J Performance Cars Overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2013, 11:39 PM
mistermexican
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J Performance Cars Overpriced?

Hi All,

After wanting a V9 STi I drove a V10 hawkeye and much preferred the car. J Performance Cars tend to have a lot of Imprezas for sale but they tend to be around the £10,000 - £12,500 mark with 20,000 - 50,000 miles.
What are your views on the price of the cars?

Cheers
Old 26 November 2013, 11:49 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My feeling is that users of this forum generally underprice the value of Impreza STis and also tend not to take into account dealer prices.

From my experience of J Performance and the comments made by others who have bought from them they sell very high quality cars.

Whether or not that deserves the premium is up to you, go and have a look and haggle away.

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 26 November 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 26 November 2013, 11:56 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends on the car really. Per Say or maybe, a JDM hawk that would be cheap but a UK hawk would be dear.

Then depends on full service history, condition etc etc

It was a too general an ask to give a better answer, sorry

Tony
Old 27 November 2013, 12:01 AM
mistermexican
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
My feeling is that users of this forum generally underprice the value of Impreza STis and also tend not to take into account dealer prices.

From my experience of J Performance and the comments made by others who have bought from them they sell very high quality cars.

Whether or not that deserves the premium is up to you, go and have a look and haggle away.
Why do you feel they under-price?
Think I'll pop down and see what they're like. The only reason I ask is that I went to see another Impreza from a dealer (who I won't name) that was "spotless" with 50000 miles and it was in a lot worse condition than my 96000 mile Type R Civic. So if they're in good nick are they worth that much as I've seen JDMs advertised at similar prices.
Old 27 November 2013, 12:02 AM
mistermexican
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Depends on the car really. Per Say or maybe, a JDM hawk that would be cheap but a UK hawk would be dear.

Then depends on full service history, condition etc etc

It was a too general an ask to give a better answer, sorry

Tony
Sorry for the vagueness Tony!
Old 27 November 2013, 02:03 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mistermexican
Hi All,

After wanting a V9 STi I drove a V10 hawkeye and much preferred the car. J Performance Cars tend to have a lot of Imprezas for sale but they tend to be around the £10,000 - £12,500 mark with 20,000 - 50,000 miles.
What are your views on the price of the cars?

Cheers
Imo it's one of those classic 'one man's meat' etc. situations.

No-one buys cars they can't sell at a profit that keeps them in business, so I assume that in their experience people are willing to pay their prices (or ones acceptable to them, after perhaps haggling).

A lot of people place importance on lower-mileage cars and possibly don't mind paying a premium for that. There's also the 'safeguard' of a warranty and legislation to protect someone who buys from the trade.

I think what tng was saying is that whenever this forum is asked for a view on a price people tend to go on private sales, not dealer prices.

And in view of what Tony (T5NYW) said, the 'vagueness' is simply because no-one knows what your preferences are, whether you do or do not prefer a lower-mileage car and want or don't want the peace of mind that a warranty etc. might provide.

I will say, however, that if you look at a non-sorted UK Hawk then a warranty is a must (read the sticky at the top of the forum).

Good luck with the hunt.
Post a link to anything you fancy and there'll always be people who'll provide advice and opinions.
Old 27 November 2013, 09:46 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I've looked at a lot of those cars from J performance. It seems to be that painting the wheels black and the inside of the headlights black, increases the cars value dramatically

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 27 November 2013, 09:58 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Peedee
I've looked at a lot of those cars from J performance. It seems to be that painting the wheels black and the inside of the headlights black, increases the cars value dramatically

Has anyone else noticed this?
They're obviously doing something right. All of their cars are immacutely presented and look like they've just come from a showroom. It's a lesson in how to sell a car.
Old 27 November 2013, 01:51 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

To clarify above for the OP, I feel that a lot of people on here think that the lowest possible price for a car reflects what should be paid for an average or even mint one. That's just my opinion, I'm not having a go at anyone

I have seen some suggestions that a low mileage widetrack blob STi is worth less than £7500, I think that is about £1500 out. If you can get a good one at that price then fair play to you. A mint one is worth five figures in my opinion. They are desirable performance cars and you are getting a lot for your money.

As for JPerformance, they present their cars impeccably and have a great reputation among their customers. Having seen some of their cars in person I can assure you they do not sell nails. It is a very professional outfit in that respect.

Whether or not that is worth the premium is up to the buyer. They're certainly doing well enough so I would assume a fair number of people agree that is the case.
Old 27 November 2013, 01:57 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought my Spec C from J Performance - decent father/son outfit that know their cars. Not heard of any horror stories so far either about them.

Pricing is dependent on what the person wants to pay, but as Einstein RA said there cars are usually mint and are always up for a little haggling.

So for me, would I rather pay a few hundred pounds extra for a better example then buy a cheaper car that cost me more in the long run - simple answer Yes! But then depends on your plan for the car - horses for course really.

Mel
Old 27 November 2013, 02:01 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

To clarify above for the OP, I feel that a lot of people on here think that the lowest possible price for a car reflects what should be paid for an average or even mint one. That's just my opinion, I'm not having a go at anyone
Couldn't agree more.

People also seem to forget that car dealers have to make a profit, cover costs and interest on business loans, plus any associated VAT costs. Can't do that if they were charging £7 - 8,000 for widetracks.
Old 27 November 2013, 02:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen some suggestions that a low mileage widetrack blob STi is worth less than £7500, I think that is about £1500 out. If you can get a good one at that price then fair play to you. A mint one is worth five figures in my opinion. They are desirable performance cars and you are getting a lot for your money.

As for JPerformance, they present their cars impeccably and have a great reputation among their customers. Having seen some of their cars in person I can assure you they do not sell nails. It is a very professional outfit in that respect.

Whether or not that is worth the premium is up to the buyer. They're certainly doing well enough so I would assume a fair number of people agree that is the case.
I have to disagree, I think that these cars are getting on a bit now at almost 9yrs old, no matter how shiny the paint or clean the seats/under bonnet there is no getting away from the age, I don't like cars that have REALLY low milage because quite frankly it's not really good for a car to sit doing nothing most of their lives, the only thing it's good for on a car is the bodywork, but all the moving parts don't like being sat, condensation everywhere, perished seals and bushes, bearings oxidising, turning it over once a month all very bad for a car.

I'd much rather have one that has milage commensurate with it's age and been well maintained throughout it's life.

Add that lot to the cost of fuel, servicing, insurance, tax especially in the higher band and i'd say that most are still overpriced.

At the end of the day there are people out there willing to pay the money which is their choice, I just think as some who are trying to sell these cars are currently finding out, they are be-coming fewer and farther between.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 27 November 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 27 November 2013, 02:50 PM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
They're obviously doing something right. All of their cars are immacutely presented and look like they've just come from a showroom. It's a lesson in how to sell a car.
A pity that most of what they advertise has already been sold. 63 of the 76 ads they have on pistonheads show "Sorry now Sold" or "deposit taken". This has been typical of them for the past few months whilst I've been researching my next car and it strikes me as odd, why would they do that? I can't think of any answer that is a positive for my view of them.

Seems a shame if they are a decent outfit.
Old 27 November 2013, 02:59 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Husaberk
A pity that most of what they advertise has already been sold. 63 of the 76 ads they have on pistonheads show "Sorry now Sold" or "deposit taken". This has been typical of them for the past few months whilst I've been researching my next car and it strikes me as odd, why would they do that? I can't think of any answer that is a positive for my view of them.

They do have their own website.
Old 27 November 2013, 03:12 PM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
They do have their own website.
Whose stock list also has rather a lot of sold cars..........
Old 27 November 2013, 05:41 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Husaberk

Ok, so I'm a buyer out looking.
Wow, look how many cars this company has sold in the past week or so (average time between agreeing a sale and collecting the car?). They must be good !
I'll also need to grab one before they sell it.
(OK, so I'm a slightly naive buyer ).

As a less naive buyer I'd think 'OK, 63 cars over the past few months, that's not a bad average'.

This sort of practice is quite common I've found.
When I was looking for one early this year no less than 4 traders had sold a car I was interested in. One of them was sold within hours of the ad going up (I emailed in the morning, and the car wasn't advertised the night before).

Although it could be looked upon as glossing things up I also think it could work the other way.
As a cyncial buyer I'd think 'how do I know that they move their cars that quickly'?
Old 27 November 2013, 05:53 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I have to disagree
You would disagree with me you ****
Old 27 November 2013, 05:57 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

I had a look at one when i was looking to buy. Very nice car, was over priced compared to the subsequent car I bought. Don't get me wrong, the car was spot on, as were the people.
I'd agree that some cars sold on here are undervalued, I guess its the nature of some of the 'types' of subaru owners; Buy one, rag it round for a few months and sell as they cant be arsed to fuel it/tax it/service it, so it goes cheap for a quick sale.
Old 27 November 2013, 08:21 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Never heard any bad comments/reviews about them, so im guessing your paying the extra premium for peace of mind if anything did go wrong they would sort it out. To many traders out there who are quick enough to take your cash, but when problems arise they dont want to know!!
Old 27 November 2013, 08:36 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

finance and p/x drive in drive out
Old 28 November 2013, 10:42 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mistermexican
Sorry for the vagueness Tony!
It's more that I misundertood you Post, sorry reputation of the company/Seller is paramount. A £10-30K road car I'd pay premuim for peace of mind, rather than a possible can of worms. It's not "if" the car goes wrong, it's how the problem is resolved that counts.

The replies below are Probably much better than mine,

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Never heard any bad comments/reviews about them, so im guessing your paying the extra premium for peace of mind if anything did go wrong they would sort it out.

Too many traders out there who are quick enough to take your cash, but when problems arise they dont want to know!!
Regards

Tony
Old 28 November 2013, 10:46 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

You would disagree with me you ****
Only because you talk a load of crap..
Old 28 November 2013, 12:48 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I don't like cars that have REALLY low milage because quite frankly it's not really good for a car to sit doing nothing most of their lives, the only thing it's good for on a car is the bodywork, but all the moving parts don't like being sat, condensation everywhere, perished seals and bushes, bearings oxidising, turning it over once a month all very bad for a car.

I'd much rather have one that has milage commensurate with it's age and been well maintained throughout it's life.
Don't throw stones when you're sat in a greenhouse.

My car has done around 18k and is coming up for 9yrs old. It performs at the top of it's expected performance envelop (for it's spec), only requires routine servicing, flies through the MOT (so far, so good), the MOT'er (every year) says he can't believe the condition and it (obviously) doesn't get used much.

Whatever it needs, it gets....... fortunately it's never needed anything in reality.

You can't honestly tell me you'd (assuming both cars are the same model & condition) take a car that had 72k on it over mine, as it's commensurate mileage for the age.

If that's the case I'll "over clock" it.
Old 28 November 2013, 01:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Don't throw stones when you're sat in a greenhouse.

My car has done around 18k and is coming up for 9yrs old. It performs at the top of it's expected performance envelop (for it's spec), only requires routine servicing, flies through the MOT (so far, so good), the MOT'er (every year) says he can't believe the condition and it (obviously) doesn't get used much.

Whatever it needs, it gets....... fortunately it's never needed anything in reality.

You can't honestly tell me you'd (assuming both cars are the same model & condition) take a car that had 72k on it over mine, as it's commensurate mileage for the age.

If that's the case I'll "over clock" it.
Stop playing devils advocate, we both know yours is one of the Rare exceptions of which there aren't very many maybe 5/6 cars on here with people that really do know scobbies, the vast majority of low mileage cars have just spent most of their time sat in a garage or worse outside just not being used with little or no care / knowledge of how to treat them under such circumstances, little things such as disconnecting the crank sensor before starting if it's been sat for a couple of weeks.

In my experience working around the motor trade for 20yrs as soon as a car like this comes into a dealer first thing that happens is someone goes for a blast, every time the keys fall into another persons hands it gets the **** revved off it, usually from stone cold, seen it hundreds of times and been guilty of it in my younger days.

Not saying that this company does that, because they obviously know their cars, that's something i'm aiming at the wider motor trade.

Iv'e no problem with paying a premium on a low milage one or two owner car that has been cherished by knowledgable owners, but buying one off a dealer that has just tarted it up a bit with a detail and some tyre shine is not the same thing IMO.

And no I wouldn't have your car because it's not a WAGON PPP.
Old 28 November 2013, 08:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Disconnecting the crank sensor after not using the car for a couple of weeks...... you need to get out more mate!! You don't use a clip board with notes on, prior to every time you pull away do you?

WAGON PPP - No problem.... I can get a bodykit for you to sort that one out.