Sponsored by:

Car swapping

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2013, 06:02 PM
Brucant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car swapping

So I'm currently selling my T2000 and some1 has offered me a trade + cash my way. I have no intension of owning or driving the car he offered I would simply sell it on.
So how do I go about the log book I don't want to add an extra owner of the car but I'm no tradesman, is there a way around it?
Thanks in advance ;-)
Old 11 December 2013, 06:08 PM
markb5888
Scooby Regular

Yes you fill in the trade(yellow section) on logbook. And he keeps that and then you get the rest of the book(main bit) with his signature on. Then the new buyer just fill that out as normal. If that makes any sense:-)
Old 11 December 2013, 06:10 PM
Brucant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb5888
Yes you fill in the trade(yellow section) on logbook. And he keeps that and then you get the rest of the book(main bit) with his signature on. Then the new buyer just fill that out as normal. If that makes any sense:-)
Ah thank you, I trust this all above board? ;-)
Old 11 December 2013, 06:10 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

I'd say strictly speaking, no.

As soon as the car comes into your possession you'd become the keeper, so you'd have to register yourself as such.

However, if you could 'pre-sell' the car (if you see what I mean) you could act as a sort of broker, and immediately you got the car pass it straight on.

One thing to remember though is the Insurance side of things.
I think I'm correct in saying that you have to be the registered keeper (or owner) to insure a car ?

On the basis that advertising a car and selling it usually takes a few days, even if it's a cheap and cheerful one sold locally you might find it worthwhile advertising it a couple of days before you part with yours.
You can always postpone any approach/viewing etc. if someone does jump in immediately.
Old 11 December 2013, 06:12 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb5888
Would there be a problem, on the basis that he'd basically be saying he was a trader - bureaucracy and all that?
Old 11 December 2013, 06:16 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

I tried this a couple years ago on my vectra gsi but didn't work

Basically tried the above but as I wasn't a trader got a load Agro from the dvla , luckily guy I sold it onto didn't care as the dates where there showing when I became the keeper
Old 11 December 2013, 07:05 PM
Brucant
Scooby Regular

What's to stop me from being a 'trader'??
Old 11 December 2013, 07:07 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucant
VAT registered possibly
Old 11 December 2013, 07:27 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

No idea , worth a try tho ??
Old 11 December 2013, 07:54 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Just complete the yellow section. All will be fine, and yes I am a trader and as such do this action many times per week.

You just got to make sure the prev keeper sends of the yellow slip with your details on it, you won't add another owner. If the yellow slip doesn't get sent off by prev keeper HE is liable for any motor offences or tax costs that the car incurs. It wouldn't be advisable to drive the car either unless you have trade insurance as when me plod pnc's the car it will come back as no current keeper, meaning your personal insurance would be void.

Rgds paddy.
Old 11 December 2013, 07:57 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
I'd say strictly speaking, no.

As soon as the car comes into your possession you'd become the keeper, so you'd have to register yourself as such.

However, if you could 'pre-sell' the car (if you see what I mean) you could act as a sort of broker, and immediately you got the car pass it straight on.

One thing to remember though is the Insurance side of things.
I think I'm correct in saying that you have to be the registered keeper (or owner) to insure a car ?

On the basis that advertising a car and selling it usually takes a few days, even if it's a cheap and cheerful one sold locally you might find it worthwhile advertising it a couple of days before you part with yours.
You can always postpone any approach/viewing etc. if someone does jump in immediately.

BLAH BLAH BLAH,

Stick to computers, and don't dish out advise on a topic which you have no idea on !
Old 11 December 2013, 08:00 PM
Brucant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
Just complete the yellow section. All will be fine, and yes I am a trader and as such do this action many times per week.

You just got to make sure the prev keeper sends of the yellow slip with your details on it, you won't add another owner. If the yellow slip doesn't get sent off by prev keeper HE is liable for any motor offences or tax costs that the car incurs. It wouldn't be advisable to drive the car either unless you have trade insurance as when me plod pnc's the car it will come back as no current keeper, meaning your personal insurance would be void.

Rgds paddy.
Should I expect anything through the door? And when I find a buyer I just complete the new owner section as per usual?
Old 11 December 2013, 08:03 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
BLAH BLAH BLAH,

Stick to computers, and don't dish out advise on a topic which you have no idea on !

paddy
Old 11 December 2013, 08:54 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Should I expect anything through the door? And when I find a buyer I just complete the new owner section as per usual?

No, nothing will come through the door. But, yes you would fill out the v5 as normal and send to Dvla. Then hand the green slip to new keeper. Job done. !!
Old 11 December 2013, 09:13 PM
markb5888
Scooby Regular

Paddy is correct i have done this before. And all was fine. And im not a trader..
Old 11 December 2013, 10:56 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Nothing imo but it's what might happen as a result.

As someone's said, they had aggro from DVLA.

And the way Big Brother is these days it is possible that HMRC will latch on, and start asking questions.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate but you could find yourself having to convince them that you aren't, and on the other hand convince VOSA/DVLA that you are (or else fall foul for wrongly declaring on the V5).

It's probably not a big deal (I bought a car from my daughter that was like that, one-man garage/mechanic who did up cars and sold them privately to earn a crust. His name wasn't on the list of keepers) but at least you know the possible pitfalls.
Old 11 December 2013, 11:03 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Oh another Paddy paddy now (thanks for the quote Nick).

YOU are a trader, legitimately registered etc (presumably?).
HMRC and other relevant authorities receive all due returns etc from you (presumably?).

The op isn't, and therefore doesn't make returns.

He isn't in the same circumstances as you, so you wouldn't be qualified to advise on that basis.

I'm a Small Business support practitioner.

And he's now got all the possibilities (including the helpful contributor who said they did exactly that and it was OK).

Job done.
Old 11 December 2013, 11:13 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Post 4 is wrong so just in case anyone is interested there is no legal or blanket insurance company requirement that says you have to be the legal owner or registered keeper of a vehicle to be the main insured driver. Many insurance companies won't do it due to what they see as a higher perceieved risk due to the main driver having no financial responsibility for the vehicle, but some will although you can expect a higher premium than if you were the keeper and/or owner.
Old 11 December 2013, 11:15 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

HMRC and other relevant authorities receive all due returns etc from you (presumably?).

He isn't in the same circumstances as you, so you wouldn't be qualified to advise on that basis.

I'm a Small Business support practitioner.

And he's now got all the possibilities (including the helpful contributor who said they did exactly that and it was OK).

Job done.

Please curl up and die
Old 11 December 2013, 11:24 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

I'm a Small bell-end support practitioner.

Job done.

You don't have to be a business to be a motor trader, the trader section is simply there to be used if you don't intend to keep the car in your possession for personal use. :hjtwofi ng