Sponsored by:

Blimey these things are quick

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 07:48 PM
nickwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Had my first little play with a nissan pulsar gtir and he was all over me , flooring it in second and thrid gear he keeped up with me easily and finally lost me when he overtook me a lorry and two cars . I put it down too that he must have had more horses than me, he he!.
i've got 95 wrx with 270 bhp , and i'm having thoughts on buying one of these little pocket rocket's , but i've heard they break down alot is this true ? had fun playing with him thou,

nick.
Old 23 May 2002, 07:51 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

I've seen these for as little as £3,500...
Old 23 May 2002, 07:54 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

The term shopping trolley comes to mind..!!

Not as good handling as a scoob...
Old 23 May 2002, 08:01 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm ive got a my98 with prodrive bits on it, I had a but of a play with a Pulsar a week or so ago and thought it was a bit slow ?
This thing looked as though its been played around with a bit but as we came into an island i let him pass me as i didnt know which way he was going, i then quickly closed on him and was right with him upto 120ish (on an airfield of course cough cough )if he had pulled over im sure i could have got past him without to much trouble. After we came to some trafic we slowed down but im convinced i had the edge on him by some margin as i didnt feel at any time that he could get away from me.....wish id not let him past now .

Andy
Old 23 May 2002, 08:04 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

So thats what it was. I was out in the Maxi the other day and one rocketed passed me doing at least the ton. I was in overdrive minding my own business on the A20 near Swanley. I decided to leave him be as the road surface was a little damp.....Blutes
Old 23 May 2002, 08:34 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

it must have been a well tuned one,they are no match for the scooby in standard form,never mined a 270 bhp wrx.

test drove one before and i got out of it thinking ****,my old rs turbo would have saw that off!!!

what mods have you got to get 270 bhp???
Old 23 May 2002, 08:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

LOL@Blutes

I hope that was the electrical overdrive you were using!
Old 23 May 2002, 09:03 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Correct. Thank God there is someone on my wavelength. Its got a small switch on top of the lever to switch into overdrive 3rd 4th or 5th (yes it was the first car to have a five speed 'box). Its a bit sluggish in this mode, but click her into direct 3rd and does she fly !!....Blutes
Old 23 May 2002, 09:15 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

bluto is that an Austin Maxi 1750 ? or a code name for a special scoob ? maxi was my first ever car in 1982 when i passed my test
Old 23 May 2002, 09:30 PM
memski
Scooby Regular

Hey, these are great cars, 230bhp as standard 0.7bar and with exhaust, filter and bleed valve they can easily hit 280bhp if not more at 1bar. Solid engine-wise, the gearbox being the weakest link. As with most 10 year old cars there are many poor examples around, the good ones however are amazing value for money. We've got some good highly tuned examples going to ten of the best this August
Old 23 May 2002, 09:36 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

eh?

[Edited by Yorkie - 5/23/2002 9:38:53 PM]
Old 23 May 2002, 09:37 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

A standard one is as quick if not quicker in a straight line than a standard scoob-wrx's excluded.The handling isn't as good though but that's easily sorted(most are ready for new suspension anyway being around 10 years old)with a few bits like the whiteline handling kit and bumpsteer mod.I've got these and have driven around/inside several imprezas in the wet(couldn't catch Melllow at Elvington though).Brakes wise you've got the edge as the standard brakes are crap-even crapper than yours,but most people upgrade anyway.Power wise they're very easily fettled to 300bhp at around 1bar.
Mine has never once broken down in 3 years of daily driving,though I've worn the odd part out on trackdays.The main weakspot though is the gearbox which can't take mega power.
Old 23 May 2002, 09:40 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Wink

it must have been a well tuned one,they are no match for the scooby in standard form,never mined a 270 bhp wrx.
sorry I will have to disagree, a "correctly set up" GtiR is slightly quicker that a standard scooby in a straight line (awaits the onslaught!), they don't grip so well due to the puny wheels but they can be easiily changed, and so can the brakes, but the gearbox is the real weakpoint with big power.

I never had problems keeping up with standard scoobys in my GtiR when it was running standard boost, I even followed a Rally of GB a couple of years and came accross loads. Recently my R recorded 276bhp at Powerstation running at 0.95 bar due to a slipping clutch (will be changed soon). I only have a HKS detcat exhaust, bleed valve, K&N and NGK iridium plugs, and the car weighs about 1250kg, very basic mods giving a good increase.

The problem is that there are many GtiRs with incorrectly setup fueling, and as a result are at risk of damaging pistons or losing performance. They were, afterall, designed to run on 100 octaine fuel, so optimax is a must. Mine has been very very reliable over the 2 years i've owned it, although I give it loads of TLC. My brother sold his WRX after driving my GtiR (when it was standard!) and he now also ownes a GtiR now. They are raw, and many will say ugly, but they are fast and have a great balanced chassis.

IMO, if you stick a correctly set GtiR and a Scooby with exactly the same proven power, the R will probably do a quicker 1/4 mile. They always get better times at the pod (awaits onslaught).

[Edited by nisr227 - 5/23/2002 9:43:12 PM]
Old 23 May 2002, 09:51 PM
Turbo lag
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Had to slow down because it was damp!when it is wet it is the best time for us 4x4 drivers, you can realy have some fun drifting about.
Drive the car like it was supposed to be driven, and I don't mean take it on the school run or down to sainsburys like most scoods do.
PS can you tell I have got a Esc Cos.
Old 23 May 2002, 10:01 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

I used to have a circa 290bhp WRX, my friend had a properly setup 1 bar GTiR, running give or take the same amount of power. There was very little in it - my scooby had shorter gearing, was quicker off the mark, at higher speeds I guess the pulsar would have passed, but only down to gearing. I liked the look of the scooby, he liked the look of the pulsar... scooby handled better in both our opinions. Strangely his pulsar used to do about 15mpg, my scooby about 22mpg.

(should point out a classic shape impreza only weighs 1235-1270kg depending on model, so PWR is similar for both)
Old 23 May 2002, 10:14 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

They did do a lightwight Dakar GtiR (an off white colour) which without Air Con etc weighed about 1200kg, it also has a short ratio box so you had to change into 3rd before 60.

We've got some good highly tuned examples going to ten of the best this August
....this will be very interesting. I expect the really high power Skylines to be the quickest, but there are quite a few genuine 370-400bhp GtiRs going, and I heard a bloke with a 480bhp R may be coming from Holland too. Will be interesting to see how they get on with the high power scoobs and Evos.
Old 23 May 2002, 10:25 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

My flatmae has a sorted GTiR, suspension, brakes, boost, chipped etc.....and it aint no match for an STi, a standard WRX surely.
But bottom line the things are fugly!!!
Driving position is crap and they have a horrible exhaust note.....

As for the Top Ten, pity the WRX's we have locally pulling 11 sec 1/4's can't make it....
Old 23 May 2002, 10:30 PM
The Man From Rangoon!
Scooby Regular

good call mate,dem tings is damn hugly!!
Old 23 May 2002, 10:57 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

My flatmate has a sorted GTiR, suspension, brakes, boost, chipped etc
..it can't be "that" sorted then if the Sti beats it, power wise it just can't be setup properly. Get him to have a proper set up at PS, and fit the decent whiteline and PS Bumpsteer kit (about £800 fitted) and then compare them. At the end of the day all scoobs have evolved over a few years, the GtiR needs parts replaced and tuned mods to move on too when compared with the Sti's, the above mods make a huge difference, and I will be getting them end of the summer too.

Oh and most say it is fugly, I agree, but the looks are unique, and still rare. You need to like black though! I could easily buy an impreza through work (I sell fleet cars!) at below trade prices, but I choose not to becuase I wanted something "different".
I still like scoobs, especially the P1, I may buy one in a few years just to say I owned one.

[Edited by nisr227 - 5/23/2002 10:58:39 PM]
Old 23 May 2002, 10:58 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I saw one at halfords the other day and he started it up and ive never heard so much noise from the top end.... and it wasnt the timing chain either....

Dan
Old 23 May 2002, 11:04 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

...unfortunately there are a lot of GtiR dogs around becuase of a)their age (most are H reg) and B) a lot were rushed and imported to get on the band wagon, many very very poor cars with unkown history. I looked at about 15 before buying mine, a K reg that cost me 8k at the time.
Old 23 May 2002, 11:05 PM
ish
Scooby Regular

dhorich i've heard scooby's start up before with piston slap aplenty!!

dosn't mean to say they are all like that
Old 23 May 2002, 11:26 PM
Adam Munn
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Hi everyone this is my first post. I currently drive a clio 16v but am looking at scoobys, evo's and gti-r's at the moment.
The gti-r is a fav at the moment purely for power per pound value, although i drove two today and they were not a patch on the standard uk scooby turbo i drove the other day!
I'm trying another gti-r tomorrow with a few mods to it so it should be a little better, if not time to get a loan and decide between a scooby or an evo?????
Old 23 May 2002, 11:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If you ask me gti-r's are like Cossies. What I mean is they range from standard to silly powerful with lots of states of tune in between. By all means mess with them but be ready to get burnt if the owner has been chucking cash at the engine!
Old 24 May 2002, 01:59 AM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

nisr227- A GTiR would need to be quite heavily modded with higher boost to keep up with an STi. Im comparing my STi Type R with my flatmates GTiR with the whitline kit, 14 psi boost, aftermarket brakes. A type R will do under 13.5 1/4 miles and I seem to remember GTiR's not breaking into the low 13's unless they are heavily modified....As for handling....they can't compete.
Old 24 May 2002, 08:54 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Standard STI5 Type R with just a de-cat Exhaust with Ap clutch
12.99s at the pod last weeks Redline Rumble. 301Bhp as seen at PEs roller in march.

Can't see a Standard Pulsar with same mods getting same times.
In fact even with same bhp, my mate had one which he spent quite a bit on and he would always admit my car was quicker than his.

Mel.
Old 24 May 2002, 09:14 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

We had a Pulsar before the WRX. It was tuned to 322bhp by SE Motorsport in Maldon and has since ran a 12.3 at Santa Pod by the new owner. It was incredibly quick through the lower gears, but difficult in town driving as the power delivery was very aggressive. In fairness the handling was not as sure footed as the Scoob but certainly not as bad as some may think. Similarly specced Scoobs and GTiRs I would guess are very closely matched performance wise.
Old 24 May 2002, 12:57 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

A type R will do under 13.5 1/4 miles and I seem to remember GTiR's not breaking into the low 13's unless they are heavily modified..
...you never mentioned yours was a type R. But I disgree with the above, a correctly setup 1 bar (14psi) GtIR will do very low 13's 1/4 miles at the pod, I know of many who have got 13.1 and 13.2's with just basic mods. A standard one (10psi) has recorded a 13.7 second 1/4mile. There is also one running 1 bar/14psi but with front mount and hybrid that has ran a 12.8 run at the pod.

The PS bumpsteer kits makes the big difference in handling, not just the whiteline kit, unfortuantly big wheels (ie 17's) ruin the handling and most R's run these. Its better to run 15's or 16's with big brakes instead. The tuners at Powerstation who also know Scoobys and STis have said that GtiRs can be made to handling as good as Stis and Evos with the correct mods and wheel setup, and they have a demo car with big AP's to that affect.
Old 24 May 2002, 01:39 PM
WRX280
Scooby Regular

I've had a go against one of these on numerous occasions. Whether it was tuned or not i don't no. I have a box standard 98 UK spec (company car), and he blew me away.

However, i've also had a run with a couple with my MR2 Turbo (290ish BHP). Neck and neck from a slip road, after 80 odd MPH, i easily pull on him significantly.

Its definately not a car to be estimated.

Nisr are is right though, they need ALOT of TLC, and if given that they'll reward you!

Old 24 May 2002, 02:00 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

Each to his own I suppose, If the budget is restricted then they are an option, but for me I wouldnt want a car where I have to change all the major areas, (brakes, suspension, engine mods, etc to match other cars performance...and also look a little less cool doing it....LOL....

Quick Reply: Blimey these things are quick