Sponsored by:

just got a nip

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2013, 10:09 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default just got a nip

just got a nip tonight for a non std exhaust which i know is under 100db its still 2.5inch std uk 2000 size,apart from the backbox, which is declared on insurance as stainless steel system is there anything anyone knows of that i can be done for ? as i was told the new law ref aftermarket parts,hasn't been passed yet, nothing on the exhaust says not for road use
Old 20 May 2013, 10:32 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as i am aware the only thing you can get done for is anti social behaviour,but only if your seen to be revving constantly for no reason and have had complaints etc,and your car will get an asbo.
I ve never heard of anyone getting a fine or points for having a loud exhaust,my nur spec is way over 100db(too loud for my liking)but never had any issues.
What did plod say when they stopped you?
Old 20 May 2013, 10:51 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

this is the second time he has stopped me, 1st time it was to loud and i have got it fixed 74db on tickover 92 at 4500rpm. its still 2.5inch but with a 4.5inch backbox, he is being a asshat and i think has it in for me , all mods are declared on insurance so i fail to see what he can do, on a side note ime 46 so no boyracer and none of my neigbours have ever complained, he is now trying to say its a non std system and it is so what its legal and declared on insurance so i was asking what if anything can he do me for ?
Old 20 May 2013, 11:01 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like he is being a dick,there is no way that 92db at those revs is to loud,tell him to get a life,if he has pulled you before and hasnt given you a ticket,i would say he is just throwing his weight around.
Obviously your car passed an mot with this system on it ,so it must be legal.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:02 PM
max cook
Scooby Regular

I didnt think there was any dB legal limit, but i found this on piston heads. Its old but pops up a lot on different forums

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/loud-exhausts-cost-cash/
Old 20 May 2013, 11:17 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by max cook
I didnt think there was any dB legal limit, but i found this on piston heads. Its old but pops up a lot on different forums

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/loud-exhausts-cost-cash/
That is as clear as mud to me ,it sounds like legal bs that a solicitor would get you off of in a second if you could afford one,just another stealth tax to screw the motorist if you ask me.
As i said before mine is ridiculously loud but i still get drowned out by of the sound my neighbours Harley and his ducatti, both of wich are completely standard.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:18 PM
STEVEBOXER
Scooby Regular

My nur spec is 92 db on tick over lol and I love it !
Old 20 May 2013, 11:18 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stu turbo 98
Sounds to me like he is being a dick,there is no way that 92db at those revs is to loud,tell him to get a life,if he has pulled you before and hasnt given you a ticket,i would say he is just throwing his weight around.
Obviously your car passed an mot with this system on it ,so it must be legal.
well its passed the mot last 7 years of ownership. i admit the first time it was loud but is fixed now as stated, he is trying to say a non std system and is illigal, but nowhere on the system does it state not for road use, all it says on the nip is . offences under consideration, con + use exhaust system/silncer not standard. does that meen having a non oem exhaust ie bosal etc is illigal or am i just being padantic as i think he is as he FAILED to get a nick 1st time as thier noise testing equipment wasn't working
Old 20 May 2013, 11:20 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

That is as clear as mud to me ,it sounds like legal bs that a solicitor would get you off of in a second if you could afford one,just another stealth tax to screw the motorist if you ask me.
As i said before mine is ridiculously loud but i still get drowned out by of the sound my neighbours Harley and his ducatti, both of wich are completely standard.
devon and cornwall what a supprise thats where im'e from but the link is wrong devon only have one testing machine
Old 20 May 2013, 11:21 PM
STEVEBOXER
Scooby Regular

I'm sure my nur spec says off road only or something like that?
Old 20 May 2013, 11:29 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STEVEBOXER
My nur spec is 92 db on tick over lol and I love it !
Holy sh*t mate, ive never had mine measured but that seems loud,i bet youve never had a sheep step out in front of you,i suppose you could claim that its a safety feature and nature friendly lol.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:39 PM
max cook
Scooby Regular

That is the stupid thing!! there are far louder exhaust as standard on other vehicles than the average car with aftermarket cat-back. Surely if it passes an mot there is no problem, you'd think...
Old 21 May 2013, 12:42 AM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

From the sounds of it that copper has it in for you, I'm expecting he lives on a road you frequently drive on?

I'm not 100% on the laws regarding noise from cars, though I know for sure that there are sound level limits that if exceeded can be classed as anti sociable behaviour. A common one is house parties but it can be applied to anything really, so that'd be worth checking out. I know the law round my area is that excessive noise can't be made past 11pm, conveniently, they don't specify the dB level for 'excessive'.
Old 21 May 2013, 01:08 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

you got me thinking, and i admit some asshat copper lives on the main road at the end of my estate. he has 3 cars his wifes golf his focus and a plod focus which he takes home (wonder if tax is being paid) and no drive or parking spaces anyhow i got him a parking ticket for parking within 15yds of a junction and in front of a fire hydrant and blocking a disabled lowered pavement , at the time i didn't know he was a plod and ranted at him about the owner of said golf parking like a **** as he was getting in his plod car also parked in our street, he said nothing to do with police its the towns parking enforcement officors ploblem, so i made a poit of reporting said golf. and he got a ticket. so he knows it was me but doesn't know i know it was him if that makes sence, anyhow i think i am being persicuted and will be making a formal complaint
Old 21 May 2013, 07:30 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

This article might shed some light on things..
http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetya...urvehicle.aspx

Probably being implemented by other Police Forces too.
Old 21 May 2013, 09:50 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oldun

Very interesting that, and a typical load of borax designed to give Police and the authorities a licence to do anything they want.

Firstly, this is a police force's view of things and they are hardly going to say 'you can put whatever exhaust you want on your car and we won't say a thing', are they?
Secondly - the most obvious thing - to get done you have to have been found guilty of breaking the law. That means that they have to tell you which law they think you have broken.
DO NOT take anything for granted - ask them there and then which Act ( call it 'Enactment' which is the proper legal term - they'll think you might be a lawyer and might just back away) you have broken.
If they can't tell you then their judgement can't be 'reasonable' because they clearly just 'think' that 'some law' must have been broken.
Not good enough for a Court of Law.

(I've actually done this twice, once after being stopped while driving and once in the street. On both occasions the over-zealous constable couldn't cite chapter and verse, so was very nice and let me off with a mild ticking off )

I know it's after the event for the OP but I would still press things and ask what the 'standard' specification for your car is.

Finally, the most obvious comment.
How long does an exhaust last?
Is Plod seriously suggesting that when you replace a blown exhaust the car immediately becomes 'non-standard'?
There must be literally millions of motorists in the UK who are lawbreakers then.
Old 21 May 2013, 09:59 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
you got me thinking, and i admit some asshat copper lives on the main road at the end of my estate. he has 3 cars his wifes golf his focus and a plod focus which he takes home (wonder if tax is being paid) and no drive or parking spaces anyhow i got him a parking ticket for parking within 15yds of a junction and in front of a fire hydrant and blocking a disabled lowered pavement , at the time i didn't know he was a plod and ranted at him about the owner of said golf parking like a **** as he was getting in his plod car also parked in our street, he said nothing to do with police its the towns parking enforcement officors ploblem, so i made a poit of reporting said golf. and he got a ticket. so he knows it was me but doesn't know i know it was him if that makes sence, anyhow i think i am being persicuted and will be making a formal complaint
WRITE to the Professional Standards Department of your local force.
Explain that you've had occasion to report the guy on civilian matters and you are of the belief that he's getting his own back.
Whether he is or not is immaterial. He's supposed to be very careful so as not to give the appearance of being biased. As long as you can make a case that you have a reasonable belief that he is picking on you his conduct is below standard.

(Again, I do have practical experience of this).

What is likely to happen is that the force will offer you what is called 'local resolution'.
The officer will be informed of the complaint and asked to accept that he 'came over wrong', he'll sign a piece of paper saying that he's had a meeting and that's it. Nothing whatsoever on his record.
But more to the point no more hassle from him.

Just one final thing. Ever thought of the voice recorder on your mobile?
Old 21 May 2013, 12:51 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

well i think iv'e got him anyway all mods are declaerd for starters.
the biva test is 98db max which it is well under
then in a statment quoted from devon and cornwall police and i quote them
IF YOU FAIL THE NOISE TEST(WHICH IT WON'T) BUT CLAIM YOU DID NOT MODIFY THE EXHAUST, IN OTHER WORDS THE EXHAUST IS HOW IT WAS WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE VEHICLE WE WILL NOT PROSECUTE BASED ON MODIFYING THE EXHAUST, BUT WILL USE THE EXCESSIVE NOISE LEGISLATION INSTEAD.
how can they do either i didn't fit the exhaust and it is under the noise limit

Last edited by madscoob; 21 May 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 21 May 2013, 01:27 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

well i think iv'e got him anyway all mods are declaerd for starters.
the biva test is 98db max which it is well under
then in a statment quoted from devon and cornwall police and i quote them
IF YOU FAIL THE NOISE TEST(WHICH IT WON'T) BUT CLAIM YOU DID NOT MODIFY THE EXHAUST, IN OTHER WORDS THE EXHAUST IS HOW IT WAS WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE VEHICLE WE WILL NOT PROSECUTE BASED ON MODIFYING THE EXHAUST, BUT WILL USE THE EXCESSIVE NOISE LEGISLATION INSTEAD.
how can they do either i didn't fit the exhaust and it is under the noise limit
As I said, it's typical subjective borax, almost like auto-suggestion.

If someone bought a vehicle with a modified exhaust there's no way that any Court will convict them of erm.... modifying the exhaust.
I think that I'm right in saying that in the UK only the person who is believed to have commited an alleged crime is prosecuted. If the police accept that you didn't mod it then they wouldn't even get as far as calling the CPS. It's just trying it on.

Next point - the big one I think - did the officer know how to conduct the test ?
You would be staggered at what's required !
Old 21 May 2013, 02:42 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes ,I've heard the decibel reader has to be tested ,configurated and signed of before the devise can be used .and has to be done in a proper area away from other noise pollution .
And they have to be able to prove its been checked and approved before use.
Old 21 May 2013, 03:39 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

There's also another interesting point.
Anyone know how the decibel scale works?

It doesn't measure loudness but the intensity of sound. The nearest I can describe it as is the 'pressure' of the soundwave.

What some people regard as 'loud' others (with no impairment) might regard as a raised voice.

The dB scale tries to give an idea of how loud something is relative to another.
A sound 10dB higher than another is '10 times louder', 20dB = 100 times louder etc.
The start point - 0dB - equates to silence.

Anyway, my point is this - an exhaust throwing out 100dB is TEN TIMES LOUDER than one of 90dB.
Aircraft engines 'only' hit 120-odd dB (but that's still 100 times that of a really sporty exhaust).

Although you can't argue with a dB meter you can with a man in uniform.
If you get stopped for 'noise pollution' ask the officer what 90 or whatever dB level he mentions is.
As a guide, normal talking is about 60. A very useful comparison is that a lawnmower is about 90 dB.

I think I'm right in saying that an officer has to have good cause to pull you over. If the reason is because they thought your exhaust was too loud then I suggest you ask them to demonstrate to you that they actually know what 'loud' is because if they can't then if it ends up in Court then hopefully your brief will be able to say that officer was not correct in believing that you had broken the law, and therefore shouldn't have stopped you. But that's for legal eagles to confirm, I'm not one.

However, a little psychology does help sometimes. If the officer starts to have his doubts then there's a chance that common sense will prevail, and possible folly that shows the police up in court might be avoided.

Last edited by LuckyWelshchap; 21 May 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Typo and a smelling pistake
Old 21 May 2013, 04:08 PM
max cook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oldun

Interesting read. I think you were just unlucky/as you mentioned the guy has something against you.

It must get enforced as much as they enforce ***** who drive with their fog lights on, which seems to be bugger all.

Good luck with you appeal of this

Last edited by max cook; 21 May 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: .
Old 21 May 2013, 04:47 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

There was a thread on here a few weeks back about a motoring offences solicitor - sounds like this is a case for him.

The OP won in court having undertaken a cop car in snow
Old 21 May 2013, 04:50 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
There was a thread on here a few weeks back about a motoring offences solicitor - sounds like this is a case for him.

The OP won in court having undertaken a cop car in snow
Found it; Bobby Bell
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-offences.html
Old 01 June 2013, 09:57 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

going to court now. i can't wait they are doing me for a non std exhaust
Old 01 June 2013, 10:18 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Wtf,this is just stupidand a waste of tax payers moneyGood luck fella,lets see if you get a judge/magistrate that has an ounce of common sense!
Old 01 June 2013, 10:24 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

I would get a complaint filed for harassment against the copper who as you stated ,has quite clearly got it in for you.
Old 01 June 2013, 10:31 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

well the letter in the post today states i can take a fixed penalty of £30quid for using a vehicle with a non std exhaust, (so pc asshat is a jdm import specalist now lmfao, it's 2.5inch same as std just stainless not mildsteel, but the backbox is single 4.5inch outlet instead of 2x2.5inch) but i ain't doing that because thats admiting guilt.the exhaust system has been replaced not altered and i didn't do it anyway, secondly it's never been noise tested(but is 94db) thirdly it has a sva cert which allows it to be 101db so i fail to see what law i have broken
Old 01 June 2013, 10:58 PM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

well the letter in the post today states i can take a fixed penalty of £30quid for using a vehicle with a non std exhaust, (so pc asshat is a jdm import specalist now lmfao, it's 2.5inch same as std just stainless not mildsteel, but the backbox is single 4.5inch outlet instead of 2x2.5inch) but i ain't doing that because thats admiting guilt.the exhaust system has been replaced not altered and i didn't do it anyway, secondly it's never been noise tested(but is 94db) thirdly it has a sva cert which allows it to be 101db so i fail to see what law i have broken
With that in mind I'd just rock up to court, go through all the proceedings, show all the documentation and make the copper look like an ***. And once the case is closed then open a follow up case against the copper for harrassment.
Old 01 June 2013, 10:58 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I can't wait to see how this unfolds. I can't see what you have done wrong.

Quick Reply: just got a nip