Sponsored by:

some advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2013, 08:24 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some advice please?

Evening all, i have bought myself a 2002 bug sti, with out a engine and box, i am abit of an amature at this and need some advice, what engine code would i need? would a later engine fit with no problems etc
Thankyou in advance
ps if any1 has one forsale even better!
Old 27 April 2013, 08:33 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

also maybe another silly question, but people are talking about closed blocks and long blocks, i am very confused!
Old 27 April 2013, 09:46 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

hi, it depends on what you wanna spend. how much power you want out of it etc....best bet would be to give scott at scoobyspares a ring on 01253 871188 there at fleetwood near blackpool and have a few engines in stock plus boxes. hell steer you in the right direction. or if your not short of cash scoobyclinic at chesterfield are great but not cheap. code is ej20 for 2 litre ej25 for 2.5 but i wouldnt recommend the 2.5 i have one bu tprefer the 2 litre plus the standard 2.5 pistons are rubbish lol
Old 27 April 2013, 09:50 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

oh and long engine is the full engine like your gonna need minus the turbo etc... a short engine is just the bottom end so youd need manifold and cylinder heads etc. so long engine is needed. scooby engines come in semi closed deck form usually but you can get "closed " deck block which are thicker for a simple term therefore you can put more power through em. honestly call scott at scoobyspares and talk to him cos you can get into a whole load of trouble and expense the way youve gone. probably be cheaper to flog your rolling shell and just buy a full bugeye rather than rebuilding yours unless your wanting big power. imho
Old 27 April 2013, 11:45 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

ok great thanks for your help, I have had 8 imprezas previous all decent spec over 350bhp but i have bought somebody elses hard work, not too fussed about money this will be a long term project.
Old 28 April 2013, 07:44 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats going to be a Very expensive Bug STI mate, the Engine and box alone are going to cost close to £4k plus clutch and any other bits you need, and by the sounds of it plus fitting.

I seriously suggest you flog it and buy a complete car.

But hey it's your money, so I don't care.
Old 28 April 2013, 10:01 AM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

ok thanks, just fancy a go myself, rather than just buying one, on the other hand does anyone know what it would be worth? clean straght car, with 55,000 on everything minus the engine, box and rear spoiler?
Old 28 April 2013, 10:07 AM
RType
BANNED

Was it that silver mossy one off facebook?

If it is I would get shot, it looks like its been stood years so will need brakes etc too.

JDM Sti's bugeye's are fetching anything from £4500 upwards for something half decent but thats only because of the engine and box, which you dont have, so basically you have a £500 shell.
Old 28 April 2013, 10:31 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think its going to cost twice as much as a second hand bug sti.
i wouldnt bother tbh
Old 28 April 2013, 12:20 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

am not bothered about cost, like i said its a long term project, i could buy one 2moro just sold a bob sti, i was just wanting advice on engines...
Old 28 April 2013, 12:21 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

no not the silver one that was a blobeye
Old 28 April 2013, 09:44 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RType
Was it that silver mossy one off facebook?

If it is I would get shot, it looks like its been stood years so will need brakes etc too.

JDM Sti's bugeye's are fetching anything from £4500 upwards for something half decent but thats only because of the engine and box, which you dont have, so basically you have a £500 shell.
thats not entirely true. if you were to buy the bitsseperatly from say scoobyspares the rear bumper is like 400-500 same for front same for spolier. same for seats. door cards 25 quid each the list goes on. but it is right that jdm bugeyes are 4000 + BUT a semi decent engine your looking at a couple of grand gearbox a grand. then you didnt say what ancilleries are still there. like the turbo , manifold , intercooler etc all add cost. honestly best bet call scott at scoobyspares hell guide ya right 01253 871188 and theyve got quite a few engines and gearboxes in stock!
Old 28 April 2013, 09:56 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

God why do you all put a downer on a guys question!

All is he asking for his project/hobby is engine codes and if anyone is selling one.

He said its a long term project just doing it as a hobby and a way to learn!

I wish there were a lot more like this guy around, would defo drop the prices of stuff like scooby clinic etc if there were more of a competition!
Old 29 April 2013, 02:05 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666

All is he asking for his project/hobby is engine codes and if anyone is selling one.

I wish there were a lot more like this guy around, would defo drop the prices of stuff like scooby clinic etc if there were more of a competition!
im with you tbh if he wants to do it then good on him! i and a few others were just pointing out the costs involved. then the question istself was particularly vague im sure you know just like most on here that there are so many variations of engine and box and ancilleries that really the question needs rephrasing ie im after 400-500 bhp whats the best way to go!?!? hence why i put him onto scott at scoobyspares cos its just easier to talk to someone who knows and sells them at a good price. regardless good luck to ya fella, bang some piccys on when its done!
Old 29 April 2013, 03:20 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

"ok great thanks for your help, I have had 8 imprezas previous all decent spec over 350bhp but i have bought somebody elses hard work, not too fussed about money this will be a long term project."

If he's had this many Impreza's before then surely he's got some nounce about costs etc.

And he also quotes he could just go out and buy one!

Confusing messages .
Old 29 April 2013, 03:34 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
"ok great thanks for your help, I have had 8 imprezas previous all decent spec over 350bhp but i have bought somebody elses hard work, not too fussed about money this will be a long term project."

If he's had this many Impreza's before then surely he's got some nounce about costs etc.

And he also quotes he could just go out and buy one!

Confusing messages .

im with you on that one, had 8 imprezas and no idea of what anything costs
Old 29 April 2013, 09:47 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

when did i say i had no idea of what anything costs??, of course I do, I am the only person who hasn't mentioned prices, all i asked was about engine codes, as somebody else has always done that side of things for me!
Old 29 April 2013, 09:49 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

Thanks, at least somebody listened
Old 01 May 2013, 07:45 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

hi foxy lol this threads getting a bit weird. but good on ya. 'fraid you are stuck between a rock and a hard place though you havent mentioned how much power you want out of it? how much you wanna spend (well as little as possible obviously but realistcally) and is it a track car or daily driver? well all help quite happily if you give us the info mate no probs. i just advised you call scott or alan jeffries or scoobyclinic as they can advise you based on costs, power, performance, economy etc.... plus they can supply the engine and ancilleries who knows they might have sat about at a bargain price. i know scotts got a nice 2.5 (ej25)forged engine in stock cos i was saving for it but given up now, but its just the short motor. hmmmmmm forged lol