Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2013, 08:38 AM
CHUCKblue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respray

Hi,

Has anybody tried a DIY respray?

My car got whacked last month and needs a panel filled and sprayed. I have done small jobs before but have never managed to get a perfect colour/finish match.

I thought another idea might be to spray the whole car and get a uniform look. I have a garage but have a few questions:

What is the minimum size of air compressor I need?
What do I need in the way of filters to keep oil and water out of the paint?
Where is the best place to get the paint and what would the rough cost be for a full car.
Is this a feasible job for someone who has done quite a few boat repairs and sprayed the odd panel on cheap cars with cans before.

Cheers
Old 23 April 2013, 10:35 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Personally I would never try a DIY paint job on a car, I've seen a few and the finish has always been pretty poor,
I would hand the car over to a body shop and get them to repair, respray and blend in the respray

Give prodriverules a message on here, see what price he can give you

Dan
Old 23 April 2013, 10:39 AM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a place in East Kilbride that has done a couple of my work mates cars and they were happy with the job. I'm also getting my back arches done by them. Can't remember the name right now but I have the guys number if you want I can pm you.
Old 23 April 2013, 11:15 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHUCKblue
Hi,

Has anybody tried a DIY respray?

My car got whacked last month and needs a panel filled and sprayed. I have done small jobs before but have never managed to get a perfect colour/finish match.

I thought another idea might be to spray the whole car and get a uniform look. I have a garage but have a few questions:

What is the minimum size of air compressor I need?
What do I need in the way of filters to keep oil and water out of the paint?
Where is the best place to get the paint and what would the rough cost be for a full car.
Is this a feasible job for someone who has done quite a few boat repairs and sprayed the odd panel on cheap cars with cans before.

Cheers
Lot's of variables.
Compressor 8cf 50ltr receiver. Can be done with less 6cfm 25ltr tank but depending on the gun you use it will hammer the smaller compressor.

You can buy an oil less DIY compressor.
Inline water trap not to expensive.

Any auto factors usually mix paint any colour.

Read up on types of paints and supplies. The best are usually the most dangerous to use. Advantages and disadvantages with all.

Cost to DIY prep and paint a full impreza limitless depends how far you want to go and how good you want to do it.
Budget job all sanded primed cheap paint approx 3ltrs, (no top coat) to do a couple of coats including compressor/sundries £500ish A good week of solid prep and paint.

Factory colour base, top coat decent thinners, Airfed mask, air dryer so you don't get pneumonia, more time prepping the car removing everything to do it properly, good weather more time add another £400 to £600 to the above and that's conservative fella.

You can do it cheap and be happy, you can do it expensive and be happy. If it goes wrong it's just more time and effort to put right. If it gets covered in runs sand back redo. Plenty of info and vids these day's on paint mixing and gun patterns and pressures. The satisfaction of I did that or owning up to I did that Lol. You will never beat a professional painter though they are worth every penny

I've fully resprayed 6 of my motors now, time effort and knowledge is your friend. Cutting corners and being ignorant to the products you us will end in tears or worse... Hope this helps.

Speak to Prodriverules on hear he's a pro.

Last edited by Firez34; 23 April 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 23 April 2013, 03:39 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

i think and don't quote me but Daz Davis(sp) painted his own car from home, have a look in the projects section.
Old 23 April 2013, 06:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep daz has done a couple in his shed, I think even he will admit the 1st couple of times didn't turn out too well for him. The last one in duck blue is spot on though, allegedly.
Old 24 April 2013, 01:11 PM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

I did a old fiesta bonnet in the garage. Lined the place with plastic etc to try keep it clean and dust free as possible, but the end finish was acceptable for a old fiesta but not what I would want on car I cared about, I would never do it to my scoob I would rather just pay a professional and get it perfect. I would loose sleep if the scoob looked bodged.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2013, 01:17 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Out of interest what would you expect to pay to have a full respray professionally?
Old 24 April 2013, 01:21 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

when i worked for fast ford mag we had a drift ****ter sierra that we painted orange...

i used a massive compressor for the primer and done quite a neat job actually... then rattle can'd the orange colour and it looked ****... but that was kind of the point lol

if you matt black the whole car you can rattle can it.

i have also painted the bonnet and front bumper of the wifes old clio after hitting a pheasant a few years back, the job was pretty good but the colour match was ****! wasnt happy with the paint suppliers on that one!

if you take your time with rattle cans and have a good practice first, you can get a pretty good finish. the lacquer is a pain tho as its very runny and has to be put on in very thin coats else you will get runs.
Old 24 April 2013, 01:23 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

as for costs wise, you can pay £500 for a full respray, but dont expect it to be any good.

my old sierra was in the bodyshop for 120 hours, had quite a lot of work done and full inside and out paint job in audi rs blue, the cage was painted gunmetal.

that cost £6500 and was done by Weston accident repair center (in WSM) to a VERY high standard!
Old 24 April 2013, 02:33 PM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

I was always under the impression a good respray will cost 2800-3500 depending on body condition and if your keeping the same colour. 500-1000 jobs will more than likely be poor

Originally Posted by Fudgey
as for costs wise, you can pay £500 for a full respray, but dont expect it to be any good.

my old sierra was in the bodyshop for 120 hours, had quite a lot of work done and full inside and out paint job in audi rs blue, the cage was painted gunmetal.

that cost £6500 and was done by Weston accident repair center (in WSM) to a VERY high standard!
Old 24 April 2013, 02:54 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends who you know. I had my Blobeye Wagon painted a couple of months ago. Full respray apart from the Roof and Tailgate and that came in at £1000.

But I've known the guy for years and he gives me great cash rates
Old 24 April 2013, 04:16 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

as with most things - you get what you pay for.

the key to a good finish is all in the prep (providing they are also using decent kit in the right conditions etc)

a G for a full respray mates rates sounds good mate!
Old 24 April 2013, 06:37 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

If your only intention is to get this car done then I wouldn't bother, the equipment is expensive to do properly and there will be a learning curve to getting a decent result, if you plan on painting more and think you will get use out of the equipment then that's not as bad, but I would get a few cheap panels and paint then practice, I am in process of painting a mk1 mini and am confident I will get a good result but I have invested about 1k in equipment so far but once I have done this car I have another 2 to do so thought it was worth it, 3hp 14cfm is minimum compressor I would use, anything smaller will work hard and potentially give damp air, if you want an airfed mask then a second compressor will be needed, then there's a da sander, sanding blocks, possibly polisher the list goes on. A decent spraygun can be about £300 unless you buy used, devilbiss are very good

Last edited by daz1968; 24 April 2013 at 06:40 PM.