Valuation for insurance

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2013, 09:42 PM
danos14
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valuation for insurance

Hi,

My car was hit this morning by a white van driver and looks to be a write off.

Its a 1996 wrx v limited, has 72K on the clock and was in pretty good condition. Interior good etc. It's standard apart from exhaust

What sort of money should I be fighting for from the assessor?

Thanks in advance.

Dano
Old 28 October 2013, 09:51 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I would start collating adverts for cars as similar to yours as you can. They will most likely offer you book to begin with which will not be great on your car.

If you present them with cars for sale, similar to yours you can, this proves to them what sort of money you need to replace the car.

The point of insurance is to put you back in the same (or as close as possible) the position you were in pre-loss (so effectively get you back in a car as close as possible to what you had, even though you may choose not to 'replace' the car like for like).

Look on here, other forums and pistonheads as values tend to hold a little stronger when enthusiasts are involved. Also any paperwork of maintenance etc can hep illustrate to them your car was a well looked after example and thus should hold more value.
Old 28 October 2013, 09:51 PM
Stuart89
Scooby Regular

They only give market value, search your car on webuyanycar.com and you wont be far off.

Stuart.
Old 28 October 2013, 09:54 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

You should have done an agreed valuation policy...
Old 28 October 2013, 09:54 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stuart89
They only give market value, search your car on webuyanycar.com and you wont be far off.

Stuart.
Id hope not, These offered me £800 for my Evo 6 RSX, I sold it private for £13k!!
Old 28 October 2013, 09:55 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To replace it you have to be looking at over £3k so find adverts for cars similar to yours and present them to the insurance company when they make you a daft offer.
Old 28 October 2013, 09:57 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Stuart89

Stuart.
Originally Posted by RobsyUK
You should have done an agreed valuation policy...
You are not....or at least shouldn't be....getting paid out by your insurer, If the white van was at fault (presuming he was as you say you were hit by the white van) then its his insurance picking up the bill. You may well be better off dealing with an accident management company TBH. You will get a courtesy car right away, out of pocket expenses and they will fight for the best value on your vehicle. All without effecting your no claims.
Old 28 October 2013, 10:20 PM
danos14
Scooby Regular

Thanks guy's, there is a accident management company dealing. They have sorted a hire car. I am not claiming on my policy but have notified them accordingly as I was driving and hit in the side by the van pulling out of a side junction.

I will search for some adds for these then, not many about though.

Thanks for the feedback all appreciated.
Old 29 October 2013, 02:12 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danos14
Thanks guy's, there is a accident management company dealing. They have sorted a hire car. I am not claiming on my policy but have notified them accordingly as I was driving and hit in the side by the van pulling out of a side junction.

I will search for some adds for these then, not many about though.

Thanks for the feedback all appreciated.
A bit late now possibly, but if white van man committed an offence - and driving without due care and attention ie. pulling out of a junction in front of another vehicle is an offence then:

a) they havent a leg to stand on (sorry, using a portugese keyboard !); and
b) points on their licence, as professional/self employed people, will be a killer and the best lever you will have.

Have you got witnesses?

PS might not be about until next week so apols if you think you haven~t had a response to any reply.
Old 29 October 2013, 08:33 AM
danos14
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
A bit late now possibly, but if white van man committed an offence - and driving without due care and attention ie. pulling out of a junction in front of another vehicle is an offence then:

a) they havent a leg to stand on (sorry, using a portugese keyboard !); and
b) points on their licence, as professional/self employed people, will be a killer and the best lever you will have.

Have you got witnesses?

PS might not be about until next week so apols if you think you haven~t had a response to any reply.

Hi and thanks,

The management company have sorted a hire car who are billing the other parties insurers direct so it looks like they already admit fault.

Not sure if anyone witnessed it, if they did they didn't stop.

Car back at home now so will contact the accident management company today to sort out getting it assessed. I guess this is the next step.

Don't think it will be going back on the road. Shame she was a good car.
Old 29 October 2013, 09:47 AM
Gavs blue scooby
Scooby Regular

buy it back cheap and break it, you might make a bit more money to get better car or to buy some upgrades for your new car(if your getting another Scooby)
Old 10 December 2013, 09:50 PM
danos14
Scooby Regular

right peeps, having trouble with the 3rd party insurance. Are there any insurance experts on here?
Old 10 December 2013, 10:05 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Expert might be a bit much, but I like to feel I have an idea.

What's up?
Old 11 December 2013, 01:47 PM
danos14
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Expert might be a bit much, but I like to feel I have an idea.

What's up?

Hi Chap,

Its a long story but here goes:

Was driving along a road with my two boys (5 and 3) in the back when I passed a junction on the left (a give way to the other side road) when the van didn't stop or giveway and just drove into the side of my car. The other driver got out and said 'sorry'. Details swapped but could not contact anyone as there was no phone signal were the accident happened. The delivery driver then proceeded to bugger off.

Contacted my broker and they said no probs we can deal with it and passed me to a AMC who then had another company sort out my hire car and vehicle repair quote via IMS and there sub-contractor who is a local accident repair company.

Quote came back as £3.5 so is uneconomical to repair and is now a cat c. and agreed with IMS a value of £2500. IMS have contacted the 3rd party insurer who are saying they do not accept liability.

Its been 6 weeks to get to this stage and need some advice on how I can get this pushed along.

The car is parked on the drive (un-driveable) and is in the way but has been 'storeage free' and now either need to put this into storage to clear the space so that I can turn on the drive and not have to reverse out onto the road OR break the car for spares in order to free some funds for buying a replacement car. I have opted to retain the salvage. I have writted to my broker today to give the 3rd party insurer 7 days to inspect the car before it is taken to a storage yard where I will seek to recoup the costs or it will be broken for spares.

Any advice is welcome on how to put some pressure on to get this sorted.

Regards

Daniel
Old 11 December 2013, 02:10 PM
TallRider
Scooby Regular

To be honest, it sounds like it is moving along alright. These things do take a while to be sorted out. You need to go back to AMC and push them to fight the liability battle. That's what insurers are there for, to fight your corner.
Old 11 December 2013, 02:11 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately this is quite a common situation.

The van driver is probably denying it was his fault, which is slowing the process, and why his insurers are refusing to admit liability.

One option is to claim off your own policy if you're fully comp, but it'll be on your record as a fault claim untill the other party admit liability, and you'd have to pay your excess (although this could be claimed back)

Your insurers have to give the 3rd party 'x' amount of time to reply, and can drag on for a while.

Eventually it could end up going to court, where a judge will decide who was at fault, although it normally gets settled before reaching that point.

There isn't really a quick fix, other than putting pressure on the 3rd party insurers, and having you broker make them fully aware of the claim details, in the hope they realise they'll be paying out, and will get it done quicker. (our broker should be doing this for you)
Old 12 December 2013, 07:23 AM
danos14
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply guy's, what a process and no wonder insurance is so expensive 5 companies and 7 weeks in a hire car to sort out damage to a car worth £2500. The fees will be a lot more than the vehicle cost.

Spoke to the broker yesterday and he has spoken to the 3rd party insurer and has moved thing along somewhat.