coilover fitting cost?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2013, 09:57 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilover fitting cost?

Hello my fellow Subaru lovers!

Its only been a month since I got my Sti and im loving every moment I drive it.
Every time I have a question I can be assured to get the answer from you guys.. ..so thanks again.
I bought some coilovers today from a well respected forum member (top guy) and now I need to know roughly what a garage will charge to install and setup.

Cheers, Gaz.
Old 27 October 2013, 09:59 PM
big_joe
Scooby Regular

A couple of hours labour max......easy job, not fancy having a go at it yourself?
Old 27 October 2013, 10:04 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Hey up Gaz. The fitting should be fairly straight forward, perhaps two hours or so to remove old suspension and fit new (provided no seized bolts). The time consuming element is the setting up. It has to be done properly and everything checked and rechecked. That can be a time intensive exercise. You must use someone who is proficient in setting up Subaru chassis.
Old 27 October 2013, 10:06 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_joe
A couple of hours labour max......easy job, not fancy having a go at it yourself?
It doesn't look too difficult to install them its setting them up I haven't a scooby about..no pun intended lol.
Old 27 October 2013, 10:10 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Hey up Gaz. The fitting should be fairly straight forward, perhaps two hours or so to remove old suspension and fit new (provided no seized bolts). The time consuming element is the setting up. It has to be done properly and everything checked and rechecked. That can be a time intensive exercise. You must use someone who is proficient in setting up Subaru chassis.
Cheers Maz I will check out my local area for any garages although I don't think Doncaster has any to my knowledge.
Old 27 October 2013, 10:38 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
+1.

The fitting bit is easy and should cost no more than £60. The setting up part is the difficult bit and should only be done by a competent garage.
Old 31 October 2013, 03:36 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
+1.

The fitting bit is easy and should cost no more than £60. The setting up part is the difficult bit and should only be done by a competent garage.
What does the setting up actually involve? I'm going to be having some fitted soon and I thought they just needed to take the old stuff off and put the new ones on, and that was it?
Old 31 October 2013, 09:10 AM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpy2010
What does the setting up actually involve? I'm going to be having some fitted soon and I thought they just needed to take the old stuff off and put the new ones on, and that was it?
Once the new ones are fitted the garage should set the ride height and comfort to your taste etc.
You will also need 4 wheel alignment doing as the tracking etc will be out....find out what garages in you area do 4 wheel alignment as not all do. The garage setting them up should tell you to get this done after if they dont have the equipment.
Old 31 October 2013, 09:48 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Preload.

http://www.zoomsquared.com/technical...load-explained

Last edited by MattyB1983; 31 October 2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:20 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

As said, getting them in there is a couple hours of work, and theres nowt difficult other than cracking the bolts.

Setup though, you get what you pay for and someone who says they can get them right in just a few hours wont be doing the same job as someone a bit more motorsport accreddited.

When you change one thing, the other things slip! For example adjust camber and it'll effect tracking, set the tracking and it'll pull the camber, then theres the ride heights which far too regularly get set without measuring the travel of the damper, so they end up sitting on the bump stops.

if its done in a few hours, the car will be set to a certain height (by measuring sill height), then once thats done it'll be cambered and tracked, thats the 2 hours done and by this point its a country mile off..... but im sure its how most coilovered cars out there are sitting.

At this point, the right way to do things is to go back to square one and start the measuring and checking and fettling to get all the numbers bang on.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:44 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Get yourself down to Chevron Motorsport in Stafford for a proper setup, you will not be disappointed
Old 31 October 2013, 04:21 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Just had a quote for £480 fully installed, setup and wheels aligned. ....other garages have quoted £110 fitted and setup but not the alignment which I was quoted £50 elsewhere. Massive difference!

Is it the case I own a subaru there for im must be loaded
Old 31 October 2013, 04:38 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

As said, you get what you pay for!

Go to Joe pikey bloggs down the road, spend a couple hundred quid, you'll have four wheels that point in the right direction ..... just about.

Go to Chevron, spend probably more than youve spent on the struts having them set, and youll have a motorsport setup that grips till the cows come home.

Spending in between those two bookends, the cost is probably roughly proportional to the job thats done.

Personally, as Banny says, the difference between the feel of a car thats had bits fitted and a car thats been properly setup is night and day.

Last edited by legacy_gtb; 31 October 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 31 October 2013, 04:41 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

had mine setup up at scoobyworld Monday, car was in chevron Tuesday having a service, Simon said it looks like they've cocked it up just by looking over the car and got it on the flat bed to check it out, and said they've ballsed it right up
Old 31 October 2013, 06:20 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

I understand you can pay more and expect a better job done but I'll bet some garages that charge more will not necessarily do as good a job as a garage that charges less. It comes down to experience and reputation we all know there are cowboys out there who who will tell you what you want to hear just to get your cash.

Last edited by Gazbaru1980; 31 October 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 31 October 2013, 07:49 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Chevron are the ultimate when it comes to suspension setup, they made my 600 + bhp type r from a fast car to a monster car!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...otorsport.html

Last edited by banny sti; 31 October 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 31 October 2013, 08:42 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Im not sure if carnetix are still on the go but they come highly recommended by me and many others..iv had my scooby their a few times, but having had my wagon garaged for nearly 3 years im a little out of touch..
Old 01 November 2013, 08:57 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gazbaru1980
I understand you can pay more and expect a better job done but I'll bet some garages that charge more will not necessarily do as good a job as a garage that charges less. It comes down to experience and reputation we all know there are cowboys out there who who will tell you what you want to hear just to get your cash.
Absolutely, couldnt agree more! youve got to weed out those who are swinging the biscuit.

And its not that a middle ground of expense means there a pikey cowboy or owt, its just horses for courses!

For example if i bought the mrs a wrx as a runabout, i wouldnt go to the extra expense over having anything more than a basic alignment ..... it just wouldnt be pushed like a track car so the advantages probably wouldnt get appreciated.