ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Preparing for arch repair.

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2013, 02:42 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for arch repair.

A week or so ago I had the slight bubbling paint on my Classic Turbo 2000 rear quarter panel repaired. It looks great but I asked how long it would last and he said it would probably only last a year or so before I should consider replacing the arches with new metal.

I have read up on discussions on here and it seems that although Subaru will supply replacement panels the cost is prohibitive and that one member who was looking into getting some made has come up blank. Therefore my only option is to try and cut them from a solid shell, but as most classics have displayed the same problem my chances are slim.

As I have this year in hand I am going to strike out and try and locate some solid replacements. I would guess that even thought there are plenty of cars being broken this will generally be due to rotting rear arches and those that aren't will not want to ruin a full shell for me to cut the arches out with my trusty Stihl saw.

Before I start a trawl of scrappies for possible donors, can anyone tell me where precisely do I need to check before selecting a good donor. Is it in the boot, under the rear arch or do I need to check behind the rear bumper?

Also are all classic Imprezas the same, imports and even the lowly 1.6 FWD versions.

Thanks
Old 04 October 2013, 02:52 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

A good body shop will cut out all the bad metal and replace with new metal they cut themselves. No need to buy replacement panels.
Another option is to use an opposite side front wing.
Old 04 October 2013, 03:06 PM
Genrix
Scooby Newbie

Scoobyclinic cut my arch out and replaced with new metal and they did an incredible job, as Matty said above i believe they fabricated the arch them selves. Cant recommend them enough tbh but im sure other body shops can do it too. Price was reasonable aswell at £350+VAT.
Old 04 October 2013, 03:17 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

one body shop i approached when i had my classic said about using an opposite side front arch can be used to make a rear arch replacement panel
Old 04 October 2013, 05:16 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

The method of using the opposite corner front wing to provide a repair panel is really only for the external outer arch, but I was always under the impression that the arches rot from the inside. If there is in inner arch it would have to go through that first, so that would be rotten first.
Old 05 October 2013, 01:35 PM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

Nothing to do with me................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item1c37468f3e
Old 05 October 2013, 04:06 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like a new age to me not a classic
Old 22 December 2013, 09:10 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

genrix, the scoobyclinic arch repair, 350+vat was that each side or for both?
Old 22 December 2013, 09:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Just be prepared for what a bit of surface rust might uncover when you start cutting:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-and-rust.html
Old 22 December 2013, 10:20 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

F1's link certainly shows what can be lurking!

However it's easy to check yourself especially on the passenger side, if you open the compartment where the jack should be stored this gives you easy access to the inside of the panel and takes literally two seconds to see what your dealing with.

In fact I just nipped out to the garage to take a few pics of mine which is due a repair to the passenger side shortly, so I can show you what I mean. OP, I'd certainly recommend you either have a look at the inside of your repaired arch yourself or check the bodyshop dealt with it. As you can see from mine the bubbles on the outside are at the point where a lot of people may not even notice them, but on the inside its much clearer. So 1 year maybe optimistic if the inside hasn't been treated!

Old 24 December 2013, 02:30 PM
Genrix
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sean999
genrix, the scoobyclinic arch repair, 350+vat was that each side or for both?
That was for just the one side, they said mine was pretty bad on the inside and they needed to cut out more metal than they first thought. Price didnt go up though so i was happy.
Old 24 December 2013, 03:25 PM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

F1's link is totally right this is the main cause of rusting rear arches so if this hasnt been fixed any arch rust will just come back and because it lets water in there it makes it way to the arch but also the other way to the rear sill. i would certainly put my hand up by the shock and just have a push and it will properly crumble away. All classics i have worked on have started rusting due to the part near the shock
Old 24 December 2013, 03:55 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Mine is doing this too but I'm getting the wide track arch extensions so a quick repaire then bonding the arch extensions on, is this cutting too many corners?