ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newage Brembo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2013, 02:06 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Brembo Setup

Does anyone know if the Brake Lines from the Caliper's to the Master Cylinder (minus the braided hoses @ the Caliper) are made from metal?

Just trying to improve the system as still doesn't feel impressive, I've changed -

- Fluid to RBF600 Dot 4
- HEL Braided Hoses @ Caliper
- New Godspeed Discs: Front & Rear
- New Performance Friction Pads: Front & Rear
- Tegiwa Brake Stopper
- Fully Refurbished Brembo Calipers with s/s Pistons

Still not that impressed... without going down the route of upgrading the system to 6/8 Pots is there anything else to check or change?

Thinking of changing the pads to Ferodo DS2500's....
Old 29 October 2013, 02:09 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure exactly what they're made of... but they're "hard" if that's what you mean?

What specifically are you unimpressed with?
Old 29 October 2013, 02:14 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan-STi
Does anyone know if the Brake Lines from the Caliper's to the Master Cylinder (minus the braided hoses @ the Caliper) are made from metal?

Just trying to improve the system as still doesn't feel impressive, I've changed -

- Fluid to RBF600 Dot 4
- Tegiwa Brake Stopper

Still not that impressed... without going down the route of upgrading the system to 6/8 Pots is there anything else to check or change?

Dot 5.1 brake fluid is better again.
Old 29 October 2013, 02:32 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily...
Old 29 October 2013, 02:40 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Not necessarily...
OK............................and?
Old 29 October 2013, 02:42 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Not sure exactly what they're made of... but they're "hard" if that's what you mean?

What specifically are you unimpressed with?
The brake force doesn't impress me, the pedal has a hard feel, but when you emergency stop is more progressive, than 'put you through the windscreen' force. seems to slightly lock up also towards the end of the stop!
Old 29 October 2013, 03:01 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

dot 5.1 is not "better" than RBF600 as the DOT ratings need far more perusal than simply the numbers............

rbf600 is a race spec fluid that doesn't meet the longer life criteria specified by certain ABS systems and hence it is "only" dot 4 (some race fluids are not DOT at all)

the DOT ratings are generally min. requirements and dot 5.1 is simply a specific reg to meet certain ABS criteria, however certain 5.1's have the advantage of being a simple cost effective route to a "fast road" type fluid

as for pedal feel, you will never get a Subaru to have the instant "hit" that most European manufactured cars do simply because it has less servo effect added to aid more 'pedal feel' when pressing on
Old 29 October 2013, 03:15 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan-STi

- Fluid to RBF600 Dot 4
- Tegiwa Brake Stopper

I've just upgraded my Blob WRX to brembos at the front, and I feel the same. On my bug i had K-sport 8 pots at the front, and the breaking was amazing!

But this time round i went with brembo's because i dont go on track days and thought they would do. They are just not as sharp as my old K-sport.
I recently got my car mapped on the open road, and crapped my pants when i had to slow down quickly after giving it some beans for the mapper!

I'm hoping changing the rears to brembos too will help or make it better!
Old 29 October 2013, 04:31 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
dot 5.1 is not "better" than RBF600 as the DOT ratings need far more perusal than simply the numbers............

rbf600 is a race spec fluid that doesn't meet the longer life criteria specified by certain ABS systems and hence it is "only" dot 4 (some race fluids are not DOT at all)

the DOT ratings are generally min. requirements and dot 5.1 is simply a specific reg to meet certain ABS criteria, however certain 5.1's have the advantage of being a simple cost effective route to a "fast road" type fluid
Exactly... RBF600 is pretty good stuff.. I rate it more so than most if not any 5.1 product on the shelf of your local Halfords.

Originally Posted by AS Performance
as for pedal feel, you will never get a Subaru to have the instant "hit" that most European manufactured cars do simply because it has less servo effect added to aid more 'pedal feel' when pressing on
Thats not good news for me then Doesn't seem that there is much I can do other than spend 1k on bigger brakes

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
I've just upgraded my Blob WRX to brembos at the front, and I feel the same. On my bug i had K-sport 8 pots at the front, and the breaking was amazing!

But this time round i went with brembo's because i dont go on track days and thought they would do. They are just not as sharp as my old K-sport.
I recently got my car mapped on the open road, and crapped my pants when i had to slow down quickly after giving it some beans for the mapper!

I'm hoping changing the rears to brembos too will help or make it better!
Yeah, they just don't seem as good at all.. I've had 4 pot Brembo's before in a Focus RS which were insane. An my friend also has the same system in his Nissan 350z which is again insane.. the Scooby by comparison is very poor!
Old 29 October 2013, 04:55 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

I also went to Brembos because its few hundred quid cheaper than k-sports. But now i know the difference in stopping power, if i could go back, i think i would go with the K-sports again.
Although, i'm wondering if a change of pad will make things a lot better too. Maybe something like the blue stuff pads for the road, which i have used before, and has brilliant bite! But, can squeal a little.
Old 29 October 2013, 04:59 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
I also went to Brembos because its few hundred quid cheaper than k-sports. But now i know the difference in stopping power, if i could go back, i think i would go with the K-sports again.
Although, i'm wondering if a change of pad will make things a lot better too. Maybe something like the blue stuff pads for the road, which i have used before, and has brilliant bite! But, can squeal a little.
I would recommend Performance Friction two piece disc and pads that upgrade transformed the way my Brembo calipers worked.SJ.
Old 29 October 2013, 07:54 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

I would suggest as above pf two part discs and carbone lorraine RC5+ Or The RC6 pads

im running the rc6 and im waiting for my discs still but the stopping power is immense! i would also suggest swapping your fluid to what ive got ATE super blue racing fluid!
Old 29 October 2013, 08:02 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

What's the best pad to go for -

- Ferodo DS2500
- CL RC5+/RC6
Old 29 October 2013, 08:12 PM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Some great info for me as planning a big break conversion,
Old 29 October 2013, 08:16 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the front discs you have and put some performance friction discs and bells with some PFC Z11 pads.

I have these fitted to mine with braided lines, RBF600 fluid (strut brace has a brake stopper on it but makes little difference)

It really does stop, the PFC discs are like a calliper upgrade in there own right, while maintaining the OEM look/dust seals etc etc, I have not had fade on circuit and I do try

The difference between these and grooved/drilled standard discs with fast road pads is night and day.
They are a little woolly when stone cold but great once you have pressed the pedal a couple of times.

In my opinion the STI's should have shipped with 2 part discs and bells from factory.

Last edited by Ginola; 29 October 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 29 October 2013, 08:31 PM
turbosid69
Scooby Regular

I fitted aston martin vanquish ap 6 pots to the front of my blob sti well worth it
Old 29 October 2013, 08:35 PM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbosid69
I fitted aston martin vanquish ap 6 pots to the front of my blob sti well worth it

Bet that's some stopping power as the Aston weighs about as much as a bus.
Old 30 October 2013, 12:46 PM
Dbz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by turbosid69
How did you get them to fit out of interest?
Old 30 October 2013, 09:21 PM
turbosid69
Scooby Regular

Had a mate at aston martin get me the brake calipers and the went to bg developments in bromsgrove to help with the fitment only cost about £600 for the full job and stops a treat