Classic Impreza: MY95 vs. MY99

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2013, 12:33 AM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Impreza: MY95 vs. MY99

Hi guys & gals

I have recently joined the forum after moving to the UK & buying my second Impreza for myself.

I currently own an MY99 GL Sport Auto, which I'm hoping to give to my wife once I hunt down a decent turbo (UK or Import) model for myself.

I came across an imported classic WRX (registered 01/05/2004) for a very low price and am thinking of taking the Scooby.

I have a question about the classic Impreza models...

All I want to know is what are the major differences between the MY92-98 classic Impreza and the MY99-00 classic facelift Impreza?

I know some changes are the door cards, dash, bumpers & front grille... But are there any major changes to be wary of?

Are there any engine spec changes? Now I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to a Subaru, so I am aware that the WRX will come with a turbo, TMIC and various other neat tricks under the hood.

Cheers!
Old 13 June 2013, 12:42 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

engine parts are different, get 99-00 model year ...better looking !
Old 13 June 2013, 01:04 AM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
engine parts are different, get 99-00 model year ...better looking !
Haha... I agree on the better looking part, as I've had two facelift models and absolutely love the design of them.

But the reason behind asking is that I'm saving up for a turbo facelift model, until I came across an imported MY95 WRX model. And if the car in question turns out to be in mint condition I will have to take it, as the price makes it well worth taking just because.

Plus I will always have the Sport to look at for the facelift look and the WRX to drive for sheer enjoyment and pleasure. Funny enough the WRX is cheaper than what I bought my Sport for.
Old 13 June 2013, 10:30 AM
GREENWAGON1997
Scooby Newbie

is it a import wrx.
if its the looks that are holding you back a bit, you can put a facelift front on it (bonnet, bumper,headlights and grill) door cards and dash can be changed but a bit harder .

Last edited by GREENWAGON1997; 13 June 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 13 June 2013, 12:52 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

As GREENWAGON1997 said above, easily fixed if you bought a pre-facelift classic or you buy one already changed.
If I'm right (which is rare with cars) WRX models are imports and come with extra bhp (TD05). Some engine parts a different but I think most parts will fit both models.

At the end of the day its down to personal preference, what do you get more from oh and price
Old 13 June 2013, 02:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are we talking import WRX versus classic 99 UK car?

If so, go for the WRX.

If BOTH are imports, no contest, go for the 99 car.
Old 13 June 2013, 03:44 PM
wrx_driver
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bushy-N/A
Hi guys & gals

I have recently joined the forum after moving to the UK & buying my second Impreza for myself.

I currently own an MY99 GL Sport Auto, which I'm hoping to give to my wife once I hunt down a decent turbo (UK or Import) model for myself.

I came across an imported classic WRX (registered 01/05/2004) for a very low price and am thinking of taking the Scooby.

I have a question about the classic Impreza models...

All I want to know is what are the major differences between the MY92-98 classic Impreza and the MY99-00 classic facelift Impreza?

I know some changes are the door cards, dash, bumpers & front grille... But are there any major changes to be wary of?

Are there any engine spec changes? Now I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to a Subaru, so I am aware that the WRX will come with a turbo, TMIC and various other neat tricks under the hood.

Cheers!
There is a guide on type ra site with pictures of quite a few of the models so you can see what changed when.

Impreza buyers guide If you follow the links on the page you can see specs and pictures of the cars.
Old 13 June 2013, 05:26 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The 95 one is far better looking, this is just my opinion of course
Old 13 June 2013, 11:55 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the information guys. You've all been a great help in regards to this matter.

The reason I asked is because I currently own a MY99 Sport and am looking at buying an import MY95 WRX.

Would JDM vs UK parts make a difference. Do I stick to JDM with the WRX and UK with the Sport?

I will have a look at the links provided and see the difference in vehicles and engines.

If I don't end up taking the MY95 WRX I'll just save up more ££££ and buy myself a facelift UK turbo, either MY99 or MY00, as I just absolutely love those models personally.

Last edited by Bushy-N/A; 13 June 2013 at 11:57 PM.