Sponsored by:

performance difference saloon or wagon

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2013, 10:20 PM
PRB1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance difference saloon or wagon

Am thinking about joining the ranks of Scooby owners and for practical reasons am tempted by the 5 door/Wagon versions but also want it for occasional track day use.
Sorry for the dumb question, but can anyone guide on what the performance difference will be between the saloon and Wagon versions in non-modified form (assuming WRX not sti, and of comparable years - probably late 90's/early '00's). Are the Wagon's significantly heavier/slower/less capable on the twisty stuff?
Old 26 September 2013, 10:33 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A WRX Blobeye Wagon weighs 1410 Kgs whilst the Saloon is 1395 Kgs.

Not really alot in it.
Old 26 September 2013, 10:51 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Of all the ones I looked at (admittedly newage rather than classic) there was zero difference between a stock saloon and wagon in terms of feel and performance. And to be honest, for the fact that you've mentioned practicality I'd be inclined to go wagon if I had my time again regardless of any theoretical performance differential. At least on the UK classics you get split folds on the saloon, you don't get them on the newage!
Old 27 September 2013, 01:30 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

I would say wagon , but I'm bias towards them as I've got a V5 Sti wagon
Old 27 September 2013, 07:10 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote wagon, had a saloon before and my wagon feels better, but that may have something to do with the springs that are fitted to it, I need the practicality too, I had my washing machine in the back last week to take it to the menders and i'll be off to pick it up tomorrow, not a hope in hell of doing that in a saloon.

I did read somewhere many moons ago that the wagon handled better because of the weight distribution, but you'd have to do back to back tests to figure that one out, not sure how true it is though, I also wonder if the shape makes them more or less aerodynamic.
Old 27 September 2013, 10:04 AM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Another Wagon vote. Just helped me move house and still able to humble the repmobile brigade when needed. Take the plunge, you won't regret it. I'd been given horror stories by people about Subarus in terms of running costs. I can only say that those giving the advice either had not owned or driven one or the one that they did have experience with was a lemon as mine (touch wood) has been brilliant so far.........and it isn't like it hasn't been used.
Old 27 September 2013, 10:08 AM
fez the plodder
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 54 wrx wagon with standard dampers and new eibach springs and a geometry set up,brake lines and ds2500 pads and discs
I loved it the dogs didn't like the B roads in the back....
I also did a track day in it as it surprised me how well it handled in fact i was the weakest link with my shockingly bad driving on the limit
Old 27 September 2013, 10:29 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Until you look behind you, you'll be hard pressed to tell any difference at all.
Obviously a bit more weight at the back, and possibly not as stiff in the shell, but performance wise theyre on a par.
Old 27 September 2013, 05:52 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Not many cars as quick in the bends and bad weather, that can also carry white goods, dogs, etc. More subtle as well!
Old 27 September 2013, 06:04 PM
Porkpie
Scooby Regular

Thule roof rails and tri bike up top. Sorted, go buy one.
Old 27 September 2013, 06:28 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My V2 wagon was much more lively at the back than my identical spec V2 saloon. Was fantastic to throw into the corners and drift out. If you want more grip get a saloon.
Old 27 September 2013, 07:59 PM
PRB1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks -very helpful. re last post by 53 would I be right in thinking that suspension mods could bring level of grip/handling up to match the saloon?
Old 27 September 2013, 09:00 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything is possible Handling is quite subjective, the wagon 'handled' better but there was more grip in my saloon I always have the suspension focused more on rear end instability for preference
Old 27 September 2013, 09:43 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 for wagons. love mine to bits. do a search for jura,s wagon to see whats possible, its an awsome machine. i had a fridge freezer in the back of mine recently, no problem at all. performance wise mine is over 300bhp and is pretty quick. and as said they are a bit more subtle and i tend to not get a second glance from the rozzers.
Old 28 September 2013, 01:50 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Yes wagon is heavier,not sure how much.Handling is again very much subjective,have run our wagon like on the track or drag strip

Really depends on the suspension setup,brakes etc and when is suspension set in right way,you will and can be surprised how wagon can handle well on the track or drag strip

Rear end grip,from personal point of view,yes too I think rear end is slightly tail happier than saloon,this can be down to the saloon have wing and wagon have only one small spoiler,which I don't think helping alot,but still love drive our wagon on the track or the drag strip

Jura
Old 28 September 2013, 09:42 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the weighbridge weight of my blobeye wagon with 5 speed box and 1/2 tank fuel was 1480kg. I upgraded to JDM six speed/ diff etc and it weighed 1520kg.
Trev
Old 28 September 2013, 09:44 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's hardly anything between the saloon and wagon where you'd notice. However if you load one up a lot be careful you don't overload it weight wise.

We all know about the WRX wagons here, great cars for blasting down a B road fully loaded including a Labrador in the back The PPP'd cars have a welcome extra slug of torque over the base model. However, throw a grand at any WRX and you'll be pushing for high 200's on the torque and horsepower figures. I'd suggest upping the brakes for that, mind.

Other options around and about...

Wagon Imprezas are available until the JDM Bugeye as an STi model, occasionally bug STi wagons turn up among the classified ads. Actually want a clean one myself as a project one day.

There was also a JDM Legacy STi estate with an optional Porsche tiptronic box, one was up on Pistonheads fairly recently. While on the topic of Legacys (Pl. Legacies?) the UK had a model called the 3.0 Spec B with Bilstein suspension, bigger brakes, a 3.0 boxer six and an STi gearbox, I came so close to buying one as they're fantastic cars and no slouch either in manual form. Can be had for a song if you search well.

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 28 September 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 29 September 2013, 10:29 PM
PRB1
Scooby Newbie

thanks - the feedback has been really helpful. All I need to do now is find a Wagon. If anyone knows where there is one going preferably not heavily modified with sub 100k mileage at a reasonable price please let me know. Full service history is more important to me than condition of bodywork/interior as it will be used as my second car.
Old 29 September 2013, 10:34 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I vote wagon, had a saloon before and my wagon feels better, but that may have something to do with the springs that are fitted to it, I need the practicality too, I had my washing machine in the back last week to take it to the menders and i'll be off to pick it up tomorrow, not a hope in hell of doing that in a saloon.

I did read somewhere many moons ago that the wagon handled better because of the weight distribution, but you'd have to do back to back tests to figure that one out, not sure how true it is though, I also wonder if the shape makes them more or less aerodynamic.

you are comedy gold my friend
Old 30 September 2013, 01:45 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
[/COLOR]

you are comedy gold my friend
Do your home work my friend...

Old 30 September 2013, 11:38 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above. Had two P reg uk cars with identical mods including PPP,brakes tyres etc for 3 years at the same time. Foind I preferred the wagon. Seemed to have a tad less understeer and was happy to pop the rear out now and then, whereas the saloon was a bit more subdued and tended to wash wide.

Also the wagon sounds better inside lol

Still got the wagon

Old 30 September 2013, 11:55 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
Do your home work my friend...

Exactly, he's never got a clue what he's talking about, just pops along and spout's crap all the time, but you get used to it after a while, some think he's amusing, I just think he's an idiot.
Old 30 September 2013, 01:30 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be surprised if the wagon was dynamically superior but I have seen opinion-based feedback of estate cars "handling" better in car magazines.

A few years back I remember autocar saying the 5 series tourer being better balanced than the saloon especially in "M" trim.

I would say it is a little far fetched to claim that it's superior, though I am glancing at import lists for a good Bug Sti estate lol.
Old 30 September 2013, 01:35 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

I vote wagon too
More practical, less attention, and a rear wiper are just a few pluses for me
Old 30 September 2013, 04:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I'd be surprised if the wagon was dynamically superior but I have seen opinion-based feedback of estate cars "handling" better in car magazines.

A few years back I remember autocar saying the 5 series tourer being better balanced than the saloon especially in "M" trim.

I would say it is a little far fetched to claim that it's superior, though I am glancing at import lists for a good Bug Sti estate lol.
I'm not suggesting that it is superior merely posing the question, i'm not the sort to bookmark information and repost it at a later date, my comment is similar to your memory of the M5 in that it's something I remember reading.

The only praises i'm singing of the wagon over the saloon is it's ability to carry stuff, which is something I need my daily to be able to do, as do many wagon owners, in that context it is certainly superior.

It also happens to feel better, but as above that is subjective.
Old 30 September 2013, 04:50 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

wagons are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler than salons so it's a no brainer