My WRX vs my new company car!

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2013, 10:39 PM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My WRX vs my new company car!

Hi

I have a Hawkeye WRX with standard discs and some standard god speed kevlar pads.

However 2 weeks back I started a new job and with that job I have a BMW 320d M sport. I went out for a hoon tonight in my Impreza for the first time since takling the BMW - the novelty of driving a new BMW has started to wear off. (however I will continue to use it for work and boring local trips, ie supermarket etc) keeping the Impreza for more fun drives.

Any way just got back from my hoon and first thing I noticed was just how crap my brakes felt compared to the BMW. Now I need better brakes! But I'm worried that even if I got a big brake kit that it still won't be as good as the BMW brakes.

Anyone else had any experience with Impreza vs BMW brakes?

Also the clutch is very different feeling on the Impreza too, the pedal feels so heavy and has quite a resistance now when I lift the clutch compared to the lightness of the BMW clutch. The Impreza clutch isn't worse, just totally different feel lol. Brakes though.... HELP!
Old 24 July 2013, 10:53 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Ian @ Godspeed. The end.
Old 24 July 2013, 10:58 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wrx brakes are crap period.
You can add braided hoses, better fluid and pads - they're still crap.
Brembos are better, K-Sports, D2's or AP's are better still.
Don't buy cheap discs and pads. End of.
Old 25 July 2013, 09:54 AM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

BMW brakes are always good, I have the same problem I have wrx and a BMW and there like chalk and cheese, it always worries me considering my wrx is 60bhp up on the BMW diesel
Old 25 July 2013, 09:56 AM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

Yeah getting better pads wont make any difference. When I replaced my pads in March the old pads that came off were DS2500 and to be honest the cheaper standard godspeed pads I bought didnt feel any different. If I bought DS2500 pads I would have been mad to be honest.
Old 25 July 2013, 11:10 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

You need to decide how much money you're willing to spend
Old 25 July 2013, 11:25 AM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Just to put my 2 cents worth in. I had a E92 330D M sport and since have upgraded my standard brakes on the GB270 Wagon to a full Brembo set up with braided lines and high performance pads, net result = still not as good as the BMW by some ways. I cant comment on the D2 , K sport or AP's but if you want a peddle feel like the BMW you will be disappointed with the Brembo's IMHO.
Old 25 July 2013, 11:48 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The BMW probably is mega assisted. Just 'cos it 'feels' better doesn't mean it is.
Old 25 July 2013, 11:57 AM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
The BMW probably is mega assisted. Just 'cos it 'feels' better doesn't mean it is.
I have tested braking distances and the BMW is certainly better by some way compared to the brembo's GB270. However I must state that this is somewhat biased towards the BMW as the 330D MSport comes with an upgraded caliper compared to the OP's car. I believe they are 6 Pots compared to the 320D 4 Pots.
Old 25 July 2013, 12:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your comparing apples with oranges.

All standard subaru brakes are basically crap, there is only two letters you need to know when it comes to stopping a subaru effectively and repeatedly.

AP.
Old 25 July 2013, 12:51 PM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

The BMW I have does brake far far better than the my WRX. It actually makes my WRX feel unsafe now. I need new brakes, but I will be honest I don't know where to start with them.

The WRX isnt completely standard either its running 275bhp and 360lb/ft so makes it even worse when the BMW is only 184bhp.

What options do I have? I do have Inovite replica wheels... see here

Also I dont have those crappy Toyo types anymore I now have a full set of RE050A from Bridgestone.

Last edited by acemodder; 25 July 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 25 July 2013, 12:57 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd +1 AP's, calliper/rotor. I run mine with ds2500 for road use - great combination. If you can try to scrounge a ride or two in some local scoobs with some decent set ups and perhaps go from there.
Old 25 July 2013, 12:59 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Same here, comparing Brembos with bluestuff pads and stock BMW brakes from a 120d, the Brembos feel wooden and crap especially when cold.
Brake fluid is a couple of months old and using braided brake lines.
I am going to replace the pads for some PF Z rated ones.
Old 25 July 2013, 01:07 PM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
I'd +1 AP's, calliper/rotor. I run mine with ds2500 for road use - great combination. If you can try to scrounge a ride or two in some local scoobs with some decent set ups and perhaps go from there.
I know nothing about brakes. Can you provide me with the links to what you have recommended?
Old 25 July 2013, 01:09 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

If the ABS is firing, might consider better rubber?
Old 25 July 2013, 01:12 PM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
If the ABS is firing, might consider better rubber?
No ABS doesn't kick in, its fine. Just that the brakes feel rubbish in general. But I don't know where to start.

Do I just need calipers, discs and pads? or do I need more stuff? I'm a noob when it comes to technical stuff.
Old 25 July 2013, 01:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I'd go with new pads of some sort as a cheap option, and also give the disks a good clean.
Old 25 July 2013, 01:32 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acemodder
I know nothing about brakes. Can you provide me with the links to what you have recommended?
As the others have stated all depends on the budget you have. Personally if on a low ish budget I would suggest the Brembo's from an STI as a suitable replacement as they will give you more confidence when braking. They wont be as good as the BMW's but certainly a great deal better then the stock set up.

There is always sets for sale on Scoobynet as they are a very popular upgrade. Alternatively speak to Matt @ Pole Position. He trades on this site under the traders section. He often has a few sets in stock.

If you have money to spare then go for a new set of D2 or Ksports or a used set of AP's
Old 25 July 2013, 01:39 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The standard brakes on a WRX are absolutely shocking, I remember the first time I drove one, really impressed with the power and acceleration and appalled just how bad the standard brake setup is.

When I had my WRX. a mate of mine had a 320d and one morning was right behind me on the way to work. The way you can just leave one of those things standing made me chuckle.
I do think the BMW's are a really nice drive, however.

Last edited by Norman Dog; 25 July 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 25 July 2013, 02:34 PM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

Ive been looking round and I think I'm settled!

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=2145
Old 25 July 2013, 03:09 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

why not get some bmw discs and callipers and make them fit?

best of both worlds then lol
Old 25 July 2013, 03:20 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acemodder
Ive been looking round and I think I'm settled!

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=2145
Yep them are good ones but you can get them cheaper then that from Aztec Performance. Look them up on the Internet or contact them via the traders section on the site. Good bunch of lads
Old 25 July 2013, 03:46 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

be careful with the comparison, as stated above bmw's and may cars of this type are very overservoed which isnt always a goood thing.
Old 25 July 2013, 03:52 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigballs
be careful with the comparison, as stated above bmw's and may cars of this type are very overservoed which isnt always a goood thing.
Why is that? Not trying to be condescending just cautious as to why that is not always a good thing?
Old 25 July 2013, 04:24 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

D2's seem better on paper as they're basically the same kit but with dust seals (K-Sports don't).
If I had to buy new now I'd probably be going for the latter.
That said, my 330mm K-Sports are light years ahead of *standard* Brembo brakes, pads and discs.

You'll note I say "standard" because if you combine Brembos with a good set of two piece discs like Performance Friction with good pads then apparently you really start to notice a difference.

With the price of PF discs though, I went K-Sports....
I could cook my Bug WRX 4 pots in 2 hard stops, whether the pads were Kevlar, DS2500, etc, discs were Godspeed / BrakeTech all with braided lines and 5.1 fluid - it was frightening at standard power let alone 280bhp.
On a classic they're probably more appropriate but the lardier newage is just too much for such a poor setup.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 25 July 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 25 July 2013, 04:58 PM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PrimeKos
Yep them are good ones but you can get them cheaper then that from Aztec Performance. Look them up on the Internet or contact them via the traders section on the site. Good bunch of lads
Aztec are £899.00 for the kit
My link of £889.99 for the kit

I have emailed them anyway to see if they can offer any discount for me. Lets see what I get back
Old 25 July 2013, 04:59 PM
acemodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
D2's seem better on paper as they're basically the same kit but with dust seals (K-Sports don't).
If I had to buy new now I'd probably be going for the latter.
That said, my 330mm K-Sports are light years ahead of *standard* Brembo brakes, pads and discs.

You'll note I say "standard" because if you combine Brembos with a good set of two piece discs like Performance Friction with good pads then apparently you really start to notice a difference.

With the price of PF discs though, I went K-Sports....
I could cook my Bug WRX 4 pots in 2 hard stops, whether the pads were Kevlar, DS2500, etc, discs were Godspeed / BrakeTech all with braided lines and 5.1 fluid - it was frightening at standard power let alone 280bhp.
On a classic they're probably more appropriate but the lardier newage is just too much for such a poor setup.
I looked at the D2 kit, but didnt want to spend a £1K+ on a brand I have never heard of. Maybe that's niave of me.
Old 25 July 2013, 05:05 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Why is that? Not trying to be condescending just cautious as to why that is not always a good thing?
Your pads and disks wear out much quicker but the biggest gripe seems to be modulating the braking to ensure smooth driving. This has been an issue on some VWs with over assisted servos. It's usually a bigger problem for people (like you) who drive another car and find the difference a problem. Heel and toeing isn't an option with over sensitive brakes either.
Old 25 July 2013, 05:49 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

The 4 pot setup is awful in my opinion. When I upgraded to the Wilwood 6/4 pot setup years ago, it was a lot better.

I then went to an Evo VII and with just the front brembos the braking was as good as the Wilwood setup if not better.

The RS6 originally had OE 8 pot brembos on the front and I fitted in Carbotech XP10 pads and they would "rinse & repeat" tear your face off when braking, to the point where I would frequently cook the fluid, have everything smoking like a bitch and would have no brakes left whatsoever, and a huge grin on my face.

Blued and warped a very expensive set of nearly new OE discs in under 2000 miles as well, so swapped out the setup to a supposedly more powerful Brembo OE V10 6 pot setup with custom built 390mm discs. Nowhere near as good on OE pads but this barge of a motor could still outbrake a 4pot scoob with ease imo.

Anyway, waffling. One of the only things that is working problem-free on the Blobeye I reently bought on here, are the AP CP7040 front brakes (brembo rears). The braking is VERY good! I would never go back to Subaru 4 pots by choice!
Old 25 July 2013, 06:11 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Your pads and disks wear out much quicker but the biggest gripe seems to be modulating the braking to ensure smooth driving. This has been an issue on some VWs with over assisted servos. It's usually a bigger problem for people (like you) who drive another car and find the difference a problem. Heel and toeing isn't an option with over sensitive brakes either.

@PrimeKos not condescending at all mate. Basically echo what Einstein said, also for me the assistance goes hand in hand with lack of feel... I dont want to stamp through the floor to stop but at the same time I dont want a binary pedal.

Quick Reply: My WRX vs my new company car!