New member, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2013, 12:49 PM
northern monkey sti
Scooby Regular

Location: Went for a quick drive and ended up 100 miles from home haha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, need some help

Hi there been lurking around these forums for a little while as im in the process of trying to buy a Subaru wrx sti blob eye.

Going to see one on Sunday but the problem is it has a private plate on it which he is keeping. I would like some advice on how long the whole process takes to swop the plate back to original. He says he will take it to Northampton dvla on Tuesday and I can take car away same day. Does this sound right ?

Sorry if there is a simple solution to this just never had any experience with private plates or buying a car privately so little cautious.

thanks in advance for any help offered.
Old 02 May 2013, 01:35 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

i changed a plate same day at my local dvla so sounds right to me
Old 02 May 2013, 01:41 PM
t2dex
Scooby Regular

yeah he is correct
Old 02 May 2013, 02:23 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave-W-
i changed a plate same day at my local dvla so sounds right to me
A BIG note of warning.

I'm not saying you're wrong and there's no criticism intended but I'm currently in the middle of a huge bureaucratic nightmare regarding the changing of plates.

When you changed a plate the same day were you transferring a private plate to a non-private pre-reg'd car eg. it had, say, reg no AA12 BCD?

Or was it already/previously private reg'd?

Here's my story:

I bought a car with private reg, let's call it SC00 BYI.
The owner wanted to keep the plate.
The car was only ever reg'd in the UK as SC00 BYI so DVLA had to assign a kosher plate to it (call it MY06 XYZ).
Without that reg you can't do anything with the car - I know, I'm stuck at the mo.
For the reg you need the new V5, or at least the V5C (new owner part of V5) and a V62 (application for replacement V5), which costs £25 to do.

More than 6 weeks after agreeing to the sale the former owner STILL hasn't received the MY06 XYZ V5.
This is despite going to their local DVLA and being given wrong advice.
It's being held up because SC00 BYI is in the middle of being assigned to the seller's other car, and until that's complete it can't be renamed MY06 XYZ.

There's another complication, which hopefully won't affect the OP, and that is it was taxed under the provisions for disability, so that has to be transferred as well.
(In fact that's as far as we've got so far).

If you're really, really unlucky like me you'll have a private plate that you then want to put onto MY06 XYZ, meaning that the car itself will never have been on the road as MY06 XYZ, and it would have taken nearly 8 weeks from sale to road in your name.

Oh - and your Insurance company might charge you an admin fee if you insure it as SCOO BYI and then have to change its Reg No.
My local DVLA Office told me a couple of hours ago (it's all painfully fresh in my mind) that you can in fact insure a car under any reg, even if the car is yet to be officially assigned that number.
eg. If you have the V750 authorising you to transfer MY06 SUB (not the real name) you can put that on the Insurance Document ready (as long as you aren't driving SCOO BYIO or MY06 XYZ of course).
It's a bit like insuring a car and getting a cover note the day before you take delivery eg.
So if you're not going to drive the car until it's got the new plate then insure it as the new number and save yourself a few quid.

If you want to avoid another £25 to DVLA for using the V62 then wait for 'your' V5 to turn up ie. about another 2-3 weeks.

And if you are really, really, really unlucky you'll have a private plate you want to transfer, and you'll be caught up in the backlog which the TV screens were telling all of us about while we sat waiting our turn in DVLA Cardiff this morning.

If anyone hasn't had the stamina (I completely understand) to last this long please feel free to PM me with a specific problem or situation.

I can assure you, between me, the buyer, and the seller we have encountered it all !!

PHEW !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02 May 2013, 02:27 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

ouch that all sounds painfull

to the OP maybe you should listen to this man
Old 02 May 2013, 02:52 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave.

The most painful part has I think been the stress on the seller. I won't go into detail but it has no doubt been exteremely stressful for them.

I'm frustrated (probably soon to be annoyed) that it looks like I'll miss out on participation in Japfest.

I'm new to the enthusiast's role and having talked to the seller and participated in a few discussions on here I was looking forward to meeting up, machine and all.

However, club tickets have long since gone and I don't particularly want to park my acquisition in a car park, if indeed it becomes road legal ie. has all its co-ordinated documentation in time.

Perhaps I'll sneak in and out under cover of darkness.
Old 02 May 2013, 02:59 PM
northern monkey sti
Scooby Regular

Location: Went for a quick drive and ended up 100 miles from home haha

Thanks for reply's. He is putting the private plate on retention then the car is going back to its original plate. So say he does all this on the Tuesday I go up there on Wednesday want to buy the car will he have all the necessary documents for me to take car away and get insured etc???

Again thanks for any info.
Old 02 May 2013, 03:48 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

I said almost certainly NO, sorry.

He can probably get the Regn mark reverted quickly, perhaps even on the day.
However, the replacement V5 ie. with the 'old' UK standard reg no won't be with him for some time, so he can't a) tell DVLA he's sold it; and b) won't have the V5C for you to do your new owner bits.

If he agrees I suggest that you're better off buying the car complete with the private reg, then transferring them back to his ownership. Unfortunately as I understand that would cost two £80 transfer fees instead of the one the seller will pay.
You can always make it a legal agreement (simply by putting on the bill of sale that you undertake to assign the reg to him for 1p within 5 days, or something like that).

I know that might sound complicated but if any buyer does things by the book I'm afraid he's not going to sell that car for around 3-4 weeks I'd guess.
He'd have to have a V5 in the original Reg, so he's at the mercy of how long DVLA will take to get that to him.

In my case the seller had wisely started the process off before I viewed the car. Unfortunately, as it turned out, I was a cash buyer and I bought it there and then. Usually you'd expect a couple of weeks, especially if someone's got a car of their own to sell.

There was another issue (which I've referred to) but that only increased the (natural?) delay there is.

I'd suggest that you contact him, make him aware of the potential issue and suggest that he get to his local office tomorrow.
They'll at least give him spot on advice, not someone like me who only has an (unusual?) experience to go on.

I hope it works out quickly.
If it doesn't perhaps this piece of advice based on experience will help.

I'd been looking for a car since January, but couldn't go for any of the ones I fancied until mid-March because that's when I had a delayed bloating of the bank balance.
If it had happened sooner I wouldn't have bought the dream machine I have.
There's never a best time to buy because something will always come along that's more to your liking, and I'm sure that if you don't get to buy this one within a very short time one that's just as much to your liking - or more - will be come along, quite possibly before you can say 'I'd like to re-reg my car please DVLA'.
Old 02 May 2013, 07:36 PM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

I would wait till the V5 gets sent back to the owner with the cars original reg.

Kind of in a similar situation but Im selling. Apllied to take the private reg of my Blob STI on Monday but I wont be advertising the car until the V5 comes back with the original reg.

As a buyer Id be put off going to see a car if the buyer was too lazy to take his reg off beforehand.
Old 03 May 2013, 12:05 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Hi Herbie.

As you'll no doubt expect, I think you've done exactly the right thing.

Although you'll have to wait a bit to advertise it, the buyer can have the car straight away.

My seller could potentially have lost half a dozen sales.
How many 'better cars' do you see in 6 weeks? (Mine/his apart !)