Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Ver 5/6 STi wagon or Newage WRX wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2013, 10:16 AM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ver 5/6 STi wagon or Newage WRX wagon?

Hi guys looking for some feedback and different points of view.

So I'm in the need for a more practical Impreza, so the wagon option is ideal. I currently own a V2 WRX and previously owned a Turbo 2000 PPP. But do I stay with the classics or move on to the newages?

Out of these to models what has the more potent and reliable engine? The STi with the forged pistons or the genral evolution and improvement of the newage WRX lump? They are both good for 320, the WRX would be easier to live with on a daily basis and easier to get power from.

Thanks.
Old 12 June 2013, 11:06 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well you already know what my choice is.
Old 12 June 2013, 11:52 AM
scoobynelly
Scooby Regular

Newage is more than likely to have been treated better, plus it has all the latest mod cons with reliability, comfort and safety.

For practicality, my money's on a newage. For fun and aggression a classic

That's speaking from experience too.

Cheers
Old 12 June 2013, 01:36 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

go drive a newage...my guess is you will be disappointed; I went to buy a new bugeye in 2002 and ended uip with the v6 wagon I've had ever since
Old 12 June 2013, 02:06 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

New age WRX needs to at the very least be a PPP, they are pretty slow compared to a Classic with standard power.
Old 12 June 2013, 03:29 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Having had both(and still have a classic STi wagon) I would say it depends what you are using it for. The newage is without doubt more refined (if an imprza can be refined?) and is probably a bit more roomy. The Classic will still feel quicker and more fun, particularly in STi trim. Daily driver and if you are doing a few miles, newage, otherwise, classic. Maybe also look at both and see what pops up. If a really good one of either comes along, that might make your mind up for you.

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 12 June 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12 June 2013, 05:28 PM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

I can only speak for the newage,and I love it. Its two cars in one really, will sit on the motorway chewing the miles up with comfort, then hit the twisties and becomes a fun car. I did look at the classics but fancied a newer car coming from a 1993 MR2. Like ppl have said it all depends what you want from the car. The newage is alot more refined and miles ahead with the interior trim.
Old 12 June 2013, 08:05 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

A slightly different take,at the end of the day a really nice Classic STI wagon is going to be similar money to a decent ish Blob wagon, but to be fair i'd say the Blob is the stronger car and less likely to cost as much as keeping a 13/15 yr old car on the road, Classics imo are a labour of love.

But if your happy to have a Classic or a Blob then I suggest you do what I always try to do which is let the car chose you, in my experience if you go out looking for a particular car you quite often end up with a bit of a lemon or at least some bills before it's right, especially when basing your decision on something like colour and trim level, one tends to buy the first one that comes along with those requirements and possibly get stung, can't you tell i've done that before.

I think you really know this in your mind and fancy a new age otherwise you wouldn't keep asking the question, but your heart is having palpitations at the thought of being without a Classic, growing up is a b!tch.

Sometimes in life you have to grab your *****, close your eyes and jump, a new age is better than no scooby at all.
Old 12 June 2013, 09:49 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Haha ditch you crack me up mate.

All very good points guys, swinging more to the newage atm.