking at any more increase in power. Just wanted to give my car the extra sound, hence removed the resonator and changed the back box. I would prefer to run the way it did with just the extra sound other than the quite prodrive back box.

Does this mean that my top end has increased and lost my low end. I was still able to read boost at 1.7 bar boost. But it just kicked in a lot earlier than noormal. And also the fact that after the tubo spooled a lot earlier and quicker, the revs slowed down at high rpm. Revs didn't shoot through the the rev range as quickly as it did before on 1st and 2nd gear
I give up!
Old 13 December 2013, 12:21 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple back pressure, you have lost torque as a result of slowing the expulsion of gases

1.8 bar of boost on a VF34 seems pointless IMHO. Best to make the most of it's performance around 1.5bar IMHO and get a proper mapper to extract the best out of it at this boost level. Making it work harder and hotter seems counter productive to me anyway
Old 13 December 2013, 09:05 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Who mapped it to 1.8 bar ???
Old 13 December 2013, 09:24 AM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
I give up!
Lol. I used to enjoy giving information to folk who need help. But nowadays all you get is a newbie asking questions and then arguing the toss your wrong ?

God help us !
Old 14 December 2013, 06:16 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
Lol. I used to enjoy giving information to folk who need help. But nowadays all you get is a newbie asking questions and then arguing the toss your wrong ?

God help us !
hope you carry on lol you knowmoreabout scoobs than most on here got a problem with my mundeo hope you can sort it for me no its not a diesal thank **** pm me
Old 14 December 2013, 07:31 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
hope you carry on lol you knowmoreabout scoobs than most on here got a problem with my mundeo hope you can sort it for me no its not a diesal thank **** pm me
Just txt ya nick. !!
Old 14 December 2013, 08:02 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
Just txt ya nick. !!

cheers pad se you tuesday