Letting subaru warm up before driving from cold-advice

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2013, 09:15 PM
scoobyking7
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Letting subaru warm up before driving from cold-advice

Hi Everyone.

Wanted to start a new threat as I searched for this topic but couldn't find anything on it.

I have been told by a few people that I need to let my Subaru warm up before driving it from cold. One of my friends has said to leave it for around 30 seconds to a minuet before setting of.

Is this true?, any thoughts on this?
Old 30 April 2013, 09:18 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope set off straight away just keep it low rpm until you've done 5 miles or so before working the turbo hard.

A lot of people have different views on this but sitting with your car running before setting off is ridiculous in my opinion just let the oil get up to temp before using boost.

Same for cooling down sitting still with no air passing through rads etc is also daft IMO just do your last few miles sensibly to let the oil cool etc

Mick
Old 30 April 2013, 09:20 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car has got over 100k on the clock and the previous owners have never let it warm up, it still feels like a new engine.
i let it run for about 20-30 seconds, then drive off sensibly. i always drive for at least 10-15 mins before i give it any beans though
The following users liked this post:
Old 30 April 2013, 09:21 PM
Turner Tronics
Scooby Regular

75% of engine wear is during warm up,you should wait 20 secs minimum I wait 1 min and drive like a grandad untill she's warmed up
Old 30 April 2013, 09:23 PM
Shaggy1991
Scooby Regular

I tend to leave the engine running from cold for about 5 mins before I set off (until the water temp gauge is up to temp and the idle is at around 700rpm), but I don't drive it on boost for about another 5 mins after that due to oil pressure and oil temp. I don't have any aux gauges such as boost, oil temp and oil pressure so I am unsure when to drive hard but as a rule, leave it as long as possible - and defiantly don't drive on boost for the first five minutes from cold (unless you accidentally pull out on someone and there is a possibility to avoid an incident... obviously!)

Hope this helps, however I am no expert, just a Subaru owner like you who has had some advise and is following it.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:23 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

The car has a high idle warm up period as set by the ecu, usually till the temps hit around 60c

(correct name for this appreciated)

However... "you takes your chances....."

I'm with Shaggy, be patient....

Last edited by nyscooby; 30 April 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:24 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

From cold i let the car idle for 30 seconds then drive the car off boost till my oil temp gauge hits 80oC
Old 30 April 2013, 09:27 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

30 seconds for what? Defiantly drive it gently when cold though, wait till engine has warmed before hard driving, basic stuff. Check your oil often. I change mine every 3000 miles.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:29 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

You guys must have really understanding neighbours

3" turbo back cobra with 5" back box means I need to start it and get outa my street ASAP

Mick
Old 30 April 2013, 09:31 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

30 seconds to select the a good driving tune lol I like to check the oil pressure before i drive
Old 30 April 2013, 09:33 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

drive straight off. the idea is to get heat into the engine asap. leaving it standing is just prolonging the cold wear.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:33 PM
Paul_251
Scooby Regular

Just get in and drive off , no boost till the oil temp gets up
Old 30 April 2013, 09:42 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul_251
Just get in and drive off , no boost till the oil temp gets up
+1.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:50 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
drive straight off. the idea is to get heat into the engine asap. leaving it standing is just prolonging the cold wear.
But the engine isnt under nowhere near as much load, whereas driving straight off it is regardless of whether you keep under 3k.

I prefer to warm up for minute or so then drive gently until oil is up to temp.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:00 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

What's the general consensus before hitting boost if you don't have gauges? 3-4 miles of steady driving (below 3k revs)? Be nice to have the tuning gods contribute to this one, although I'm sure they'll all say 20 miles of steady driving to cover themselves!

R
Old 30 April 2013, 10:06 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
What's the general consensus before hitting boost if you don't have gauges? 3-4 miles of steady driving (below 3k revs)? Be nice to have the tuning gods contribute to this one, although I'm sure they'll all say 20 miles of steady driving to cover themselves!

R
Based on my old cars usually twice as long as it takes for water to get to temp.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:09 PM
max cook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
You guys must have really understanding neighbours

3" turbo back cobra with 5" back box means I need to start it and get outa my street ASAP

Mick
+1
Old 30 April 2013, 10:09 PM
logger
Scooby Regular

I get in start her, realise ive left my wallet at home run back in grab it and drive off keeping it below 2.5k untill the temp is up to working temp. Then i'll drive about 5 mins to 4k before really opening her up. The idea of letting it run before turning off is to let the turbo run down. Switch it off and its still spinning its running dry with no oil, but if you've been off boost for a while it should be fine. Short journeys in a turbo car are a killer. My mate needed a turbo on his focus tdci after the turbo blew due to short jouneys. But ford fixed it
Old 30 April 2013, 10:11 PM
Wrx sti Ed
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I tend to start it up, leave it at least 30 seconds. Then I drive keeping under 2000rpm until the oil temperature is in the mid 80c. I do 3 miles to work and it just gets to temperature as I pull up to work. So I hardly hit boost at all, so I take it on a longer run once or twice a week to open it up a little.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:12 PM
keljon
Scooby Regular

R
basically the oil needs to be up to temp and if you have an oil temp gauge fitted you will understand this happens after the water temp is up to working temp
Old 30 April 2013, 10:13 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logger
I get in start her, realise ive left my wallet at home run back in grab it and drive off keeping it below 2.5k untill the temp is up to working temp. Then i'll drive about 5 mins to 4k before really opening her up. The idea of letting it run before turning off is to let the turbo run down. Switch it off and its still spinning its running dry with no oil, but if you've been off boost for a while it should be fine. Short journeys in a turbo car are a killer. My mate needed a turbo on his focus tdci after the turbo blew due to short jouneys. But ford fixed it
This is pretty much the way I do it to be honest. Any longer and I'd be a my normal destination before ie had chance to get my money's worth out of the car!
Old 30 April 2013, 10:16 PM
logger
Scooby Regular

This is pretty much the way I do it to be honest. Any longer and I'd be a my normal destination before ie had chance to get my money's worth out of the car!
Im lucky, its 260 miles one way for me to get to work lol
Old 30 April 2013, 10:19 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by keljon
basically the oil needs to be up to temp and if you have an oil temp gauge fitted you will understand this happens after the water temp is up to working temp
I'm fully aware that oil takes longer to warm than water to protect the engine effectively, I don't need gauges to tell me that.
My question was what is the general consensus of time for oil to warm up. For instance using a 10-40 grade in normal outside temp weather. No need to get clever.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:22 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logger
Im lucky, its 260 miles one way for me to get to work lol
Jesus u wouldn't want your fuel bill! I rarely drive my car to be fair, can't realistically warrant havving it but can't bear to part with it. I was just Intrested to see what the tuners recommend on a mildly tuned EJ20 engine.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:29 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Turner Tronics
75% of engine wear is during warm up,you should wait 20 secs minimum I wait 1 min and drive like a grandad untill she's warmed up
That's EXACTLY the reason why you shouldn't just let it idle from a cold start. Get the oil temp up to normal operating temp, pragmatically, as soon as possible. Minimal of 80degs oil temp prior to giving it any real workout.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:35 PM
logger
Scooby Regular

Jesus u wouldn't want your fuel bill! I rarely drive my car to be fair, can't realistically warrant havving it but can't bear to part with it. I was just Intrested to see what the tuners recommend on a mildly tuned EJ20 engine.
Every one will have there own opinion, but nothing wrong with giving it 10 seconds to get the oil round the engine, then just let her warm up
I did the journy every weekend in my old bug eye wrx but now its more like 70-100 miles a week better on the wallet for sure but im missing out on my shell points haha
Old 30 April 2013, 10:35 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Most manufactures hand books advice is start up and move off straight away. They recommend not letting the engine idle for too long. My routine is. Start car, then put on seat belt, put on sun glasses, in gear hand brake off and go. That probably gives around 20 secs idle . If i'm waiting for the misses or kids it's a totally different story .
Old 30 April 2013, 10:39 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I let it run for 45 secs to 1 minute before I set off. That time is normally spent setting up my Bluetooth with the stereo/hands free kit.

I think that the engine won't let me use full boost until its up to temperature anyway. I had a Clio 182 once and that wouldn't let you red line it until the oil was up to temp ie whilst cold the rev limiter would cut in early.

On my impreza you can feel that the boost isn't on full chat whilst accelerating when the engine is cold. Try it tomorrow, put your foot to the floor whilst the engine is cold and it definately doesn't go like it does when it's warm. ECU's aren't stupid you know lol
Old 30 April 2013, 10:47 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Donnie,
Please don't suggest people to flaw the engine when it's cold. Just because your ECU uses temp comp for boost targets in it's map, doesn't mean everyones does.

This place is getting worse.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:48 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Donnie,
Please don't suggest people to flaw the engine when it's cold. Just because your ECU uses temp comp for boost targets in it's map, doesn't mean everyones does.

This place is getting worse.
Lol was kinda thinking the same!

Quick Reply: Letting subaru warm up before driving from cold-advice