KSport Impreza Time Attack Round 5 Silverstone 2013

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2013, 12:34 AM
popeyedoyle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KSport Impreza Time Attack Round 5 Silverstone 2013

KSport Impreza Time Attack Round 5 Silverstone 2013

Our Time Attack event started with a rather uneventful drive down to Silverstone, until we bumped into a jobsworth security guard at the gate who refused us entry and ordered that we must sleep in the car park outside the track in the van that was full to the brim with tyres fuel and everything else required to keep a TA pro car competitive!....after 20mins keeping my cool and appealing to said guards better nature we finally were granted access….hallelulia... Mental note for next year…must get to the track before 11pm!

One new upgrade we had brought to Silverstone was a new Pikes Peak style front splitter, this was designed to counter act the new rather large DJ racecars rear wing (and the high speed understeer it brought). Thanks Dave for getting busy with welder Saturday afternoon to get the splitter mounted up in time!

So 9am the following morning came around after a cold night in the van and I had to turf the crew out of there beds….that rather late drinking session the previous night seemed not such a good idea now!!...nevertheless car was prepped, scrutineered, fuelled & transponder fitted all in good time for our first 10am session…this unfortunately lasted less than 2 laps due to Gordon Wrights Darrian dumping what looked like half a barrel of oil on the track and bursting into flames, a sight no driver likes to see. Still we did at least get to function check the car and logs downloaded everything appeared OK and sounded well.

Session 2 at midday arrived soon after, by then we had managed to fit some makeshift/prototype cannards/fences to the front splitter for testing….the track was now in good shape and the slimy surface you tend to get early on in the day had all but disappeared. Pro cars with slicks all lined up in the pit line now looking pretty serious….a good session for our car understeer was improved, but not eliminated. Toward the end of the session I could feel a lack of grip on the rear axle, I brought her back to the pit and on closer inspection a minor rear diff oil leak appeared to be the culprit. 4th place on the leader board after session 2, further setup work was required but at low boost with me still re-learning the Silverstone National circuit it looked like we should be competitive for the qualifying and final sessions.

Lunchtime came and went and brought the rain with it….coupled with rain was the scruitineers interest in our minor diff leak, so the crew made up a rear diff nappy that we taped to the top of the rear diffuser to contain the leak….it kept our scrutineer happy and actually worked far better than we imagined it could!.....full wet tyres fitted now and lined up in the pit lane once more, session started well and the investment I'd made in a heated windscreen last winter really did pay off, I could actually see through the thing!....oodles of understeer still not helped by lots of standing water all round the track, the car would turn in with grip, get to a certain patch of tarmac and the nose would loose all grip and push before biting again and continuing to turn in…I spent pretty much the whole session trying to find sections of track that offered the best grip, which invariably wasn't on the racing line…I brought the car in with a loss of power at the top of the rev range, diagnosis by the crew was the timing belt had jumped 2 teeth during two separate flat up shifts. I wouldn’t be going back out in the qualifying session. I had however posted a reasonably competitive time that had put me 6th on the overall timesheet.

So timing belt off, then back on (having re-synced the crank and cams) and we were ready for the final…we ummed and arrhed as to full wets or inters and we opted for the wets, I did have the crew on standby with a set of tyres for a quick change in the pit lane in case conditions changed when we were out on track…once I got the car round copse for the first time it was pretty clear we wouldn’t be coming in for tyres we needed every ounce of grip the full wets offered. The track conditions were very interesting to say the least, it would seem our friends on the public tracktime had dumped oil or coolant on pretty much every corner of the track, it was impossible to see mixed with the standing water…it’s the closest thing I've experienced on a track to black ice….grip, grip, grip….then step change to near zero grip….it was no surprise to see cars on the grass, gravel and every other bit of run off area round the circuit…halfway through lap 3 coming into maggots I went to turn in, the car didn’t respond at all and instead I sailed into then surfed through the rather deep gravel trap run off….patiently and carefully I managed to drive the car out the stones without getting too excited and beaching myself….I now had a reasonable measure of the track and grip (or lack of) it offered, the conditions appeared to be improving lap on lap too with a dry line beginning to form in places….I carried on pushing to the chequed flag and my efforts were rewarded with 3rd fastest time on the screens…still someway off Garth Lloyd and Gav Renshaw who were 3.1 and 1.8 seconds faster than me….

The team and I were happy with the result overall, it would have been better to be pushing for the top spot but given the conditions and the fact we have had little reliability this year we were happy to come home with the car intact and fully functional and a visit to the podium….

As always huge thanks to my mapper, Graham Martin and my pit crew on the day (Dave Grice of Scoobytechs, Rooster the boy and Stu Thomas) and to Paul Blaimire and Steven Darley for assistance on the day. Also thanks to my sponsors and supporters, Bren at KSport UK; Alan and Martyn at Enginetuner Plymouth, Steve Simson at SIMTEK Engine Management; Kaps Transmissions, Mark at Lateral Performance, Kev at APM, Andy and John at AET Turbos & Simon at SM Aerotechniques

Round 6, final round of the UK 2013 Time Attack Series takes place at Brands Hatch on Sunday 29th September.

Last edited by popeyedoyle; 13 September 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 13 September 2013, 08:51 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get to the bottom of why the belt was jumping??
sure you will already know about timing guides, etc. although not all are equal like most things, we have also found some tweeks we use when running aggressive anti-lag/launch & flat-shift that pretty much remove the potential for the belt jumping/backing the tension off

this is the first port of call