Sponsored by:

STI advice...Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2001, 12:10 PM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys, please give me some advice. Am looking at buying a 1998 STIv4 typeR. It has done 70k but the engine was re-built at 30k (by GGR) due to melted pistons. I've been warned off this car by a m8 who's had a few STI's, simply 'coz of the engine rebuild. I woulda thought it'd be fine seeing as someone like GGR has done the re-build??? Also, what exactly is the difference between v4 and v5??? Replies please...pretty please!
Old 22 April 2001, 02:35 PM
GraemeF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Bryn,

I would speak to more people that have had work done by GGR. Get a list of customers they have done work for and contact them.

It shouldn't be a problem for GGR to give this to you if they feel that their work is SAFE and reliable.

I have heard of poor work from GGR previously, (10months+) ago and personally would not have GGR do any work to my mota!

I do know of one guy that has an STi4 which has had the boost and other bits done by GGR
and he uses his car in Rally Sprints and he seems to push it quite had and it lives....

Again, do some research before you commit to anything!!

Also, get a COMPLETE list of what engine work has been done to it. You will have some idea of the standard of parts, etc that have been used!

[This message has been edited by GraemeF (edited 22 April 2001).]
Old 22 April 2001, 08:39 PM
Dan_M
Scooby Newbie

I am about to buy a scooby too and am also intrested in the differences in the various STI / WRX versions.

Any kind person know or can point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Old 23 April 2001, 12:42 AM
Dan_M
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I have found all I needed to know at
Old 23 April 2001, 09:19 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I've only ever heard of a few of melted pistons (and it's always no.3) and they have always been associated with ECU upgrades or serious track abuse. I thought the STi5's and later had more problems than STi4's (and earlier) as they are less tolerant towards UK fuel. (The problems are caused by running lean).

I would wonder what else on this car would be excessively worn !
Old 23 April 2001, 12:04 PM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Talking

Graeme

Thanks for the reply!
Old 24 April 2001, 08:41 AM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Old 25 April 2001, 11:07 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Also try
Old 25 April 2001, 01:19 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Casting my mind back, there are differences in the suspension, trim and engine.
A few people did advise me to wait for the V5 rather than plummet for the V4.
Mines on
Old 25 April 2001, 01:30 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Bryn, out of interest ow much is the car going for?

I think you will find that in the current climate you dont need to restrict your viewing to this car as there will be a lot of bargains out there.

You can never be sure what has been used to rebuild an engine so will not know the tolerances etc. I would hunt around at your price range and I am sure there will be something else around.

Aside from that.

sti has red painted manifold, alloy suspension parts thereby reducing unsprung mass, supposedly different engine internals such as sodium cooled valves, uprated pistons, possibly rods, but there are so many models that no one knows without talking engines to pieces. Some stis also have closed deck blocks etc.

Between sti 4 and 5, there was a change to the front bumper I prefer the new, and the rear wing is the same as teh later english cars on the 4 whereas the 5 is more p1 like.

The 5 most crucially has a phase two engine which has different heads. It is supposedly more susceptible to being run on uk fuel, but if you treat it well such as octane booster and 97 ron, it should be perfectly okay. Always worth getting knocklinks etc to be safe and keep an eye on.

Experienced mappers such as Bob Rawle think that the phase 2 engines respond much better to mapping, but this is subjective. I dont map so I dont know.

If there is anything else I can help you with mail me offline.

Adam
Old 25 April 2001, 07:25 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I recently (january) purchased a 97 STI v3 TypeR, that has got 86Kish miles on the clock (actually reads in Km)

It had a new engine put in around 70ishK, unfortunatly i dont know the reason why the previous owner went for a complete new engine as opposed to rebuilding the old engine.

I'm more than happy with it and i paid £11K.

Phil.
Old 25 April 2001, 11:55 PM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks for the replies - please keep 'em comin, I am touch & go whether to buy this or not.

Adam, the car is a 1998 typeR up at £13500 but I have made on offer due to the car needing some work. ie. Needs new windscreen, some paintwork, no alarm fitted and I think no t & t. It is a v4, doesn't have the original spoiler, has 70k on the clock (with full service history I think) but was rebuilt at 30k by GGR (I have details of engine rebuild totalling nearly £4000???). It has 18" radius alloys, looks decent and doesn't drive like a car that has done 70k.

The red trim around the seats doesn't extend all the way round the headrest. The heater controls look different - somehow, and there is no passenger airbag. The engine is indeed red and it has i/c spray and that diff switch thingy in the centre console.

Old 26 April 2001, 01:16 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

This is too much money for a car with uncertain history, and this milage.

Don't get me wrong it is a lot of car still for the money, but with the market as it is you should be able to get a genuine low milage sti 4 type r for around 14k to 15k.

Are you sure you want a type r?

Dont know how muc experience you have of them, but you may find you dont like them as they feel nothing like the four door to drive.

Keep looking, autotrader or exchangeandmart should offer something, also try iain litchfield, he can get these things at great prices.
Old 26 April 2001, 09:10 AM
CB
Scooby Regular

Don't touch it!!

Sorry, but it just sounds like its had a very hard life.

All parts should be original. My STI, whilst now 6 years old is completely original with even the co-drivers flare in the passengers footwell and orginal factory rally STI mudflaps, rally fin etc.

There are now so many Impreza's floating about (pity really) that earlier advice about finding another one seems the best way.

I found my STI at a dealer of imports who did not know the differnce between WRX and STI and forecorted them at the same price. This was a few years ago and they have since wised up. But prices have really come down (again a pity unless buying for the first time).

Good luck. And as for Graham Goodes work, well I think it is the best I've come across.

CB
Old 28 April 2001, 12:14 AM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Question

Old 28 April 2001, 12:15 AM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Question