UK to JDM spec?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2013, 11:09 AM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK to JDM spec?

Ello chaps and chapettes,

I'm STILL searching for a classic scooby and its been probably 3 months with no joy. I've been hunting for a decent but not hugely expensive import but there aren't many left (not for sale at least).

So my question to you is this, how much playing around will get a UK Turbo 2000 up to a reasonable spec close to a JDM version?

There are a fair few around but I really wanted an import so its quick right out of the box.

Cheers, DDD.
Old 20 July 2013, 01:25 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny Dooby Doo
Ello chaps and chapettes,

I'm STILL searching for a classic scooby and its been probably 3 months with no joy. I've been hunting for a decent but not hugely expensive import but there aren't many left (not for sale at least).

So my question to you is this, how much playing around will get a UK Turbo 2000 up to a reasonable spec close to a JDM version?

There are a fair few around but I really wanted an import so its quick right out of the box.

Cheers, DDD.
Hi DDD.
This might sound a strange question but hopefully you'll get where I'm coming from:

What's your definition of 'quick'?
Is it what you personally experience, or figures on paper?

If this will be your first hi-performance car then it will be 'quick' to you.
My first was a Catalunya and I'd never experienced anything like it.
After a 7-year gap I got a JDM WRX and couldn't believe that it was 'quicker', despite being 4 years older than the Cat.
My latest is again 'quicker'.

You can of course get a reasonable one, make it a money pit and go all the way up gradually, which you seem to be thinking of doing.
The problem there is that every time you get an upgrade done part of the cost goes on repeating things done previously (eg. stripping the engine, or remapping) and so it's not as cost-effective as waitijng for the right one to come along and then perhaps part-exing up.

An unmodified and good condition classic will hold its value quite well.

What's your budget?
Old 20 July 2013, 01:35 PM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Certainly not my first performance car mate and I had a bug eye wrx a little while ago. I'm in the motor trade so my experience with fast cars is pretty vast and have been remapping VAG cars via Revo for the past 2 years. But basically I want a weekend toy so I want to buy a scooby classic without breaking the bank as I will cover no more than 1-2k in a year with it. Probably want to spend between 2 and 3k on one. But more towards 2 if I'm honest.
Old 21 July 2013, 12:22 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny Dooby Doo
Certainly not my first performance car mate and I had a bug eye wrx a little while ago. I'm in the motor trade so my experience with fast cars is pretty vast and have been remapping VAG cars via Revo for the past 2 years. But basically I want a weekend toy so I want to buy a scooby classic without breaking the bank as I will cover no more than 1-2k in a year with it. Probably want to spend between 2 and 3k on one. But more towards 2 if I'm honest.
Fine.

Hopefully you've gathered I'm on your side.

Since you know your definition of 'quick' and given that you are in the trade I think it's fair to say that you are prepared to have a classic and uprate it.

I got a WRX classic (JDM 1995) from e-bay for under your budget 3 years ago. Lasted me nearly two years before (what I now know is) the HG went.
I think that costs about £1,200 (?) but you being in the motor trade possibly would be less.

I'd therefore say take a reasoned chance on any classic Turbo 2000 advertised at under 2k. You'll still be quids in.

Others on here (who seem to be in short supply at the mo) will no doubt be able to advise on brake and suspension upgrades and the cost.