Buying Advice - 8k budget

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2013, 09:20 PM
geo17
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Advice - 8k budget

Hello guys,

I'm back again after an absence of a couple of years. I initially signed up here when i was looking for a Scooby the 1st time round. My search was put on hold due to having a baby, which I'm sure a lot of you know, is rather draining on the old bank balance!

Anyway, 1 child later, and a new job, puts me in the position to be able to start looking again.

I've wanted a Scooby for pretty much as long as I can remember, so excited at the thought of (maybe) finally getting to own one.

I need help, as I've been away from the scene for a while now. What should I look out for, what should I avoid etc...

I have a budget of around 8k. Ideally looking for a blob STi, or mint WRX with PPP. From what I've seen I dont think I would get a mint hawkeye for much under 10.

Should i be looking at a 2.0l or 2.5l? Type UK or JDM!

Also, when did the higher rate tax kick in on the Scoobys?Wwhat model's qualify for the lower rate of 260?

So many questions... heads hurting already! Over to you kind people, and I hope you can sort me out

Cheers,
G
Old 25 August 2013, 09:42 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the fs couple of impreza's around the 8k

I think jdm are rear and I ain't seen many of them fs
Old 25 August 2013, 09:53 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

for a scoob to hold its value then get a limited edition one like a P1,rb5 etc

if its a newage then a jdm blob with a 2.0 engine imho
Old 26 August 2013, 01:18 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by geo17
Hello guys,

I'm back again after an absence of a couple of years. I initially signed up here when i was looking for a Scooby the 1st time round. My search was put on hold due to having a baby, which I'm sure a lot of you know, is rather draining on the old bank balance!

Anyway, 1 child later, and a new job, puts me in the position to be able to start looking again.

I've wanted a Scooby for pretty much as long as I can remember, so excited at the thought of (maybe) finally getting to own one.

I need help, as I've been away from the scene for a while now. What should I look out for, what should I avoid etc...

I have a budget of around 8k. Ideally looking for a blob STi, or mint WRX with PPP. From what I've seen I dont think I would get a mint hawkeye for much under 10.

Should i be looking at a 2.0l or 2.5l? Type UK or JDM!

Also, when did the higher rate tax kick in on the Scoobys?Wwhat model's qualify for the lower rate of 260?

So many questions... heads hurting already! Over to you kind people, and I hope you can sort me out

Cheers,
G
Hi M8, and welcome.

First thing is that there's no point in worrying about the tax banding if you're buying a scooby. The difference in tax (£280 against £400-odd) is FAR less than the margins you can negotiate on a car.

At 8K there's a lot of decisions to be made - older, modified machines, or standard, well looked after, or cheap OK ones that you can put money into, upgrading them etc. etc.

What do YOU want - an investment (and a profit when you re-sell), your money back when you come to sell it on (a period of 'free' motoring), or are you prepared to have a low net cost per year of ownership?

I bought mine on the basis of having a year or two of trouble-free motoring and being able to sell it on for not much short of what I paid for it.
Old 26 August 2013, 12:33 PM
geo17
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
I bought mine on the basis of having a year or two of trouble-free motoring and being able to sell it on for not much short of what I paid for it.
Ideally this, although im not sure how trouble free it will be buying an 8 year old car.

Looking for an un-abused example, that I can have a few years of fun driving, and sell it on for around the same price. That would be ideal.

MY05 / MY06 Blob STi still the way to go?
Old 26 August 2013, 12:52 PM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

There's a nice crystal grey widetrack forsale on here I see earlier!!!

Harri