ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

NEWBIE...

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2013, 08:48 AM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE...

Hi guys, just dipping my toe in.. Basically i'm considering buying a scoobie but unsure which to go for. I'v got around 8G's im looking to get a wrx sti version looking at ages between 2004-early08 please can someone with good knowledge help me decide. i want my first experience of owning a scoobie to memorable.
P.S il be looking at covering 60k over 4years so needs to last...
thank you please...
Old 14 November 2013, 08:56 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

What do you want from the car?

If I was spending 8k on a car I would be hunting down a nice 2005 Sti blobeye wide track.
Old 14 November 2013, 09:44 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
What do you want from the car? If I was spending 8k on a car I would be hunting down a nice 2005 Sti blobeye wide track.
Same here this is what I bought 05 sti with prodrive pack, strong reliable engine
Old 14 November 2013, 06:46 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

What do you want from the car?

If I was spending 8k on a car I would be hunting down a nice 2005 Sti blobeye wide track.
Thanks for your response pf. Basically im looking for a everyday commuter, always had a love for the scoobie. Love the sound of the boxer engine and thought if I was going to get one then I assumed the sti is the one you should go for. Am I wrong.. See I thought folk went for wrx to save on insurance.
Old 14 November 2013, 07:12 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Picklemaroo
Same here this is what I bought 05 sti with prodrive pack, strong reliable engine
nice one
Old 14 November 2013, 07:52 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Melvatron
Am I wrong.. See I thought folk went for wrx to save on insurance.
The WRX is the pretend or budget version, wouldn't bother unless you can't stretch to an STi.

Get a proper one, I'd recommend the widetrack STi too, with a PPP or sympathetically modified equivalent.

If you come across a car you like the look of post it on here we'll try and help
Old 14 November 2013, 07:56 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

The WRX is not a pretend or budget version

It's a different car marketed to a different customer, sure it's not as focused as an Sti but for a lot of people it's a more suitable car.
Old 14 November 2013, 08:02 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

The WRX is not a pretend or budget version

It's a different car marketed to a different customer, sure it's not as focused as an Sti but for a lot of people it's a more suitable car.

I'm sure your argument is right, I'm just looking for fair opinion ;-)
Old 14 November 2013, 08:04 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
The WRX is the pretend or budget version, wouldn't bother unless you can't stretch to an STi.

Get a proper one, I'd recommend the widetrack STi too, with a PPP or sympathetically modified equivalent.

If you come across a car you like the look of post it on here we'll try and help
is this a relevant comment,all you will achieve is winding people up, and if I had 8k it would be a blob wide track also.
Old 14 November 2013, 08:07 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

thanks Richard. Just been searching through the marketplace on this forum. Noticed a 2005 that had wurring noise on tick over, turned out to be dodgy gearbox. Is there anything I need to be careful of.?
Old 14 November 2013, 08:11 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Guys I'm confused which is blob eye, there is two face lifts between 2003-2007
Old 14 November 2013, 08:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neilwrx
is this a relevant comment,all you will achieve is winding people up, and if I had 8k it would be a blob wide track also.
He has a Cosworth hatch, lots of money for not very much so he likes to belittle other people's choices... ignore him
Old 14 November 2013, 08:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Guys I'm confused which is blob eye, there is two face lifts between 2003-2007
2003 - 2006 - blobeye - single front grille

2006 - 2007 - hawkeye - front grille divided in 3

As others have said 05 widetrack STI would be a good choice, but you need to try a WRX and an STI to see which you prefer. WRX softer, but more of an all rounder, STI more hardcore!
Old 14 November 2013, 09:42 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
2003 - 2006 - blobeye - single front grille

2006 - 2007 - hawkeye - front grille divided in 3

As others have said 05 widetrack STI would be a good choice, but you need to try a WRX and an STI to see which you prefer. WRX softer, but more of an all rounder, STI more hardcore!
thanks for replying, blobeye will be the 2ltr version then??? Getting a headache trying to make the right choice hahaha.

I'm on it. Was a bit confused weather it was the earlier version which I call bugeye. I didn't like that version heard the bottom end wasn't strong in them.. Thanks again

Last edited by Melvatron; 14 November 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 14 November 2013, 09:56 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

£8k is a decent budget, you can get a 2005(blobeye) widetrack STi for around that, and to be honest would be my choice!!
Old 14 November 2013, 09:58 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

He has a Cosworth hatch, lots of money for not very much so he likes to belittle other people's choices... ignore him
Yeah yeah

The OP has got a budget that will see him comfortably into widetrack STi money, that's the best car to get. Plenty of poke on tap for most, excellent road holding and if he wants to take it further he doesn't have to throw half of it away.

Things to look out for are the typical things you look out for on a performance car, scored or worn disks, pads. Whining turbos, clunky gear changes, panel damage, rust, knocking sounds from the engine, service history and intervals of service. These cars are generally strong but don't take kindly to abuse. A common problem that isn't much to worry about is knocking from the rear shocks, it is easily fixed usually.

My advice is not to rush into a quick purchase, if you hold out then you'll get a great car on that budget.

Do factor in running costs though, if you've never run a performance car before these things can bite you.
Old 14 November 2013, 10:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

thanks for replying, blobeye will be the 2ltr version then??? Getting a headache trying to make the right choice hahaha.

I'm on it. Was a bit confused weather it was the earlier version which I call bugeye. I didn't like that version heard the bottom end wasn't strong in them.. Thanks again
Yep blobs all 2l unless they have had a 2.5 build. 2001 - 2002/2003 - bugeye - STI bugeyes are fine, but getting on a bit now. Youe £8K should see you in a a nice 2005 STI blob, but do have a good drive of it first!

Post any links to cars you are looking at on here, plenty of people will give you help and advice!
Old 14 November 2013, 10:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yeah yeah
Just winding you up a bit
Old 14 November 2013, 10:09 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Yeah yeah

The OP has got a budget that will see him comfortably into widetrack STi money, that's the best car to get. Plenty of poke on tap for most, excellent road holding and if he wants to take it further he doesn't have to throw half of it away.

Things to look out for are the typical things you look out for on a performance car, scored or worn disks, pads. Whining turbos, clunky gear changes, panel damage, rust, knocking sounds from the engine, service history and intervals of service. These cars are generally strong but don't take kindly to abuse. A common problem that isn't much to worry about is knocking from the rear shocks, it is easily fixed usually.

My advice is not to rush into a quick purchase, if you hold out then you'll get a great car on that budget.

Do factor in running costs though, if you've never run a performance car before these things can bite you.
Thanks Richard, I will take your advice on board. When you say expensive to run I understand that fuel bills will increase and sorting premium parts for service is a must to which will amount to high running costs. But I don't want to be needing to endlessly be replacing part after part like a bloody renault.
Old 14 November 2013, 10:13 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Just winding you up a bit
Haha

You are right though they were overpriced. Should have made 200 of them and charged £15k less.
Old 14 November 2013, 10:15 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Yep blobs all 2l unless they have had a 2.5 build. 2001 - 2002/2003 - bugeye - STI bugeyes are fine, but getting on a bit now. Youe £8K should see you in a a nice 2005 STI blob, but do have a good drive of it first!

Post any links to cars you are looking at on here, plenty of people will give you help and advice!
Thanks bud, I will search thoroughly and add links when I get home. I'm on a bb PlayBook at the moment and it's painstakingly slow
May I add that I'm so happy to get some very helpful advice too I really like the site
Old 14 November 2013, 10:21 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Jdm blob if you could find one that would be my next choice
Old 14 November 2013, 10:26 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
Jdm blob if you could find one that would be my next choice
They tend to command a little more of a premium over the UK models.

For the OP, JDM cars of this vintage come with twin scroll turbos as opposed to the single scroll ones we have over here. They rev to 8k as opposed to 7k and have a more rev-happy nature.

Twin scroll isn't for everyone, I think aside that issue it's a little hard to argue the JDM car is superior.
Old 14 November 2013, 10:32 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

For the OP, JDM cars of this vintage come with twin scroll turbos as opposed to the single scroll ones we have over here. They rev to 8k as opposed to 7k and have a more rev-happy nature.

Twin scroll isn't for everyone, I think aside that issue it's a little hard to argue the JDM car is superior.
Isn't the jdm the stripped out race version (blueprinted, no air-con, electric windows etc.. Built for track purpose..!!?
Old 14 November 2013, 10:39 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

JDM twin scroll are special, But even if you can afford one, try finding one for sale. Dont come up for sale everyday, so you might have to wait until one comes up!!!

I waited months for a JDM, gave up and bought a UK, to be honest I dont regret the UK STi, but if I would have waited 1 come up not long after buying mine!!!
Old 14 November 2013, 10:39 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Isn't the jdm the stripped out race version (blueprinted, no air-con, electric windows etc.. Built for track purpose..!!?
No thats a Spec C
Old 14 November 2013, 10:53 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
JDM twin scroll are special, But even if you can afford one, try finding one for sale. Dont come up for sale everyday, so you might have to wait until one comes up!!!

I waited months for a JDM, gave up and bought a UK, to be honest I dont regret the UK STi, but if I would have waited 1 come up not long after buying mine!!!
oh my days there is too many to remember.. Think I need to add NVQ on Ipreza's
Old 15 November 2013, 06:17 AM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

well found two on ebay i would really like. i wish i could afford the blue one
but the black one is worth a punt too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item1c38c031cb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2713209746...84.m1436.l2649
Old 15 November 2013, 07:28 AM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1

look what i found....

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...6YearTo%3D2005
Old 15 November 2013, 07:35 AM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

Max at hurst cars is a top bloke and you won't go far wrong buying from him
his service is 2nd to none

stu

Quick Reply: NEWBIE...