Sponsored by:

RB320's

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2013, 07:49 PM
gavinsan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB320's

Hi any RB320 owners knocking about ? have only been on here for a few days and have not read any recent posts on rb320's ! Did a search and not that much came back other than a few heated discussions on whether they are worth the money. Must be some owners on here ? any in the south east ?
Been on the rb320 owners site but as you can imagine with so few cars and members lucky to see a post a day
Old 21 April 2013, 08:11 PM
*BADGER*
Scooby Regular

ive only seen 1 on the roads
other than that i no nothing
Old 21 April 2013, 08:17 PM
Scooby-S
Scooby Regular

A few guys who aren't on here or the OC post on the Facebook forum
Quite a few owners have sold up recently and the new guys are still finding their feet so to speak
Steve
Old 21 April 2013, 08:36 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen a lot of them on the roads round Warwickshire and the odd one out and about round Lancashire. I came within a whisker of owning one twice but for whatever reasons went for other cars instead.

Cracking motor, really well sorted and setup for UK roads. Nice and comfy inside and also a surprisingly compliant and pleasant ride.

The 2.5 isn't as rev happy as the 2.0 engines, especially the twin scroll JDMs but in stock form has a lovely wadge of torque that makes it a great road car. Just don't pay over the odds for one.

Good person to speak to on here about RB320s is Chopperman, he has a really nice one.
Old 21 April 2013, 08:41 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

IggyRB320 is on here also, had his from new and he posts a fair bit, nice guy and sure will give you help with info. Incidentally got ho's for sale here, think it may have just gone though last time I looked it was provisionally sold. Either way I'm sure he'll help you out.

R
Old 21 April 2013, 09:15 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Top cars Downsides are £490 a year Tax and they drink Super Unleaded.

Have you found the buyers guide? Plenty of useful info there. http://www.rb320ownersclub.co.uk/ind...showtopic=2810

Anything specific you need to know?

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 21 April 2013, 09:20 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/subaru/...subaru-impreza
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...u_impreza.html
http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/on-te...007-2008-model
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...-impreza-rb320
http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/lif...-road-1-624969
Old 21 April 2013, 09:58 PM
the_baz
Scooby Regular

I'm from south east. I did own one but now got a 350bhp 350 torque hawkeye. Didn't want to do any mods to the rb to devalue it
Old 21 April 2013, 10:05 PM
gavinsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I've seen a lot of them on the roads round Warwickshire and the odd one out and about round Lancashire. I came within a whisker of owning one twice but for whatever reasons went for other cars instead.

Cracking motor, really well sorted and setup for UK roads. Nice and comfy inside and also a surprisingly compliant and pleasant ride.

The 2.5 isn't as rev happy as the 2.0 engines, especially the twin scroll JDMs but in stock form has a lovely wadge of torque that makes it a great road car. Just don't pay over the odds for one.

Good person to speak to on here about RB320s is Chopperman, he has a really nice one.
Thanks new galaxy I will look out for chopper man . Have always liked the menacing looks of the Rb 320
Old 21 April 2013, 10:07 PM
gavinsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
IggyRB320 is on here also, had his from new and he posts a fair bit, nice guy and sure will give you help with info. Incidentally got ho's for sale here, think it may have just gone though last time I looked it was provisionally sold. Either way I'm sure he'll help you out.

R
Thanks rob yes I know iggy from the owners forum and don't want to jinx anything but I am hopefully picking iggy's car up this Friday
Old 21 April 2013, 10:08 PM
gavinsan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the other helpful responses guys will post up some pics when I get her home
Old 21 April 2013, 10:14 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gavinsan
Thanks rob yes I know iggy from the owners forum and don't want to jinx anything but I am hopefully picking iggy's car up this Friday
Aha I see!! Beautiful car and well looked after, and goes very well indeed, you won't go far wrong with that specially with a fresh rebuild. :-)
Old 21 April 2013, 10:29 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Hi, yup i own a RB320 as does iggyrb320. both of us members of the owners club. Couple of things to look out for if buying is.
Check the rear shocks have the "3rd bearing re-work" sticker on them. This sticker is just by the prodrive sticker. Blistein re worked the shocks on an exchange basis to stop them knocking.
The other thing to be aware of is they came with 3 different interiors. The standard STi, or RB branded leather which was a £1400 upgrade or RB branded leather and alcantara which was a £1500 upgrade. These upgrades also came with leather door cards.
I'm not sure if this is still the case but Iggyrb320 was considering selling up to buy a GTR35r. I believe his has a freshly forged engine. It's a very nice well cared for car.
Any other questions please feel free to pm me.
Old 21 April 2013, 10:30 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy

Thanks mate
Old 21 April 2013, 10:43 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Hi, yup i own a RB320 as does iggyrb320. both of us members of the owners club. Couple of things to look out for if buying is.
Check the rear shocks have the "3rd bearing re-work" sticker on them. This sticker is just by the prodrive sticker. Blistein re worked the shocks on an exchange basis to stop them knocking.
The other thing to be aware of is they came with 3 different interiors. The standard STi, or RB branded leather which was a £1400 upgrade or RB branded leather and alcantara which was a £1500 upgrade. These upgrades also came with leather door cards.
I'm not sure if this is still the case but Iggyrb320 was considering selling up to buy a GTR35r. I believe his has a freshly forged engine. It's a very nice well cared for car.
Any other questions please feel free to pm me.
If you read the previous posts he's as near as dammit bought iggys car.....
Old 21 April 2013, 10:46 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Its a STI with a few badges and kit (not saying that's a bad thing) , same rules apply as any Hawkeye. I think the RB320 is only a good buy if 1) you want to keep it as it will hold its value and be rare. 2) burns / Rally fan.
Old 21 April 2013, 10:51 PM
jabbroni
Scooby Regular

He has already bought iggys as far as I know why ask Questions like this now ???
Old 21 April 2013, 10:52 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
If you read the previous posts he's as near as dammit bought iggys car.....
I did clock that after i posted. He has chosen a very nice car indeed. In fact i think iggy drives it like an old lady It was his pride and joy from new and no expense was ever spared.
Old 21 April 2013, 11:00 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Thought that might have been the case! Developed a bit of a crush on it last tear when he brought it along to one of our runs, wish I had 10k spare I'd have been all over it
Old 21 April 2013, 11:05 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea of having an RB320, but if I was looking for one, I'd want the engine out of my spec d fitted to it as the gaskets have been replaced as well as forged internals etc.
I just don't trust the 2.5 engine and I wouldn't want all that expense again. LOL
So lets get in the real world...... I won't be buying an RB 320 :-(
Old 21 April 2013, 11:07 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperman
Thanks mate
Hehe but it is though, I wouldn't be recommending he spoke to you if it looked like Tubster's red snow plough

For the OP, if you're getting an RB320 with a forged engine you're getting a real monster of a car. I was going to recommend that on my first reply but thought it'd be going off topic / opening that old chocolate piston debate again...
Old 22 April 2013, 04:49 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did they do the RB 320 in a wagon as well.
Old 22 April 2013, 08:19 AM
gavinsan
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys i did look at getting a newer model wrx sti hatchback which only had 17,000 miles and was a 2010 model with full prodrive upgrade engine 330 hp and prodrive wheels but after reading all about the engine problems it put me right off buying that car . I also felt the RB320 was preferable looks wise and handling wise, although when i took the hatch on a test drive first roundabout gave it some welly and got a lovely controllable slide coming out guess it must have been the drive to the garage in my GTR that made me push a bit harder than i realised
Anyway looking forward to Iggy's car and will be remapping at slowboy racing , then wouldlike to get some gauges for oil temp and boost etc
Old 22 April 2013, 09:56 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Did they do the RB 320 in a wagon as well.
No.
320 sedans all in obsidian black. They were a normal STi but fettled 7k worth of extra goodies. Then the upgrade interior on top of that. So if like mine it had the top interior (£1500) and double din clarion @1500 quid, plus tints @ another £400 it was a very expensive car new.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:01 PM
jabbroni
Scooby Regular

i'm never selling mine what a car the last of the best imo
Old 25 April 2013, 09:03 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jabbroni
i'm never selling mine what a car the last of the best imo
Never selling mine either.
Old 25 April 2013, 10:14 PM
Rex300
Scooby Regular

A good friend of mine has had his from new and absolutely loves it - he was one of the first 50 to order so was given the keys by Petter Solberg. He's not on SN though (my friend nor Petter I think!!). Like others here, don't think he will ever sell it.
Sadly I haven't driven his on the road, but it feels awesome from the passenger seat. I did try one at the Prodrive test track when they were doing trips over there from the Autosport show in what must have been Jan 2007, but it still didn't really give the full impression.
On the road (and I know I am stating the obvious so no funny comments), it just feels night and day better than my WRX300. Properly rapid, quick direction changes and still comfortable on the motorway. EVO magazine said it 'was too hardcore for some', but I don't see that myself. I don't have any experience of JDM models or heavily modified cars either, but like I said, the RB320 seems awesome to me.
There is also a company called Autotecart who do nice detailed profile pictures of the RB320 (and others). Particularly good if you can get the same print number as the real car.

Last edited by Rex300; 25 April 2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 25 April 2013, 10:37 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rex300
A good friend of mine has had his from new and absolutely loves it - he was one of the first 50 to order so was given the keys by Petter Solberg. He's not on SN though (my friend nor Petter I think!!). Like others here, don't think he will ever sell it.
Sadly I haven't driven his on the road, but it feels awesome from the passenger seat. I did try one at the Prodrive test track when they were doing trips over there from the Autosport show in what must have been Jan 2007, but it still didn't really give the full impression.
On the road (and I know I am stating the obvious so no funny comments), it just feels night and day better than my WRX300. Properly rapid, quick direction changes and still comfortable on the motorway. EVO magazine said it 'was too hardcore for some', but I don't see that myself. I don't have any experience of JDM models or heavily modified cars either, but like I said, the RB320 seems awesome to me.
There is also a company called Autotecart who do nice detailed profile pictures of the RB320 (and others). Particularly good if you can get the same print number as the real car.
Cool, i will check out this autotecart RB320 is even better when you get them mapped up with ecutek inc flatfoot shifting
Old 26 April 2013, 07:10 AM
gavinsan
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a really great bit of kit, i had a prodrive impreza about 10 years ago and that was with the full suspension and brakes and engine package which had a great pliancy on the road so i guess they know what they are doing with the handling ! . Chopperman where are you based ?
Old 26 April 2013, 11:09 AM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rex300
Yep, the Autoecart limited RB320 print, with the same build number as my RB will be given to Gavin when he buys

Quick Reply: RB320's