Sponsored by:

best place for price and quality for forged internals

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2013, 01:00 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best place for price and quality for forged internals

as above where's the best place for the below that I could price up as say a kit? try the usual like lateral,as etc
forged pistons like cosworth/cp/manley
decent set of rods
acl bearings
valves
Old 26 July 2013, 01:20 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Grant

As above you mentioned Lateral Performance,AS Performance,Advanced Automotives,Engine Tuner or RCM are able sort you out here in UK with above mentioned parts

If you are looking buy parts elsewhere(worldwide) then you have more option like from US where parts are usually cheaper than over here

In USA I would suggest Real Street Performance,No Limit Motorsport,those companies we are used and they're been spotless with the pricing and delivery/collection

Jura
Old 26 July 2013, 01:22 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx fifer
as above where's the best place for the below that I could price up as say a kit? try the usual like lateral,as etc
decent set of rods
acl bearings
valves
I can't believe that no-one's responded.

However, you only do it once, so presumably no-one's in a position to say who's 'cheaper' than who.

* SAY what you want;
* GET a quote for that, and;
* compare the quotes to what Andy Forrest quoted, since they/he is in the same country !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26 July 2013, 01:44 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

what you on about Andy Forrest for???? I was just going to price up some parts for a friends motor buddy and the threads only been up for a few mins!! tbh your post is no help and you clearly think you know something when you don't!!, was looking to see if anyone came up with anywhere I had not already thought of like Jura and advanced which I had over looked so thanks Jura.

Grant
Old 26 July 2013, 03:02 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

what you on about Andy Forrest for???? I was just going to price up some parts for a friends motor buddy and the threads only been up for a few mins!! tbh your post is no help and you clearly think you know something when you don't!!, was looking to see if anyone came up with anywhere I had not already thought of like Jura and advanced which I had over looked so thanks Jura.

Grant
Oops.

"was looking to see if anyone came up with anywhere I had not already thought of" - so we're all psychic are we, having to work out what you had
not thought of?

You had " not already thought of like Jura and advanced", which by your own admission you "had over looked".

I therefore wondered if you had also overlooked your countryman Andy Forrest.

You see, I'm blessed (or is it 'cursed') with deducing that 'Fifer' refers to Fife in Scotland, and my understanding is that AF is based there (in Scotland).

Anyway - your post didn't indicate that you'd thought of AF, I'm not psychic, and therefore I know nothing that you do, or you know something I don't, such as your own mind.

And I'm glad.

Well at least I think I am.
Old 26 July 2013, 05:59 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Andy F doesn't sell engine parts welsh chap that would be why grant never mentioned him.
Old 26 July 2013, 06:28 AM
Swedge
Scooby Regular

He sells turbos doesn't he?

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2013, 06:32 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Yes Andy can sort you out with a turbo but that's it, he does not supply or fit engines or internals
Old 26 July 2013, 06:32 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swedge
He sells turbos doesn't he?
Yes but thats not engine internals.
Old 26 July 2013, 06:39 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Also worth giving Andy Williams (Williams Motorsport) a bell.
Old 26 July 2013, 07:33 AM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Ive ordered a parts a few times from real street performance including my forged internals and they have been spot on every time.
They sell more than whats on their website as I got my replacement twinplate parts from there.
Old 26 July 2013, 09:59 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Also worth giving Andy Williams (Williams Motorsport) a bell.
Excellent advice indeed Let me know what sort of power you want to be capable of and i'll work some options out for you.
Andy-07917204738 pp@wms-racing.com
Old 26 July 2013, 10:24 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

decent set of rods
acl bearings
valves
Cant really advise where to buy as my builder (paul Finch) supplied the parts when he built the motor but Mahle pistons are very good and a lot cheaper than the makes you listed.
I've read somewhere thatr Mahle actually make the Cosworth pistons. Not sure hoe true that is but it wouldn't surprise me as Mahle make about 80% of the worlds pistons.

Last edited by chopperman; 26 July 2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:34 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Just about to build another stroker and I'm using Mahle pistons/Manley rods/cossie stopper gaskets/rcm ultra head studs and acl race bearings,mostly supplied by alyn at AS performance who is spot on with prices and service
Old 26 July 2013, 01:14 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

nah, he's rubbish that bloke Ryan.............
Old 26 July 2013, 01:55 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

thanks guys have seen some good package deals for mahle pistons and Manley rods!
Old 26 July 2013, 02:29 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

thanks guys have seen some good package deals for mahle pistons and Manley rods!
It's best to go for the 4032 alloy for road use as opposed to 2618. they will rattle less when cold as the 4032 will have less heat expansion than the 2618.
Old 26 July 2013, 04:49 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

spec the piston material on power requirements NOT road or track IMO..............

if they are specced and honed correctly they are not a noisy piston either way in our experience
Old 26 July 2013, 06:56 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
spec the piston material on power requirements NOT road or track IMO..............

if they are specced and honed correctly they are not a noisy piston either way in our experience
True but in most daily driver type cars Mahle reccomend 4032 over 2618. 2618 are bound to need a looser tolerance due to to the materiel expansion over 4032. This will cause a rattle when cold and it cant be good having pistons rocking in their bores, even if the pistons are stronger.
I know you build engines for a living which is why i'm surprised your arguing this point. I believe the 4032 are ok up around the 650-700 bhp , which should cover most road cars.
http://www.mahle.com/C125708F0068F67...HHDWY074STULEN
Old 26 July 2013, 07:51 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

its exactly because of the amount of engines i have built that i am debating it.............

as stated spec the pistons to the correct build not to their use
Old 26 July 2013, 08:10 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

its exactly because of the amount of engines i have built that i am debating it.............

I'm not saying "dont spec your pistons to the build". Im saying generally 2618 is not suitable for road cars. By road cars i mean cars that get several cold starts per day and engine long life is required. Im not questioning your experience, but to point that out and expect the debate to end there is arrogant mate. Your assuming the person you're debating against knows nothing of building engines and because of your experience you have no need to elaborate nor we question.
This is what Mahle say on the subject of 4032 against 2618.

4032 is a high-silicon, low-expansion alloy. Pistons made from this alloy can be installed with tighter piston to bore clearance, resulting in a tighter seal with less noise. 4032 is a more stable alloy, so it will retain characteristics such as ring groove integrity, for longer life cycle applications. Relative to 2618, 4032 is a less ductile alloy, making it less forgiving when used with boosted and/or nitrous applications.
The majority of Mahle forged PowerPak kits are made with 4032 alloy and require no additional piston-bore clearance. Mahle pistons are perfectly engineered to allow for the proper clearances assuming normal operation. For example, Mahle pistons for a small block engine will provide proper .0025"-.0030" clearances--right from the box.
2618 is a low-silicon, high-expansion alloy that is used for extreme-duty racing applications such as NASCAR, ALMS, etc. Due to its high-expansion characteristic, this alloy is engineered with additional piston to bore clearance. At the start of a cold engine, the pistons expanding process can be heard and is commonly referred to as the "piston slap". Once the engine warms up the noise subsides as the piston expands to its running clearance. 2618 is a more ductile alloy and grants higher tolerances with higher resistance to detonation. The forgiving characteristics allow for the most extreme conditions, but longevity is eventually negotiated after countless heat cycles.
Mahle pistons are designed for specific applications with the alloy that is best suited for that particular application.
Now i maybe wrong but i was under the impression the op was pricing up parts for a mates car and assumed this car to be a road car rather than full blown race car?
Also im not saying dont use 2618, i'm saying normally 4032 is the better choice for most road car applications.
Old 26 July 2013, 08:20 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

you seem to make an awful lot of assumptions about my posts when i have made a couple of very clear simple statements and nowhere can i see i have been arrogant or told anyone they have no knowledge or experience - i also cant see anywhere that implies exactly what this build is to be so have kept it very general (we always discuss each and every build/project at length so the customer gets the "right" set-up for them)

i stand by exactly what i have stated based on over 15yrs of professional building and far longer than i care to remeber before that - i also stated its IMO (in my opinion) so no doubt others will have their reasons and opinions and thats perfectly fine by me too
Old 26 July 2013, 08:33 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Chopperman,wind your neck in fella as your making yourself look silly
Old 26 July 2013, 08:46 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Chopperman,wind your neck in fella as your making yourself look silly
Sheep ! TRY READING WHAT I POSTED AND SHOW MW WHERE I'M WRONG BEFORE CALLING ME SILLY !. caps an accident but cant be arsed to re-type.
Old 26 July 2013, 08:53 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

you seem to make an awful lot of assumptions about my posts when i have made a couple of very clear simple statements and nowhere can i see i have been arrogant or told anyone they have no knowledge or experience - i also cant see anywhere that implies exactly what this build is to be so have kept it very general (we always discuss each and every build/project at length so the customer gets the "right" set-up for them)

i stand by exactly what i have stated based on over 15yrs of professional building and far longer than i care to remeber before that - i also stated its IMO (in my opinion) so no doubt others will have their reasons and opinions and thats perfectly fine by me too
I dont think i made any assumptions. I stated a piston spec for a road car and a spec for a race car. Rather than elaborate your opinion on these specs you desided to post.

Thats what i called arrogant ! nothing personal mate but where was i wrong in my suggestion and reasoning behind it ?
Old 26 July 2013, 08:57 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Lol,is it that time of the month
Old 26 July 2013, 09:03 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chopperman
I dont think i made any assumptions. I stated a piston spec for a road car and a spec for a race car. Rather than elaborate your opinion on these specs you desided to post.

Thats what i called arrogant ! nothing personal mate but where was i wrong in my suggestion and reasoning behind it ?
you obviously have never dealt with me or know me from Adam (and i you) - pretty sure i'm the least arrogant or assuming person you could deal with

just for debate though - if 2618 is so "bad" then how come Mahle only use this for certain spec/applications of pistons and also why dont Cosworth/Omega/CP/et al offer various options and suffer these drastic issues??
Old 26 July 2013, 09:10 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

you obviously have never dealt with me or know me from Adam (and i you) - pretty sure i'm the least arrogant or assuming person you could deal with

just for debate though - if 2618 is so "bad" then how come Mahle only use this for certain spec/applications of pistons and also why dont Cosworth/Omega/CP/et al offer various options and suffer these drastic issues??
Im sure you are a nice person. My remark wasn't meant to be insulting, although i felt slightly insulted of not being worthy of debate regarding my suggestions.
Nowhere in my posts did i say 2618 were bad. That's putting words into my mouth. All i said was generally 4032 was the better option for road cars. That opinion shared by many including Mahle, especially were long engine life is required.
Old 26 July 2013, 09:19 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

sorry but the only person i can see putting words in mouths or making assumptions is yourself??? you have done it again by taking my post as an insult now??? couldn't be farther from the truth

what was there to debate, i stated an opinion of mine that parts should be specced to the build and not just to the use the car is for.............and i still stand by this as it MY view

also Mahle (as many other companies do, particuarly in the States where these are produced) post their statement mainly as a "get out of jail free card" so you cant complain about noise or associated issues

having built and refreshed many high power engines used as daily drivers i have yet to see anything that would stop me using "race" pistons for certain applications

anyhows moving on, lets just put it down to an "internet" thing and the fact you cant see any associated emotion or inference in my posts
Old 26 July 2013, 09:26 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

sorry but the only person i can see putting words in mouths or making assumptions is yourself??? you have done it again by taking my post as an insult now??? couldn't be farther from the truth

what was there to debate, i stated an opinion of mine that parts should be specced to the build and not just to the use the car is for.............and i still stand by this as it MY view

also Mahle (as many other companies do, particuarly in the States where these are produced) post their statement mainly as a "get out of jail free card" so you cant complain about noise or associated issues

having built and refreshed many high power engines used as daily drivers i have yet to see anything that would stop me using "race" pistons for certain applications

anyhows moving on, lets just put it down to an "internet" thing and the fact you cant see any associated emotion or inference in my posts
Fair enough.

Quick Reply: best place for price and quality for forged internals