ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what tyres??

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2013, 11:57 PM
gmanwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tyres??

225/40/18 for my Hawke sti but what brand to go for??
What do we recommend peeps?

Thanks
Old 10 November 2013, 12:00 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanwrx

Thanks
im on pirelli p-zero rosso's on my 354bhp blob wrx,no complaints as yet
Old 10 November 2013, 12:08 AM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run mine on 235/40s
Old 10 November 2013, 12:15 AM
gmanwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt23
What make though?
Old 10 November 2013, 12:32 AM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to be Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2's , they are probably the best road tyre you can get at the moment. Mine have stood up to a fair bit of track bashing too, very effective in the wet on track. Predictable and grippy in the dry with decent life span. (2005 sti)
Old 10 November 2013, 12:33 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mich Pilot sports2
Old 10 November 2013, 12:36 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

bridgestone potenza's are a good choice aswell
Old 10 November 2013, 12:40 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by the shreksta
bridgestone potenza's are a good choice aswell
re050
Old 10 November 2013, 12:42 AM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

What make though?
Oh sorry. First set was Pirelli P zeros, but hated them and the second set was Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, very good in the wet and the dry

Last edited by Matt23; 10 November 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10 November 2013, 01:00 AM
Simon STi
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2's
Old 10 November 2013, 01:26 AM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks

for summer Bridgestone RE070 (did not feel as confident with them in winter or wet)

all rounder have Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 on at moment been impressed with them so far. especially in the wet.

other good choice is Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA it was a tossup between these and the Eagle F1

http://www.tyretest.com/summercar_ty...070/index.html
http://www.tyretest.com/summercar_ty...c_2/index.html
http://www.tyretest.com/summercar_ty...nta/index.html

stiffer side wall tyres seem to work better on the newage from reading various reviews.
Old 10 November 2013, 01:47 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Dependant on budget and type of use I run toyo R888 on my 18s and find them amazing tyres, still grip better in the wet than most other tyres I have used

Another tyre Is the yokohama AD08 again a great all round tyre huge grip levels
Old 10 November 2013, 05:43 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dan-
Dependant on budget and type of use I run toyo R888 on my 18s and find them amazing tyres, still grip better in the wet than most other tyres I have used

Best on uk roads all year tyres are f1 assym 2, 400 quid on camskill, next I would try ad08 r compound 600 set from chevron motorsport.
Old 10 November 2013, 07:02 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Federal RSR are supposed to be good, not tried them yet though.
Old 10 November 2013, 10:58 AM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goodyear asseymetric 2's are very good like other people have said. Kumho's are also pretty good and cheap too.

Last edited by Donnie Brasco 46; 10 November 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: .
Old 10 November 2013, 12:02 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's just put a new set on mine brilliant tyres good in both wet and dry.
Old 10 November 2013, 12:04 PM
The Veteran
Scooby Regular

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta for me I find them excellent in the wet and the dry.
Old 10 November 2013, 01:13 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta for me also, this is the second Impreza I've had them on now and I rate them highly. I've had a lot of different tyres over the years as I'm sure others have had, but these are great all round.
Old 10 November 2013, 02:33 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan-

I find the R888 horrific in the wet! Their wear rates are not really suitable for daily use either IMO.

I run Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my "road" wheels, no complaints. I've tried Continental Sport Contact 3 and Uniroyal Rainsports too, Vreds' are the favorite so far with the exception of my R888's on track

All these types of threads end up with is a list of arbitrary recommendations from all of the top brands. Some people like some attributes, others like different in my experience.

Providing you don't go budgets, you can't go far wrong.
Old 10 November 2013, 05:07 PM
justin price
Scooby Regular

Pirelli p7 blue for me. Very good in the wet and dry. Pleased with them.
Old 10 November 2013, 05:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Fonzey
I find the R888 horrific in the wet! Their wear rates are not really suitable for daily use either IMO.

I run Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my "road" wheels, no complaints. I've tried Continental Sport Contact 3 and Uniroyal Rainsports too, Vreds' are the favorite so far with the exception of my R888's on track

All these types of threads end up with is a list of arbitrary recommendations from all of the top brands. Some people like some attributes, others like different in my experience.

Providing you don't go budgets, you can't go far wrong.

Aye I agree with you on that.

My requirements for roads tyres on a daily driver is best grip in wet/damp condition at temps at around or below 10degrees. And this is my priority in a car tyre: Because lets face it...that is usually the worst case driving condition (bar winter) when I need the most grip in a emergency situation on a typical British day. And most tyres that are good in these condition will automatically have better grip when it is warmer and dryer.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2
and Contisport 3s are my favourite.

Not tried Vredestiens, But I have had P zero Rossos, and they aren't good compared to the above two, especially once the middle sipe has worn away and disappeared (only a few mm of wear)- then the tyre takes a massive dip in wet performance. I've driven P7s (a budget tyre BTW) on other cars and again first sign of water and they are sliding.

RE050s are ok-ish but like the Rossos they appear to suffer when the temps drop.

Yokohama Parada Spec 2 - like the P7: a budget tyre from a main brand...good in dry, suffers in the cold and wet.

Kumhos...the VW dealer I bought my Golf off fitted these. They were on the car a week before I demanded them to fit VW OE approved tyres like it was fitted with before they sold it to me (Michelins - what was clearly visible as being fitted on the car in the pictures on the website). That's how bad I thought they were.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 November 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10 November 2013, 06:30 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt23
thats the standard size on rb320

would 245/40/18 fit a hawk sti or would they rub arches?
Old 10 November 2013, 06:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron1978
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta for me also, this is the second Impreza I've had them on now and I rate them highly. I've had a lot of different tyres over the years as I'm sure others have had, but these are great all round.
+1

Going to try the 595 RSR's aswell though.
Old 10 November 2013, 06:37 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Oh one note on bridgestones, I had them on my Civic Type R and they were SO noisy. I've not experienced them on an Impreza, but I've read similar comments from owners of other cars. Good tyres in terms of performance though.
Old 10 November 2013, 09:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Oh one note on bridgestones, I had them on my Civic Type R and they were SO noisy. I've not experienced them on an Impreza, but I've read similar comments from owners of other cars. Good tyres in terms of performance though.

Noise from rear or front?

Point to note on Bridges RE050s, is on some cars the suspension geometry can cause RE50s to have a nasty habit of wearing the inner tread blocks in a saw-tooth/castle wall kind of pattern. This makes them noisy as hell and it gets worse and worse as they wear to the point you think the wheel bearings are shot.

Put it this way never stick them on the back axle of a VAG PQ35 ( A5 ) front wheel drive platform car (Octavia, Leon, Altea, Golf, A4 etc). Strange really as RE050s are factory fitment on many VAG cars - Like our Altea, that has since gone through a set of Good Years without issue and is now on Michelin Primacys, again with no issue.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 November 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11 November 2013, 07:51 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by ALi-B

My requirements for roads tyres on a daily driver is best grip in wet/damp condition at temps at around or below 10degrees. And this is my priority in a car tyre: Because lets face it...that is usually the worst case driving condition (bar winter) when I need the most grip in a emergency situation on a typical British day. And most tyres that are good in these condition will automatically have better grip when it is warmer and dryer.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2

Not tried Vredestiens, But I have had P zero Rossos, and they aren't good compared to the above two, especially once the middle sipe has worn away and disappeared (only a few mm of wear)- then the tyre takes a massive dip in wet performance. I've driven P7s (a budget tyre BTW) on other cars and again first sign of water and they are sliding.

RE050s are ok-ish but like the Rossos they appear to suffer when the temps drop.

Yokohama Parada Spec 2 - like the P7: a budget tyre from a main brand...good in dry, suffers in the cold and wet.

Kumhos...the VW dealer I bought my Golf off fitted these. They were on the car a week before I demanded them to fit VW OE approved tyres like it was fitted with before they sold it to me (Michelins - what was clearly visible as being fitted on the car in the pictures on the website). That's how bad I thought they were.
I agree ,any tyre will do a job on dry roads,but is other story when wet ,like in uk 10 months a year, wouldn't choose budget tyres when f1 assym 2 are for 100 quid per corner,I wouldn't touch Vredestiens to for 10 quid saving.
Old 11 November 2013, 08:56 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Have you tried Vredesteins out of interest?

If you have, you'll be the first person I've heard saying they don't consider them at least on par with any "known" premium tyre.
Old 11 November 2013, 09:03 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Ive bridgestone potenza s001 on mine cant fault them. 225/40/18 on 06 sti
Old 11 November 2013, 05:47 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I`ve got Goodyear eagle *** 2`s; safe and grippy, but very soft sidewall gives a vague turn in. It`s so soft that even tyre techs have said " your tyres are low"
Old 11 November 2013, 06:46 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Michelin Pilot Sport 2

Interesting about the kumhos, do you remember which ones they were? I've ran the kuhmo ecsta sport tyres on a few of my previous high performance cars and I loved them, only reason I used toyo proxes this time was because I couldn't get the kumhos after the tsunami hit japan as camskill couldn't get any stock in.

Mick

Quick Reply: what tyres??