Sponsored by:

clutch screech

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2013, 08:00 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch screech

i have started to get a faint screeeching noise when pulling away in my bug wrx im not sure what it is but it hasnt affected the way it drives ..........its defo something to do with this as if u roll slowly and push pedal up and down its the noise starts and stops!!!!!! it has a exedy blue box clutch fitted 30,000 miles ago surely my clutch should hyave a longer life spamn than that!!!!!!!! Any ideas anyone ?????????? im preying clutch isnt buggered as its going to seriously hurt my pocket lol
Old 23 September 2013, 08:13 PM
Ste1988
Scooby Regular

If the noise is there when your foot is of the clutch and goes when you press the clutch down I would say its most likely the clutch bearing ( thrust race bearing)
Old 23 September 2013, 08:20 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

oh dear is that a whole clutch replacement then or can it be done seperate !!!!!!! do0es it mean the gearbox etc has to come out too?????
Old 23 September 2013, 08:24 PM
Ste1988
Scooby Regular

Gearbox out I'm afraid mate, you can buy the bearing separate but if you am taking the gearbox out you am best just get a clutch kit. If the clutch is biting ok and not slipping I would just put up with the noise if its only faint. But you am best get it checked out properly as i have not heard the noise for myself
Old 25 September 2013, 09:29 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing and at a guess i'd also say it's the thrust bearing, which is a shame as the clutch pulls just fine, although I did feel a bit of slip a few months back in 5th, fortunately because of this I brought a spare AP clutch and lightweight flywheel that was sat in my garage and engine crane with me as I plan to do a few other bit's like cambelt and a hybred turbo and all the fluids over the winter, which I know has nothing to do with this but i'm just showing off.

I prefer to take the engine out as it's a lot easier than trying to drop the box on the floor if your a DIY'er, for you I'd say at 30k since last clutch just drop in a new bearing as there should be plenty of life left in the clutch, which is a bugger as the parts only about a tenner but it'll probably cost a couple of hundred to get someone to fit it.

I'm just hoping it holds out for another month or so as the weather is still nice here, 26 degrees today so i want to enjoy before the bad weather hits, oops there I go again showing off.