Classic to bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2013, 09:37 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic to bugeye

Hi,

I'm at abit of a crossroads with my MY00 UK classic, done 94k and apart from a few prodrive parts is standard and has very good bodywork/paint/interior and engine is solid.
My plans were to keep it and eventually rebuild engine and remap it etc However I have started looking at Bugeye UK300 models and have to say really starting to get tempted.
They are around £4.5k for a mint one although dealer only offered £1k for mine
The particular one im looking at doesnt have PPP but then I would probably fit exhaust and remap it anyway.

Cant decide if I would regret the change, what are peoples thoughts on them?

Old 23 April 2013, 09:42 PM
H11PKN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went went classic to bug - classic far faster and more aggressive boost.

Bug lamer, but more comfortable to live with.
Old 23 April 2013, 09:51 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H11PKN
I went went classic to bug - classic far faster and more aggressive boost.

Bug lamer, but more comfortable to live with.
Thats the thing, it isnt my daily drive (work from home mostly anyway) just cant decide whether to get one and go down same upgrade path as i would with the classic.
Old 23 April 2013, 10:08 PM
H11PKN
Scooby Regular

My only advice would be get one with most wanted mods already done, or like me take your money out your wallet and throw it in the huge money pit

Get a type r V5/6. 😃
Old 23 April 2013, 10:35 PM
markyboywrx
Scooby Regular

Iv just sold my fully forged classic and come from a Bugeye to the classic, then iv now gone back to a Bugeye.

My opinion would be, classic was more raw as in rally ready, bit more understeer and pure brut on the roads....the Bugeye is more road ready, sharp, more road faced if that makes sense, it's bigger , heavier ... But I have a soft spot for the bug....
Old 23 April 2013, 10:41 PM
RType
BANNED

This is exactly the dilemma I've had.

Having had classics in the past I decided I wanted something newage and saw a couple of UK300's. After viewing one of the cars I came away thinking that they are basically a tarted up WRX that people want close to Sti money for. They look the part, but if you take the headlights, spoiler and seats out your left with little more than a standard bug, unless it has PPP.

I will also agree with what others have said, a classic is a drivers car, you feel more sensations and more connected to the car. A newage is a bit de-sensitised as its a bigger chunk of metal. Classic if its a weekend/fun car, newage if its a daily driver.

From what I've read on here and experienced, you need 400bhp in a newage to experience what a 300bhp Classic will give you, and someone did a bhp/tonne calculation on it and its very close.

I'm still undecided wether to go for a well sorted classic or something newage, I'm just worried that a newage is a whole chunk of cash for something that may not give me a thrill or get beaten by a mildly modded classic.
Old 23 April 2013, 10:48 PM
markyboywrx
Scooby Regular

Taking out the ppp your right, classics are more raw ... But I must admit the bug iv got now does feel much more shaper , steering, acceleration etc and it does handle well but more easy to oversteer for me at the moment ... It is a hard one but I am now growing to the bug as when you want a little cruise shall we say its nice to have the added refinement ...
Old 23 April 2013, 10:53 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

£4500 for a UK300........ its a wrx with a few fancy bits. If thats your budget then buy a bug sti, completely different league. The UK300 really isn't that special and does not warrant a £4500 price tag.
But then for £4500 you could get a very nice sorted classic and wipe the floor with a bug. If your a weekend blaster then a classic is the only way, weekday cruiser then you'd be mad to own anything other than a newage.
Old 23 April 2013, 10:56 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

What a coincidence, I was going to start a thread on this, I was looking at newages aswel to keep up with "time", they look very nice amd up to date as people would say, I drove my mates bugeye today, its running around 340, and to be honest It felt nothing like it, it feels more "normal" its like driving a normal car, the classic feel is just amazing. Im sticking with my classic and I "might" get a newage for daily drive
Old 23 April 2013, 10:57 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RType

I'm still undecided wether to go for a well sorted classic or something newage, I'm just worried that a newage is a whole chunk of cash for something that may not give me a thrill or get beaten by a mildly modded classic.

Go drive a 400+ classic and you'll know what to buy. I miss mine like crazy !!
Old 23 April 2013, 11:06 PM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

I was on about buying a new age only the other day I have a very well specked classic and over 400 hp and **** me there quick I don't think I could sell mine now unless I done a good deal with a new age
Old 23 April 2013, 11:10 PM
RType
BANNED

I dont need to Matty, I had a 320 bhp V6 Type R and that was all the thrills you could want. I put it up against my mates 440bhp 6 speed classic around Silverstone and there was little in it, especially in a straight line. Not sure what my Type R power to weight was vs his but I reckon the 6 speed adds a fair chunk to his MY99.

Problem is, I dont have Type R money now so I'm on the lookout for something fun that I can then improve on over time. Ideally looking for an MY99/00 Classic with a decent level of mods, ecutek already done etc.
Old 24 April 2013, 12:07 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

I dont need to Matty, I had a 320 bhp V6 Type R and that was all the thrills you could want. I put it up against my mates 440bhp 6 speed classic around Silverstone and there was little in it, especially in a straight line. Not sure what my Type R power to weight was vs his but I reckon the 6 speed adds a fair chunk to his MY99.

Problem is, I dont have Type R money now so I'm on the lookout for something fun that I can then improve on over time. Ideally looking for an MY99/00 Classic with a decent level of mods, ecutek already done etc.
Your mate obviously couldn't drive buddy or his car wasn't making that power.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 24 April 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 24 April 2013, 07:45 AM
playtime
Scooby Regular

Been here done this myself if going newage go sti simple fact is when you want more power from a wrx you just hit the same brickwall as your classic. I went from classic uk turbo and got a bug sti sold that and got myself a bug wrx had it 4 months and sold it save up and go sti or you will only end up modding it with sti parts which means more ££££££.
Old 24 April 2013, 08:58 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
£4500 for a UK300........ its a wrx with a few fancy bits. If thats your budget then buy a bug sti, completely different league. The UK300 really isn't that special and does not warrant a £4500 price tag.
But then for £4500 you could get a very nice sorted classic and wipe the floor with a bug. If your a weekend blaster then a classic is the only way, weekday cruiser then you'd be mad to own anything other than a newage.
Maybe, but I cant find any Bug STI in as nice condition with similar miles (65k) for the same money?
I just like the UK300 styling and as i said I would improve performance anyway. Dont want a standard WRX as then I would be spending on improving looks and performance

I could buy a classic RA or type R but its finding a mint one with no rust or keep my UK classic and spend the money on engine build and remap. Never had such a car dilema since I got into subarus
Old 24 April 2013, 09:06 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

This is exactly the dilemma I've had.

Having had classics in the past I decided I wanted something newage and saw a couple of UK300's. After viewing one of the cars I came away thinking that they are basically a tarted up WRX that people want close to Sti money for. They look the part, but if you take the headlights, spoiler and seats out your left with little more than a standard bug, unless it has PPP.

I will also agree with what others have said, a classic is a drivers car, you feel more sensations and more connected to the car. A newage is a bit de-sensitised as its a bigger chunk of metal. Classic if its a weekend/fun car, newage if its a daily driver.

From what I've read on here and experienced, you need 400bhp in a newage to experience what a 300bhp Classic will give you, and someone did a bhp/tonne calculation on it and its very close.

Yes 300-320bhp was my goal for my classic as I thought that would make a quality road car and for the occasional santa pod blast.

Think im going to have to go to dealer and have a test drive of it.

People have said £4.5k is too much for a UK300, what sort of money would people pay for one? £4k?
Old 24 April 2013, 09:22 PM
RType
BANNED

Depends what year, but 3500 would be tops
Old 24 April 2013, 09:34 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

2001, 65k FSH. One for £3500 would tempt me even more! This is the one I have seen http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

Last edited by topshot; 24 April 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 24 April 2013, 10:18 PM
RType
BANNED

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Re-read this.

A Uk300 is a wrx with a few nice bits, you could buy a wrx and find the uk300 bits for less money.
Old 25 April 2013, 12:02 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Had a couple sorted classics sti's, now well speced jdm bug sti. Was on the same hype that classics are fsster than new ages, unfortunately only on fhe straight line if both simillar power... New age cars are better built 120% stiffer chasis better sorted diffs . my bugs cornering speed is bigger its got much more grip/traction and is faster on the same route we go for a blast.... however, the feel is dull to a classic , it needs much more power to make it as nimble, unsetled , raw as that what makes us happy. I new me classics so well i was confident to push them to their limit, as you could loose traction very easy ic you want it. Im afraid to do this on the bug as the speeds are on the different level... Bug sti is a perfect base to make it a prety fast reliable road machine...
Classic will hit your pocket big time as you'll have to chuck half of a new age on it.... perfect conbination would be new age running gear on a type r...

Last edited by mantazini; 25 April 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:40 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
Had a couple sorted classics sti's, now well speced jdm bug sti. Was on the same hype that classics are fsster than new ages, unfortunately only on fhe straight line if both simillar power... New age cars are better built 120% stiffer chasis better sorted diffs . my bugs cornering speed is bigger its got much more grip/traction and is faster on the same route we go for a blast.... however, the feel is dull to a classic , it needs much more power to make it as nimble, unsetled , raw as that what makes us happy. I new me classics so well i was confident to push them to their limit, as you could loose traction very easy ic you want it. Im afraid to do this on the bug as the speeds are on the different level... Bug sti is a perfect base to make it a prety fast reliable road machine...
Classic will hit your pocket big time as you'll have to chuck half of a new age on it.... perfect conbination would be new age running gear on a type r...

Ive had both a well sorted classic and a jdm blob sti through my hands. The blob just felt cumbersome, it just didn't carry its weight well. Was fitted with front and rear braces, whiteline rear arb and a set of tein super street coilovers. Even with those it just felt a bit boat like and didn't inspire confidence.
Maybe its just because im a big classic fan, I could own a spec c or similar if I wanted but im always drawn to the classics.
Old 25 April 2013, 10:50 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

@ Matty

Oh yes, i'm a big classic fan as well.... Like i said would love a typer r shell with new age bits on it just to keep it reliable...If money was not an object classic all the way, but unfortunately it is, and to make it safe needs abit of wonga chucked in.... Classic weight advantage is huge but design of the chasis is a bit old compared to new age , even it feels faster as you're more connected with outside it's actualy not.
But even it's that my philosophy still stays the same , it's not about the power, it's all about the feeling, the buzz you get from it. Classic is way much more fun to drive and puts bigger smile on your face , only if it wouldn't give me that little paranoya thing after each blast. What broke this time??
Got a new age just because of the circumstances, lil one....it's my baby bus from time to time and classic was a bit to much for that...

Old 25 April 2013, 12:14 PM
lofty35
Scooby Regular

Topshot - im having the same thoughts i have £3000 to spend was thinking the newage route, but after hearing these coments sticking to finding a mint well modded tutbo 2000 or classic sti.
Old 25 April 2013, 12:36 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

3k will find you a decent spec classic, but not a new age....but then you might find spending another 2k on a classic which makes a decent new age price...lol.... Classic must be jdm thought....wouldnt waste it on a uk car... But thats just my personal preference. ?.

Good luck...
Old 25 April 2013, 12:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK so I'll chirp in with my tuppence worth.

I have a Blob WRX Waggon PPP and the most important upgrade AP 4 pots up front, It also has anti lift kit rear drop links and roll bar and geo set up.

I also have a Type r in bits in the garage that was running 330bhp.

Now the WRX is circa 260bhp so around 70bhp less, which is a fair amount, add the 200kg weight dis- advantage and you would think it would get mullered by the classic, which it will around donnington on a dry sunny day, but how many of those do you get in the UK.

I have a 50 mile blast circuit that I do when i'm in the mood, I've been using this route for maybe 15yrs and used to do it on bikes mostly and know just about every bump, hump and wet spot on it, as you really need to on a bike when your giving it some Barry Sheen. (yes i'm that old)

Strange thing is, when in "Maximum Attack" mode in the Type r you think **** this thing is fast, and the level of exhilaration is on a par with a bike, almost, But in the WRX when your doing the same thing you realise that you carry more speed for less work, and 80% of the time it's quicker, but no where near as exhilarating.

The Type r is a bucking bronco and gives that "on the edge" feeling all the time, but to get that same feeling from the WRX is nigh on impossible until you almost bin it, and the speed is just getting silly.

The WRX is so much more composed under braking and over bumps and the gear box has much longer legs than the Type r, which equates to being less involved with what's going on.

On a day to day basis the WRX is much easier to live with and really is a fantastic car that you'd have to spend a serious wedge to get something that will leave it for dead, and there isn't much that can do that and get a fridge in the back.

Classics are where my heart is but I wouldn't want one as my only car, because it's a chore to be in one all the time, and they can be very inappropriate, burbling popping and banging, bumping and clunking every where and people watching or trying to race you wears thin after a while,
especially when your just off to the chippy for fish and chips, until your giving it the beans which is probably less than 1% of the time your in it if you live in a built up area, but I am getting old.

But if i had to sell one it would be the WRX.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 25 April 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 25 April 2013, 01:48 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

^^^ Couldn't put it better....
Old 25 April 2013, 02:21 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input, seems most are standing by keeping the classic which I can understand but then see that most have or had a Type R.
I think im going to have to drive one for myself and if it leaves me a bit disappointed compared to the classic then stick with what i have or get a RA.
Old 25 April 2013, 02:38 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from a 340bhp ra to my 418bhp type 20 blob, got to admit i do miss the classic, the blob is great to drive but feels smoother power and dare say it slower than my classic even the handling dont feel as good due to the weight, its growing on me though but wish i had kept my classic as a weekend toy lol
Old 25 April 2013, 02:41 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

If you do go for a Bug, regardless of its mechanicals, have a darned good look for rust, especially the front and rear subframes. They are as bad as my old Opel Mantas!
Old 29 April 2013, 08:26 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
I went from a 340bhp ra to my 418bhp type 20 blob, got to admit i do miss the classic, the blob is great to drive but feels smoother power and dare say it slower than my classic even the handling dont feel as good due to the weight, its growing on me though but wish i had kept my classic as a weekend toy lol

Dare i say it's not slower , just feels more planted , grown up and not hardcore as a classic... i've done my "measurement" on my route i go for a blast....and i must udmit the new age is a faster car even doesnt feel that.... it just copes with everything much better...

Quick Reply: Classic to bugeye