ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Tyre repairer chips my alloy!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2013, 03:30 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tyre repairer chips my alloy!

Got a flat yesterday due to a screw in my tyre so call out a mobile tyre repairer today to get the tyre repaired. Before he even touched the wheel I told him these wheels are my pride and joy and if you think you'll scratch/chip the wheel in anyway whilst removing the tyre I'd rather you not touch them! He replies its fine ill take them off by hand! Ok so he goes about removing the tyre and I'm watching his every move until mrs calls me in so leave him to it for a few mins to then get a knock on the door saying I can't get the tyre off as its too tight and damage maybe caused. Thought at this point I appreciated his honesty and told him to leave it and ill get someone else to fix it. To my amazement the b*llend has already chipped the wheel and apologises gets in his van and drives off!! Now I've still got a punctured tyre but also a friggin chip in my wheel....

To say I'm angry right now is an understatement! Sorry rant over

Takes a deep breath...

Martin
Old 02 October 2013, 03:50 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know your pain mate had my mint pff7s I had painted in October left them up the loft in bubble wrap till summer around April I got my tyres ordered and booked them into my local tyre place, told them to be careful as there mint and my pride and joy, got a phone call mid day to tell me a fitter has caught the whole edge of the rim with the tyre lever :@ my bloody was boiling! I felt sorry for the guy as I understand human error we all make mistakes it's just annoying!
Old 02 October 2013, 04:39 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan-
Know your pain mate had my mint pff7s I had painted in October left them up the loft in bubble wrap till summer around April I got my tyres ordered and booked them into my local tyre place, told them to be careful as there mint and my pride and joy, got a phone call mid day to tell me a fitter has caught the whole edge of the rim with the tyre lever :@ my bloody was boiling! I felt sorry for the guy as I understand human error we all make mistakes it's just annoying!
Sounds like you had a very similar experience mate. It is annoying and I appreciate mistakes happen but he just tried to hide any damage and run away. Anyways I'm a bit calmer now although still in the same position where I can't drive the car with a puncture. The wheels were all perfect with not one single mark on them which has annoyed me more. Guess ill have to over come the fear of having the tyre taken off and just get it sorted now

Martin
Old 02 October 2013, 05:28 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye
Sounds like you had a very similar experience mate. It is annoying and I appreciate mistakes happen but he just tried to hide any damage and run away. Anyways I'm a bit calmer now although still in the same position where I can't drive the car with a puncture. The wheels were all perfect with not one single mark on them which has annoyed me more. Guess ill have to over come the fear of having the tyre taken off and just get it sorted now

Martin
Yeah that's exactly what Subaru did when they serviced my car, tried to hide the fact the mechanic had clipped a curb on the road test by parking the car against the wall only as I'm soo **** about my wheels and car I check every panel after a garage has touched my car!

This is what they did to mine! Took 2 weeks of arguing to get them to repair it and now it's the wrong damn colour so I've got to have all 4 redone myself :'(

Your just going to have to trust someone and get it done on other way unless your local friendly garage will let you use the machines on a weekend? I always remove and fit tyres myself now so there's only me to blame
Old 02 October 2013, 05:38 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I have swapped tyres before and it can be hard with low profiles, but I wrapped round the rim in a few layers of blue masking tape. Helps Prevents Issues like this,
Old 02 October 2013, 07:40 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackvenom
I have swapped tyres before and it can be hard with low profiles, but I wrapped round the rim in a few layers of blue masking tape. Helps Prevents Issues like this,
My bad for just letting any joe try take the tyre off, think it'll have to go some where who knows how to take it off with out damaging it.

Hopefully mags will come along shortly lol

Martin
Old 02 October 2013, 08:00 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look what arnold clarke did to mine. https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...my-wheels.html

the repair they did was **** as well so im gonna paint them my self next year.
Old 02 October 2013, 10:33 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i take mine to a local place and i just say im a fussy kunt and he knows it now and so far, touch wood, he hasnt damaged a wheel and i had low profile run flats fitted and removed, so it can be done, you you were just unlucky i guess the guy didnt have the right tools
Old 02 October 2013, 11:16 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

had similar thing with my last wheels ,
are you confident to remove tyre without marking wheels as its mint
yes yes do loads bigger than these 19s 20s etc
oh sorry mate couldnt avoid that just touch it up arrrrrrrrrrr.

since fitting these xxr i have been paranoid bout this happening as this black chrome looks near impossible to colour match.

is there any tyre fitters by you who deal alot with the vw seen as they run some pretty mental wide dish rims.

could be excuse to other half to get them powder coated gloss black lmao

Last edited by maydew; 02 October 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03 October 2013, 05:43 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

THis is all a bit worrying! Don't these people have any liability insurance or do they have a disclaimer that all work is carried out at the owners risk?

All seems a bit odd too me that any monkey can come & mangle your wheels & walk away scot free.
Old 03 October 2013, 06:27 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had all four tyres replaced without a problem but the guy put one front wheel on slightly twisted and turned it, tearing a gouge out of the Brembo caliper. Same story: 'just needs a bit of a touch up mate'. After a sharp exchange they agreed to knock a bit off the price, nowhere near enough though.
Old 04 October 2013, 01:55 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
Talking

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye
My bad for just letting any joe try take the tyre off, think it'll have to go some where who knows how to take it off with out damaging it.

Hopefully mags will come along shortly lol

Martin

lol im here hovering

just done tyres on this last week 19x13j running 265,35,19 stretched ...i done by hand on the floor bearin in mind these wheels are worth nearly 8k and are a one off lol bum clenching

we use nylon levers and rim protectors before demounting any alloys

simples
Old 04 October 2013, 02:22 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Car looks very familiar to me, sure it's over on edition38......proper Jap VIP.
Old 04 October 2013, 03:19 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

yeah its on the cover of fast car this month and was at players etc
Old 04 October 2013, 04:15 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

That will be it then I've seen the build thread on e38 and at Players