Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European Tour..... Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 03:57 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought the MY99 needed a change of scene form Scottish Roads this summer, so loosely planning a route heading from Belgium down through France into Switzerland, then into Italy over into Slovenia (Kranske Gorge) for some mountain biking then coming back through Austria and back to Zeebrugge probably through Germany.....

Seen a few pics on this board of people with stories to tell and wondered if anyone had any real life advice re any hassles they may have had. Availability of SUL, police hassles, toll costs, car prep, driving permits etc. etc.....I've checked most stuff on the web but real experience always bit better IMHO..!

Any input would be welcome and appreciated.
Old 23 May 2002, 04:44 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've been to Austria a couple of times (doing it again this summer in the STi), driving via France and Germany.

As far as fuel is concerned, you shouldn't have too much trouble through France and Germany it you stick to the autoroutes and autobahns. In Austria, getting SUL was ok as long as you stuck to the main roads, (the more rural stations didn't tend to have any).

I know people complain about the tolls on the motorways, but to be honest they aren't very expensive and the roads are not busy. Makes for a stress free (if not very interesting) drive.

Didn't have any trouble with the police, but then again I didn't break any speed limits On the way home though France, they did have a speed camer set up on the motorway and were stopping speeders at the toll booths a mile or two down the road for on the spot fines.

Remember to leave your radar detector at home (if you have one) as well. They are illegal in many countries and can result in aheavy fine just for having one let alone using it.

Both Austria and Switzerland require you to buy a "road fund" sticker to allow you to drive on their roads. These can be bought at the border posts. The Austrian one is reasonably cheap, (lasts about a week) but I have a feeling that the Swiss one is pretty expensive (I've not been, but I've been told that you can only buy them in 6 month denominations). I expect someone else on the board can confirm / deny this though. No problems with driving through France or Germany.

Most european countries also require that you have a warning triangle and spare bulb kit in the car at all times. And you need to take your driving license and vehicle registration document, (the police can ask for these and impound your vehicle if not provided).

One thing you will find is the scoobys are pretty rare on the continent (especially Germany / Austria) so expect to get a few gazes as you drive by

Have fun !!
Iain
Old 23 May 2002, 04:58 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Iain

Many thanks for that. Heard that in France the speed traps are frequent and if you exceed 25kph over the speed limit they confiscate your license on the spot!

Feedback greatly appreciated and thanks 4 taking the time

Simon
Old 23 May 2002, 05:09 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

No worries

Iain