Sponsored by:

Rattle from parcel shelf area

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2013, 02:15 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle from parcel shelf area

Has anybody else had a rattle from the parcel shel area? Its driving me mad!!!! I have taken the seats out atleast 5 times now trying to track it down, but it comes back every time. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09 August 2013, 02:28 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the mechanical boot lifter mechanism thingy (those bars which hold the boot lid up).

I've got it in my list of things to do to take it all out and go for a drive, then reconstruct it with some grease and maybe some padding.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:33 PM
CarBen Fibre Creations
Former Sponsor

Ive got one in mine, was gonna rip the car apart tomorrow to find it so will check the boot lifter
Old 09 August 2013, 02:38 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Check your speakers are screwed down properly?
Old 09 August 2013, 08:22 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses guys, I shoved a microfibre cloth between the black box that contains the seatbelt, and put some felt tape on clip type thing the seatbelt comes out of on the actual parcel shelf, this has reduced the rattle quite a bit, but still there, so there must be more than one rattle.
Old 10 August 2013, 10:00 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I'll checkout the seatbelt mechanism tomorrow.

I changed my suspension today, and on the shakedown drive I had a friend in the back without the rear seats hunting for this rattle. He couldn't find ANYTHING obviously loose in either the boot or as part of the seatbelt mechanisms at either side.

Real puzzler.
Old 10 August 2013, 11:21 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

i have pulled mine apart 3 times now ! I suspect the parts where the back of the rear seat hooks on , a metal hook on the seat rattles against a bar on the bodywork near the parcel shelf.

be warned , once one rattle is cured , another reveals itself !
Old 10 August 2013, 11:49 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Have any of you checked the tool kit isn't rattling that you get with the spare wheel, and/or the jack?
Old 11 August 2013, 12:16 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
i have pulled mine apart 3 times now ! I suspect the parts where the back of the rear seat hooks on , a metal hook on the seat rattles against a bar on the bodywork near the parcel shelf.

be warned , once one rattle is cured , another reveals itself !

Had my seats out today and the rattle remained.
Old 11 August 2013, 10:30 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

This fixed mine

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...mechanism.html
Old 13 August 2013, 06:54 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I'm getting really upset with this rattle now, I think it's taunting me.

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed mine down to the area behind the left shoulder of the passenger who would be in the back, on the passenger side - so right near the suspension turret.

I've swapped my springs/shocks out for coilovers this week (so it's not the suspension strut rattling, as I've had two different ones in!) and until I complete my alignment/adjustments I'm keeping my rear bench out of the car which is allowing me to TRY and troubleshoot a bit.

I've had the whole trim out surrounding the seatbelt mechanism and I've taped down all wires, clips etc. There's a little box with the "Clarion" logo on it which I guess is some kind of radio antenna booster which I've stuck down with padded sticky pads incase it was rattling against the shell. I've put sticky pads behind the seatbelt spool thingy incase it was clanging against the chassis, and I've made sure that all the trim is tightly down.

I've had the doorcard off and made sure everything is secure under there.

I've put little padded felt sticky pads down in the boot where the rubber feet on the bootlid touch the shell and I've greased all of the boot lid "spring" thingies.

It's still occuring, and I REALLY don't want this to beat me.

The only thing left is the actual boot hinge which is buried in the parcel shelf somewhere, I'm not sure how that could be rattling - but I'll get the parcel shelf off later to investigate.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:31 PM
scooberuni
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it the strap/handle above the passenger door? I know this rattles on mine becasue I've had people in the back hold it and the noise stops. I'm not sure how you fix it though as I don't know how the strap comes off.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:51 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Hmmm possibly, I've just been out and if you yank on the handle it kinda locks into place. Reversed out of the drive and could still hear the rattling so that's not fixed it, but tomorrow I'll rope the missus into driving whilst I sit in the back and try to manipulate the handle.

It seems like it's coming from the seatbelt roller thingy, but I've pulled on it, shook it, hit it, allsorts and I can't replicate the sound with the car stationary.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:03 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Ive done the same, back seats out again, all plastic out, parcel shelf out, felt tape applied to anything and everything that touches the car body, you name it I felt taped it.

Fcukin rattle has moved to the opposite side now, also hearing the nsr strut clunking

Although I did drop a screw, and its gone into this, cavity type thing, under a bar thats under the seat. Dont know if its this thats rattling now.

Need to find a magnet and see if I can get it out, now the front of the car is rattling.

Why on earth do scoobs rattle so much!!???
Old 13 August 2013, 10:04 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Hmmm possibly, I've just been out and if you yank on the handle it kinda locks into place. Reversed out of the drive and could still hear the rattling so that's not fixed it, but tomorrow I'll rope the missus into driving whilst I sit in the back and try to manipulate the handle.

It seems like it's coming from the seatbelt roller thingy, but I've pulled on it, shook it, hit it, allsorts and I can't replicate the sound with the car stationary.
MAke sure the hooks for the back seat are actually in, looks as though they are all in but they're not.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:06 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I think I dropped a screw in that same place, luckily I had a spare!

My seats are completely out of the car atm, so it's definitely not related to the hooks.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's just the damn shell flexing and touching somewhere, I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING is secure, nothing has any movement by hand... at least not that's visible.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:09 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Had somthing simalar to this before. Was the rear seatbelts where they bolt into the c pillar. Remove them and try it. There held in with 2 bolts. I just repositioned the mech so as it didn't touch the body. You'll see what I mean when ya see it.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:10 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I think I'm going to put a perspex barrier up level with the backs of the front seats then just fill the rear of the car with expanding foam.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:20 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

I think I dropped a screw in that same place, luckily I had a spare!

My seats are completely out of the car atm, so it's definitely not related to the hooks.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's just the damn shell flexing and touching somewhere, I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING is secure, nothing has any movement by hand... at least not that's visible.
lol its really stupid why they have put a hole there!

I was going to put some sound proffing down when I finally install a sub, the way things are I might just do it sooner.

The rattle is really driving me mad now.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:23 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
Had somthing simalar to this before. Was the rear seatbelts where they bolt into the c pillar. Remove them and try it. There held in with 2 bolts. I just repositioned the mech so as it didn't touch the body. You'll see what I mean when ya see it.
Is it the bolts with the little plastic runner things that go into the c pillar or the reels which are near the struts a bit further back?

On mine I put felt tape between the metal washer on the runner thing and the plastic washer, this removed all movement, but rattle still there.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:24 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

I think I'm going to put a perspex barrier up level with the backs of the front seats then just fill the rear of the car with expanding foam.
I know how you feel!
Old 13 August 2013, 10:25 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I'll investigate the runner thing tomorrow, by investigate I mean take it off
Old 13 August 2013, 11:40 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Is it the bolts with the little plastic runner things that go into the c pillar or the reels which are near the struts a bit further back?

On mine I put felt tape between the metal washer on the runner thing and the plastic washer, this removed all movement, but rattle still there.
No it's the actual reel mechanism. There's a metal tang that touches the pillar and makes a rattle. Just bend this or reposition the mech accordingly.
Old 13 August 2013, 11:49 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
No it's the actual reel mechanism. There's a metal tang that touches the pillar and makes a rattle. Just bend this or reposition the mech accordingly.
Thanks mate, will take the seats and plastics out again in the morning.
Old 14 August 2013, 08:34 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

My "progress" for tonight...

I removed both elements of the seatbelt, the roller/spool and the pivoting "runner" and the noise persisted on the test drive. Bolted them both back in, then got the missus out to drive me round the block a couple of times so I could listen.

I'm almost certain it's coming from the boot hinge, but I've got no idea what to do about it. I loaded the mechanism with grease from above and then found some old dynamat leftovers so I covered most of the right hand side of the bare metal beneath the parcel shelf.

Cut my hands to shreds and my back hurt, so got **** on and came inside instead of test driving... i'll update tomorrow.
Old 14 August 2013, 08:43 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Your tenacity is admirable Kyle :-D I'd have long since thrown the towel in!
Old 14 August 2013, 08:44 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

It's taunting me man
Old 16 August 2013, 04:36 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Still can't find it

I removed the boot "springs" tonight, those metal poles which are twisted to cause torque and hence lift on the boot lid.

I then climbed in the boot and had the missus take me for a ride, I could hear it but couldn't see ANYTHING moving or touching anywhere.

When I'm on the back seat, it sounds like it's coming from inside the boot. When I'm in the boot, it sounds like it's coming from the back seat.

It can't be my suspension strut as this sound has been consistent across two suspension setups, but it's definitely in the region of the boot hinge/suspension strut.

Old 16 August 2013, 05:20 PM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Really hope you find the fault must be very frustrating!
Old 17 August 2013, 02:37 PM
STOOBOY
Scooby Regular

Bit of a long shot but my exhaust bracket/hanger on left side of back box squeaked/rattled. The bit fixed to the car not the back box. Go give it a shake. Worth a look. Easy enough to rule out.

Quick Reply: Rattle from parcel shelf area