Sponsored by:

Tuning Scene

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2013, 01:55 PM
hawkeyescoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Scene

Currently working on a project for college on the UK's tuning scene at the moment – I researched on http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk website to look at marquees I personally like such as Skylines, Impreza and Evos. When you compare rough numbers it is saying Evos have approx 5k cars on the UK roads, Skylines there are 2000 and Impreza 25k. I then looked at a typical UK model such as Ford Focus ST/RS and their numbers were 42k. I thought R35 GTR industry was huge but that site says there is 1000x(ish) cars registered on the UK roads – surely that cant be right.

What tuning scene or car marque do you think is booming the best in the UK at the moment?

Is the Impreza tuning scene dead or flourishing?
Old 25 November 2013, 02:03 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect manufacturers of sticker kits and vent to atmosphere dump valves are doing very well at the moment
Old 25 November 2013, 02:07 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dead tuning is putting stickers on atm
Old 25 November 2013, 03:47 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Aye what's the point of tuning when the eBay ad claims it already has 450bhp?

Just need to make it look sick blud!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=181266409364
Old 25 November 2013, 03:52 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

Clio 172/182/197 and any honda type r . . They are all like a plague, and damn hard to shake off on the roads too
Old 25 November 2013, 05:10 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkeyescoob
Currently working on a project for college on the UK's tuning scene at the moment – I researched on http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk website to look at marquees I personally like such as Skylines, Impreza and Evos. When you compare rough numbers it is saying Evos have approx 5k cars on the UK roads, Skylines there are 2000 and Impreza 25k. I then looked at a typical UK model such as Ford Focus ST/RS and their numbers were 42k. I thought R35 GTR industry was huge but that site says there is 1000x(ish) cars registered on the UK roads – surely that cant be right.

What tuning scene or car marque do you think is booming the best in the UK at the moment?

Is the Impreza tuning scene dead or flourishing?
The main issue with the Impreza tuning scene is the fact that the cost of a classic Impreza has dropped into the hands of people with limited budgets. There are very few proper builds these days. As a consequence, many are getting broken and scrapped.
Old 25 November 2013, 06:05 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
The main issue with the Impreza tuning scene is the fact that the cost of a classic Impreza has dropped into the hands of people with limited budgets. There are very few proper builds these days. As a consequence, many are getting broken and scrapped.
Also, the cost of things in the UK is high so for example, labour charges at garages is high compared to say the US, so many, especially younger folk cant do 'as much' as those with a bigger income like they can in Asia and the States, and this does lead the way to cheap non effective modifications.

Plus with all imported parts getting the governments own added on as well, things are just expensive.

Last edited by Trinity; 25 November 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 25 November 2013, 06:59 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Insurance and fuel costs have killed the car owning and tuning scene in the UK.

17/18/19 year olds can't get insured on anything these days, which means by the time they can, they're no longer interested.

Glad to have been young in the 90s/early 00s myself.
Old 25 November 2013, 07:04 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Insurance and fuel costs have killed the car owning and tuning scene in the UK.

17/18/19 year olds can't get insured on anything these days, which means by the time they can, they're no longer interested.

Glad to have been young in the 90s/early 00s myself.
whats the cost of a 19 year old on a 10 year old say 1.0l car these days?

I paid £1600 on a Mk2 Golf 1.3 60bhp 4 speed 13 years ago! Still didnt stop me getting my old man out in the snow to fit GTI bumpers and lowering springs with me

There is such 'privileged' thought patterns on modifying cars these days, especially on Scoobynet. One lad on here the other week was having a go himself, ok, so he made a few changes that made his car look like a bit of a dogs dinner, but he got slated by some instead of encouraged and steered in the right direction - with things he could do on the cheap.

Seems that once you have pound notes in your pocket, you forget the times of doing everything on a shoe string budget, making a few mistakes and enjoying it! My first Golf had Neons ffs and i LOVED them, but then my next Golf ended up wining best in class awards at shows, because the Dub scene, back then was nice, friendly and all about having a go..not just getting the cheque book out like these days.

Last edited by Trinity; 25 November 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 25 November 2013, 07:08 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity

Seems that once you have pound notes in your pocket, you forget the times of doing everyone on a shoe string and enjoying it
Wait until you see my side project . . All forunder 500 notes like the good old days
Old 25 November 2013, 07:09 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoyPinhey
Wait until you see my side project . . All forunder 500 notes like the good old days
Awesome I might have a go at doing a Golf next year, from rust bucket to shop stopper for a grand (inclusive of any beg, borrowing, stealing, swapping )