Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of coming back to the fold, with a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2013, 01:07 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of coming back to the fold, with a few questions...

Hello!

I'm thinking of returning to Scoob ownership, I want a nice practical car that I can fit the wife & kids in, drive in all weathers and maybe take to the occasional track day, it doesn't need to be that economical as I only do c.5k miles a year, and it has to be a wagon as I prefer the 'dressed down' look.

Oh and I'm coming from a 996 turbo so it needs to shift.

There's not much that can beat an impreza wagon but I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to list the differences, pro's & cons, must-have options and general thoughts between blob-eyes & hawkeyes?

Any benefit to having the 2.5 over the 2.0?

I've been looking at low mileage, un-modded cars on the net, they seem to be going for around £6/7k, does that sound about right?

I'd appreciate any advice you can give,
Cheers
Dave

P.S. I'm also considering a Forester if you have any opinions on those?

Last edited by DJFish; 27 October 2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 27 October 2013, 09:24 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

2.5 engines all have piston ring issues (read sticky at top of page) and all will go at some point. So, factor in the £3-4k rebuild cost if you go for the 2.5.

As regards to performance, I haven't driven a 2.5 but from what I hear, they aren't 'better', just different.
Old 27 October 2013, 09:26 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

If you want a wagon, as you probably know they only come in WRX form. so going from a 996 turbo to a standard WRX wagon, is not going to blow your socks off with excitement!! But if you want a good everyday car with plenty of space/room and 4wd then I cant think of a better car for 6/7k for a good example!!!

If you do a search on the hawkeye 2.5 there is a lot of bad reviews on it. But a re-built forged 2.5(i know you been looking at un-modded) makes a wonderful road car, plenty of torque!!.

Maybe a 2 litre blobeye would probably be your safe choice, But if your hell bent on a standard car, then at least look for one with the Prodrive Performance Pack, or one with a exhaust(doesn't have to be loud) and a remap(270-280bhp) with some good brakes and suspension for trackdays!!!
Old 27 October 2013, 10:06 AM
abre
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gear Head
2.5 engines all have piston ring issues (read sticky at top of page) and all will go at some point. So, factor in the £3-4k rebuild cost if you go for the 2.5.
As Gear Head said but read from post #1231 on page 42 same issue... But all 2.5s don't have ringland failure. I say this as the owner of one from new, run in by the book and no lunatic driving just pure enjoyment of the cars abilities but I had the living daylights scared of me by an over enthusiastic dealer mechanic pronouncing ringland failure on 3 cylinders. After a week in the workshop investigating car was returned a verdict of no issue, but it's logged and I've got two more years of manufacturers warranty so if it does go pop IM will fix it. Mine is a MY11 on a standard 295bhp, this factory map is actually suspected of being the root cause and I'm thinking of having the 320 upgrade from Subaru which is considered a good map for the UK, this will also maintain the warranty, just having a hard time justifying the £799 + labour cost If you do go for a 2.5 I suppose best advice is look for a good documented history.
Old 27 October 2013, 10:20 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

See there is all this bad press about the 2.5 but the 2.0 has its failures also. My car has had a 2.5 in it now for around 6 years, never running less than 350bhp since being built by subaru and been running up to 410 depending which map I use. Yes it's not run a standard map so that helps.
If you don't mess around with it and keep it serviced well you should be ok, as with any car there is always the chance of a failure

Last edited by chrispy200+; 27 October 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 27 October 2013, 10:20 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or just dont have the worry of engine trouble and buy a JDM..

Hurst have a black blob JDM for your budget on pistonheads i believe. You will never beat a 2.0 twinscroll, and they are fairly indestructable
Old 27 October 2013, 10:23 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
or just dont have the worry of engine trouble and buy a JDM..

Hurst have a black blob JDM for your budget on pistonheads i believe. You will never beat a 2.0 twinscroll, and they are fairly indestructable
Not really true, a safer bet to mod from but don't look after it right and it'll go pop as well
Old 27 October 2013, 10:27 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
Not really true, a safer bet to mod from but don't look after it right and it'll go pop as well
you could say that about any performance car...
Old 27 October 2013, 10:37 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
you could say that about any performance car...
There you go then
Old 27 October 2013, 11:07 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
There you go then
Its just I dont think I have ever seen such massive engine problems on the 2.0 JDM engine
Old 28 October 2013, 09:30 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice gents, I'm supposed to be taking the pork to its new home today and was going to pop in to see some Foresters in the Virginia Water Subaru dealer and this WRX as well since I'm in the area.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?atmobcid=soc3
Old 28 October 2013, 10:31 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome back

There's a lot of good comments above, the 2.5's are renowned as the weaker engine out of all the post 2001 STI's, that remain fact as far as I'm concerned.

WRX engines is a whole new ball game,and coming from a Porsche with a hungry appetite for power, I think you may need to forget this option.

IF you do NEED a wagon, then there are a few rare STI versions, but there like rocking horse shat!

Being a lover of YouTube clips (subscribe to some excellent channels), I'd say you would need around 500bhp in Subaru to keep up with a Porsche 996 Turbos output, so comparing or using the Porsche as goal post for Subaru selection would mean you would want something reliable, yet well spec'd.

A forged Hawkeye running 450/450 would probably put a smile on your face, and whilst not busting the bank, it would still remain reliable. It seems to me that once you get a Subaru past the 500bhp marker it become a whole new league in terms out outlay and heart ache, more so when approaching the latter end of 500.

A Porsche is a very nice car, and Trout made the grudgement days look easy when cornering at high speed in his Porsche, the lads that were keeping similar times in their Subaru's were high spec'd motors running 400+ with lots of weight removed! or were high 500s+ with more road going appearance.

Rob
Old 28 October 2013, 12:16 PM
6VOLT
Scooby Regular

Forester sti would be good. Looks awesome too
Old 28 October 2013, 01:53 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 6VOLT
Forester sti would be good. Looks awesome too
Agree
Old 28 October 2013, 02:42 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Never come across one but a Forester STi with an Engine tuner / APi / Finch forged rebuild would be an absolute monster.

I own a forged 2.5 hatch and it's a delightful thing (after having a 997 Carrera S ) Bags of torque, loads of power and a great road car. Practical too, though I have a Golf for daily duties out of choice.
Old 29 October 2013, 03:57 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

To be honest I'm not looking to get anywhere near the 911s performance (not yet anyway), that thing was insanely rapid and I'm happy to admit I was nowhere near talented enough to get close to it's limits, a nice, sensible WRX or Forester will do just fine!
Old 29 October 2013, 05:35 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DJFish
To be honest I'm not looking to get anywhere near the 911s performance (not yet anyway), that thing was insanely rapid and I'm happy to admit I was nowhere near talented enough to get close to it's limits, a nice, sensible WRX or Forester will do just fine!
If it's within budget one of these, OE newage cars are slow...particularly with your recent benchmark car, so an easy choice

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...om-new/1740889

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...pplied/1813865

Last edited by trails; 29 October 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: punctuation...
Old 29 October 2013, 06:38 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
If you want a wagon, as you probably know they only come in WRX form. so going from a 996 turbo to a standard WRX wagon, is not going to blow your socks off with excitement!! But if you want a good everyday car with plenty of space/room and 4wd then I cant think of a better car for 6/7k for a good example!!!

If you do a search on the hawkeye 2.5 there is a lot of bad reviews on it. But a re-built forged 2.5(i know you been looking at un-modded) makes a wonderful road car, plenty of torque!!.

Maybe a 2 litre blobeye would probably be your safe choice, But if your hell bent on a standard car, then at least look for one with the Prodrive Performance Pack, or one with a exhaust(doesn't have to be loud) and a remap(270-280bhp) with some good brakes and suspension for trackdays!!!
A Legacy is a much better "Wagon" option, especially in JDM guise. I had a WR Ltd Spec B GT 2l Twinscroll, 280 bhp flavour out of the box, it was awesome.

http://www.torque-gt.co.uk/index.php...&productId=842#

above your budget but it's a very good alternative.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:45 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Here's the new toy!
Old 08 November 2013, 02:04 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you finding it?
Old 08 November 2013, 04:57 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice looking fozzey, I quite liked mine with the leather and arm rests.

You'll be taking a long hard look at the whiteline catalogue soon.

Couple of anti-roll bars, front strut brace, few bushes, geo set up and mine was pretty decent for a big old bus.
Old 09 November 2013, 08:55 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Loving it!
It's certainly different from my last car but it's pretty quick as standard, handling seems like fun and something to take a bit of time learning how to get the best out of...
There are a few bits needing attention, the exhaust is on its last legs and the brakes are a bit rusty but overall it's in pretty decent condition.
Also need to sort out bluetooth & ipod integration, I don't know whether that means a new head unit or just buying a Parrot kit......