dump valve

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2013, 11:45 AM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump valve

what's everyone's view on these things?

I'm getting mixed reactions , some people say if you've got a turbo let people know about it and other say there chavvy and will bog the turbo down and make it run like crap unless I get it mapped etc etc I'm on a budget by the way as this is one of many toys my missus is gettin cheesed off with :-)

I've got a my99 type ra limited which is tottaly standard apart from I've stripped it out as its only for the track .

would this fit and work ok?

http://bit.ly/11EeylV

cheers

matty
Old 05 June 2013, 11:47 AM
Mattywrx2001
Scooby Newbie

I just fitted a girt big loud one lol ... Love it :-) Chavey or not

Matt
Old 05 June 2013, 11:48 AM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

Oh dear.... Use the search function. Plenty of threads on this.

Feel free to PM Tubby Tommy as he is Scoobynets number 1 expert on dump valves.

Good luck
Old 05 June 2013, 11:55 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

TT where are you with you sound advice on this subject

Paul
Old 05 June 2013, 12:05 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I've heard that the louder they are then the more bhp you'll gain.

My mate Dave - (see pic) -

- from the rose and crown fitted one and he kept up with a 450bhp evo.

Wicked !!!!

Seriously, you've got a nice car there and the fact its standard makes it bloody rare and desirable. Don't wreck it by fitting something that offers zero benefit and can actually do your car harm
Old 05 June 2013, 12:38 PM
Sy_Dubai
Scooby Newbie

Well i took the advice and did a Advanced search on Dump Valve ... as i always been a fan from previous cars (Rx'7s and Pulsar i have owned) but i must say after reading a 4 page thread ... i am well and truely put off getting on for the scooby. Seems there "can" be so many problems unless you have it mapped or set up correctly. I was just goign to chuck one on !! Not now ... spend your money on fluffy dice i have.
Old 05 June 2013, 12:50 PM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

this is what I mean always mixed reactions, thanks for the kind words on the motor only paid 1400 for it but the body work is a bit tatty so will prob respray it.

after stripping it out (serious amount of weight!) she goes so well but as it's my first turbo car I'm just a bit :-( that it doesn't ptshhh lol

maybe ill leave it , got track day Monday so see what falls off it and go from there

one more thing, can you not get recirc valves that still make a sound put dump pressure back into the pipes?
Old 05 June 2013, 12:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get adjustable ones where you effectively have anything from 0-100% as VTA or recirc.... or any ratio in between. So you can alter it to suit your mood (prob not great idea if you still have a MAF).

Or there are fixed 50/50 VTA/recirc ones.

Last edited by joz8968; 05 June 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05 June 2013, 01:08 PM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
You can get adjustable ones where you effectively have anything from 0-100% as VTA or recirc.... or any ratio in between. So you can alter it to suit your mood (prob not great idea if you still have a MAF).

Or there a fixed 50/50 VTA/recirc ones.
thanks for the info, can you recommend one ?

cheap as poss if poss :-)
Old 05 June 2013, 02:06 PM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

what about this , do you guys rate these any one know if will fit mine?

http://bit.ly/181q7NF
Old 05 June 2013, 02:13 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Not exactly cheap...

http://www.gfb.com.au/products?page=...ategory_id=210

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GFB-Blow-O...item4609c514b0

Last edited by joz8968; 05 June 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05 June 2013, 02:15 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.....

As they say. Best thing you could possibly do is save up and get the car mapped.
Old 05 June 2013, 02:26 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Totally.
Old 05 June 2013, 02:47 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

an alternative is getting a bullhorn and keep the window open. Everytime you change gear just scream "listen to my awesome car, you *****. Aint it cool how it goes "tsssssssss""

All joking aside I would rather do the above than put a dump valve on my car......they are called dump valve as the original company thought '**** valve' would not take off from a PR view
Old 05 June 2013, 03:15 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP I'd advise updating the air intake filter or system and remapping, you'll get more of a snarl, a hiss when you take your foot off and a performance boost.

You won't see much benefit from a dump valve even if some of us think it actually sounds cool.
Old 05 June 2013, 04:34 PM
joshnosh
Scooby Regular

why go round taking the **** unless your going to help
its not up the chav police to decide whether he gets a dump valve or not

nozzza
have you thought about changing the intake?
i spent a few hours yesterday reading how you can get more ptshhh from the OEM valve
Old 05 June 2013, 05:12 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

The car is for the track.

Focus your attention on other areas, brakes being the most important. Then look at subtle handling upgrades cooling mods.
Old 05 June 2013, 10:13 PM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

appreciate the different angles here guys, Im just a big kid that's all ,this car is never gonna see legal tarmac again so I just thought spending a few quid on making it sound meaty would be funny, it is pretty rapid as is and is super light, I don't know what these ra models are different but its def lighter than my bros old one.

I think intake is a good idea! the oem induction has got a sensor on it tho, does the aftermarket stuff get around this somehow or is it just an end piece that goes on?
Old 05 June 2013, 10:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The OE intake contains the MAF sensor. This CAN be damaged by induction kits, either by too much vibration, or by the oil from the coner getting onto it, or by the cone not filtering well enough.

A failing MAF can also lead to engine problems...SERIOUS ones. VERY expensive ones.\;9

Seriously mate, forget the daft noises and maker it go better, stop better and handle better. You'll be far happier.

why go round taking the **** unless your going to help
its not up the chav police to decide whether he gets a dump valve or not
We take the **** because it's often the only way to get a serious point across.
As for chav police, grow up: the OP asked a question, it got answered. You don't like the answers, don't read them. It's a forum, dude: that means we express opinions, and SOME of us state facts.
Old 05 June 2013, 10:30 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I ran a Forge VTA on mine for years with no problems atall even at 440BHP. If you want one don't fear the chav police just go for it but is best mapped for & gives no advantage over the standard recuirculated valve. I personally only found it annoying around town & am about to go dump valveless on an MD321T with a remap.
Old 05 June 2013, 10:42 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

A VTA dump valve won't damage the MAF but an oiled filter like a K & N can. Lots of people still run them though, but there is certainly more risk to what is already a fragile MAF.
Old 05 June 2013, 10:59 PM
joshnosh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
As for chav police, grow up: the OP asked a question, it got answered. You don't like the answers, don't read them. It's a forum, dude: that means we express opinions, and SOME of us state facts.
no you take the **** because you think they make "daft noises"
expressing opinions and taking the **** are different things

hes question did get answered but it wasent helped buy any of the people slateing him for even mentioning something that some people dislike and its very annoying for anyone who actually wants to find out what the OP asked.
your welcome to your opinions and i was politely pointing out that they should form no part of his decision.
i have my opinion that there are lots off chav police on this forum but you didnt seem to like that. a little hypocritical me thinks
Old 05 June 2013, 10:59 PM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

excuse my lack of knowledge but whats a MAF?
Old 05 June 2013, 11:05 PM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

The OE intake contains the MAF sensor. This CAN be damaged by induction kits, either by too much vibration, or by the oil from the coner getting onto it, or by the cone not filtering well enough.

A failing MAF can also lead to engine problems...SERIOUS ones. VERY expensive ones.\;9

Seriously mate, forget the daft noises and maker it go better, stop better and handle better. You'll be far happier.

cheers bud all good advice, well ive stripped it naked and have drilled grooved discs on way and yellow stuff ebcs ready for weekend , so what would you recoomend as a power upgrade that is nice and safe

p.s this is on a budget too soo hence not gonna bother putting brembos etc on just gonna eat through pads as I do

pps, reason on budget is my house is getting too full of toys and if spend too much divorce could be on the cards lol

if she give me the ultimate question "its me or the Car" hmmm will be tough lol

and don't worry boys I can take a bit of banter its cool its not as if this is my day to day car so judge how you wish
Old 05 June 2013, 11:15 PM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joshnosh
no you take the **** because you think they make "daft noises"
expressing opinions and taking the **** are different things

hes question did get answered but it wasent helped buy any of the people slateing him for even mentioning something that some people dislike and its very annoying for anyone who actually wants to find out what the OP asked.
your welcome to your opinions and i was politely pointing out that they should form no part of his decision.
i have my opinion that there are lots off chav police on this forum but you didnt seem to like that. a little hypocritical me thinks
you've got a valid point mate, the reason I posted here was originalyy posted this question on type ra forum and they basically told me to pee of just because I mentioned the word dump valve, sayin chavvy etc, it doesn't bother me as I do think there is too many youngsters waiting to change gear as they drive past thinking it will attract ur attention so the dump valve gets a bad rep from people like that. however that aint me so I couldn't care less , Ive bought a decent scoobie which I hope to have loadsa fun on the track with and if I end up getting a dump valve so be it. just need to know if it will make the car worse.
Old 05 June 2013, 11:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

And another dump valve thread goes the way of all the others.

Alcazar, I wouldn't waste any more of your time on these threads mate.
Old 05 June 2013, 11:22 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nozzzaa
excuse my lack of knowledge but whats a MAF?
Mass air flow sensor, measures the volume of air being drawn into the induction process and fuels accordingly. Dumping this air via a VTA will have the engine running rich for a few seconds

Paul
Old 06 June 2013, 12:01 AM
scot1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
And another dump valve thread goes the way of all the others.

Alcazar, I wouldn't waste any more of your time on these threads mate.
Close the door behind you then!!
Old 06 June 2013, 12:11 AM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

God damn, so many dump valve fanboys in such a small area! My view is if you want to sound like a braking bus then go for it, but be aware that unless you run a MAFless setup your car will run rich on the gear changes, greatly reducing the responsiveness through the gears and slowing you down overall.

Also that rich mixture will reduce the lifespan of the cats (if you have any) and can glaze over your cylinders.

still want one?
Old 06 June 2013, 01:59 AM
nozzzaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ed-EG
God damn, so many dump valve fanboys in such a small area! My view is if you want to sound like a braking bus then go for it, but be aware that unless you run a MAFless setup your car will run rich on the gear changes, greatly reducing the responsiveness through the gears and slowing you down overall.

Also that rich mixture will reduce the lifespan of the cats (if you have any) and can glaze over your cylinders.

still want one?
first of all I ain't a dump valve fan boy, if you had bothered to read everything I'd put then you would know that, but even if I was what's the problem noone forced you to read a subject that you hate which it clearly states in the title. but you did and feel the need to insult people that enjoy using an item on there car that you don't . pretty low to be honest , and I don't see what's the problem with them tbh, bet every one here's got loud exhausts but noone slates them

Quick Reply: dump valve