Sponsored by:

SPEEDO ISSUES CLASSIC TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2013, 01:31 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SPEEDO ISSUES CLASSIC TURBO

Hi all not been here for a while since selling my n/a Scooby in December last year just bought a turbo classic very nice example completely standard very clean rear arches interior has seen better days but a little tlc should see it back to the way it should be anyway my issue is the speedo sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't sometimes I have to bang the speedo to get it to work sometimes it reads im doing 140mph when im doing about 20 :S I am baffled everything else works Rev, clock, odometer, petrol gauge has anyone come across this issue before? is it easy to fix or a big job

car is a 1998 s reg Subaru impreza 2000 turbo (green if that makes a difference )

I know everyone prefers blue

thanks in advance for your help
Old 10 October 2013, 01:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bad connection issue. It is quite a simple procedure to remove the whole set of clocks (search on here for a how to). I would do that and reseat the connections as a first try. That may be all it needs!
Old 10 October 2013, 01:41 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

ok cheers thanks for the quick reply I will try that at the weekend and let everyone know how I got on... I think I might change the speedo bulbs to LEDS while its out you know what bulbs I would need?

Last edited by SCOTTIEDOO1990; 10 October 2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo :D
Old 10 October 2013, 02:07 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My v4 does the same and from what i can gather it was a soldering fault but i only found this out after i had removed the clocks checked all the plugged connections and refitted them so for now i keep banging.
Old 10 October 2013, 02:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOTTIEDOO1990
ok cheers thanks for the quick reply I will try that at the weekend and let everyone know how I got on... I think I might change the speedo bulbs to LEDS while its out you know what bulbs I would need?
Pretty sure you have the facelifted dash in which case mucking about with the illumination is harder than the earlier cars. Do a few searches on here for 'dash illumination' and 'clocks LEDS' and you will get the gist. You can change it, but some changes produce unexpected or dim results.

When I had a 2000 UK car I wanted to change them to blue, but after looking at some results on here I gave up then I saw a few posts where people had made it work.

Plenty of info if you do a search or put a post in the technical section and someone with more immediate knowledge will help you out!
Old 10 October 2013, 02:23 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
My v4 does the same and from what i can gather it was a soldering fault but i only found this out after i had removed the clocks checked all the plugged connections and refitted them so for now i keep banging.
If that turns out to be the case you quite often get a set of clocks come up on Ebay or any of the breakers should be able to find a set for £40 or thereabouts!
Old 10 October 2013, 02:24 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

ok cheers glad you mentioned the cons before I tried
Old 10 October 2013, 02:28 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

Is it dry solder joints?? and do you mean on the actual pcb from the speedo?

What about a clock change? do you think that might work if its not a plug issue? also from previous experience with other problems with other cars I found electrical contact spray works well to clean off any dirty deposits... used it on ecu's, main fuse boards and many other electrical components in the past not sure if it would work here but may try a little if there is any dirt behind there I know I have a dead fly behind the front plastic :P how he got in there I don't know might give him a proper send off out the window
Old 10 October 2013, 02:29 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
If that turns out to be the case you quite often get a set of clocks come up on Ebay or any of the breakers should be able to find a set for £40 or thereabouts!
Ok that answered my question about most of my last post lol
Old 10 October 2013, 03:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOTTIEDOO1990
Ok that answered my question about most of my last post lol
Yeah don't worry about it as the breakers are breaking these all the time and a set of clocks will be very cheap

Try cleaning it up and reseating all the plugs first, if no joy call the breakers
Old 10 October 2013, 03:12 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

Yeah will do thanks for your help will let you all know how it goes at weekend
Old 10 October 2013, 04:56 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes from what i found out the problem is supposed to be dry joints so the next time i take the clocks out i will go round with the soldering iron and as for getting another set of clocks you have to be sure you get the compatible set and they might also have the fault and also the mileage would be wrong.
Old 10 October 2013, 07:11 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes from what i found out the problem is supposed to be dry joints so the next time i take the clocks out i will go round with the soldering iron and as for getting another set of clocks you have to be sure you get the compatible set and they might also have the fault and also the mileage would be wrong.
always thought mileage was stored on ecu and clocks and as long as you buy clocks with LOWER then your current mileage it would reset when all plugged in and display correct mileage? don't hold me to that tho lol thought I read somewhere a long time ago also your braver then me I wouldn't want to attempt to use the soldering iron on the speedo got a steady hand just not that great lol let me know if you ever fix yours and how... cheers, scott
Old 10 October 2013, 07:12 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

o yeah I got digital odometer not analogue 1 (if its called that lol)
Old 19 October 2013, 09:48 PM
SCOTTIEDOO1990
Scooby Regular

Finally got time to pull car apart today removed Speedo easier then I thought 5 screws in total lol... Looked at back and the plastic pcb is completely rippled looks melted although sprayed with electrical contact cleaner took front plastic off moved all needles by hand (gently lol) and all is now good Speedo works spot on... Downside I decided to put some red leds in and it looks s**t very dim and patchy lol but atleast I fixed the main issue