Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet spec for track days ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2001, 08:56 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried search, but could not find answer.
Please tell me what BSI/kite/what ever spec the crash hat needs to be for track days.
Thanks
Stan.
Old 24 April 2001, 09:12 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Old 24 April 2001, 09:17 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

(edited cos it did get posted twice in the end )

[This message has been edited by Rebecca (edited 24 April 2001).]
Old 24 April 2001, 09:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
That's a good link from Rebecca.

Just a couple of points. Get a bike helmet, not a motorsport lid. Your local two-wheeler dealer should have a good range.

Bike helmets are better because a) they are made by the thousand, not by the handful, hence much better value, b) they come in a wider range of sizes (when you get one that feels too tight to get on, it's probably about the right size), c) bike lids do not attract VAT so cheaper still, d) bike lids have a wider visor opening for better peripheral vision, e) for that last reason, most motorsport helmets are not legal on the road.

Best get a full-face because, when it comes to the crunch, they offer much better protection. And it's easy to talk to your passenger in a full-face lid. No probs.

Richard.
Old 24 April 2001, 09:57 PM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Talking

Someone said to me that you only have one head so protect it as best you can. Sounds obvious, really, but sometimes you have to think hard about the 'what ifs' and work out the value of your life and livelihood versus saving a few quid. The cheap (anything less than £150) motorsport helmets were summed up as little more than fibreglass 'p1sspots' and are to be avoided at all costs.
Old 24 April 2001, 10:54 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Stan,

i bought a BS6658 TypeA helmet that was Briish Motorcycle Sport (A.C.U) approved for a fraction of the suggested GBP150 amount.

Unless you are in a really bad crash, you are not going to be subjected to the same forces as the motorbike equivalent ('cos you have a car around you!). If you can save the VAT then great, but don't spend 18% more just to achieve those savings!

As a starting point, get a helmet that conforms at least to the track requirements - then spend more as your wallet and concience provides.

However, don't forget - you only have one head!

mb
Old 25 April 2001, 10:46 AM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stan,

It has been a while since I have bought a helmet (motorcycle), but the ACU gold badge is worth getting. I believe the tests are more "rigorous" than the silver.

It is easy to spot, on the back of the helmet,the ACU emblem is on a gold rather than silver background. The silver ones are normally on the cheaper polycarbonate helmets, whereas the gold badges are normally on fibre glass (and more exotic compounds).

I bought the most expensive helmet I could afford at the time. As with the previous posts - this was one area of safety equipment I did not want to cut corners with.

See you later,

MickeyG

[This message has been edited by MickeyG (edited 25 April 2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2001, 11:10 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you are going for a bike helmet (good suggestion - it might stop you from breaking your jaw/nose etc) I would suggest one of the Aria Rx range. They are expensive, but having crash tested one myself I can say they really do work. ( 30 ft flight path, land on head, helmet shell split completely in two but was held in place by carbon fibre mesh under hard shell - not even concussion)
Old 25 April 2001, 01:32 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys (m + f !).
I read the link already, and other similar,and in the absence of any specific standards I assume that all lids sold will be OK.
Thanks again for your input/advice.
Stan
Old 25 April 2001, 01:57 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoppy:
[B]
And it's easy to talk to your passenger in a full-face lid. No probs.

[B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh ??

It may be easy to talk to your passenger.

But they wont hear a word you are saying...

jon

Old 25 April 2001, 02:27 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The amount you spend on a helmet has no correlation to how safe it is. The prices of M/Cycle helmets is linked to fashion and fitments(eg quick visor release).
The only guide you have to safety is the badges on the back mentioned earlier, don't get caught up in high price = safer.
You can pick up a 2000 model helmet this year for half(199 v's 399) what it would have cost you last year as the racers change their paint job annually(bit like football strips). They are not any less safe this year than last year just because they are cheaper. You can mention techniocal progress etc but unfortunately this has been used to make them lighter whilst maintaining a similar safety level, there is no real focus on increasing safety for 2 reasons.

1&gt; They are already very good and any improvement is probably not needed as you don't need to save your head when the rest of you is dead. If you have an accident big enough that trashes your helmet then its likely to involve many other injuries.

2&gt; There is no external pressure to do so from either consumers or government, people want lighter helmets not safer ones.

Cammy
Old 25 April 2001, 02:45 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Jon, WHAAAAT? Can't hear you, M8

Final comment, the guy who has done a few helmet paint jobs for me, and lots of the bike magazine testers, too, reckons that Arai helmets are the best made. He should know as he's done hundreds and strips the helmet completely before starting.

Richard.

PS He's Andi Beazley of Splat Design in Leicester, tel 0116-2341222 ext 146. Cost from £250 to £500, but the artwork is just stunning.
Old 25 April 2001, 07:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cammy,

well said!!

Your head might be intact, but without flameproof overalls, oxygen supply, on-board fire extinguisher, carbon-fibre monocoque, wheel tethers etc. on your "track car" - do you really feel safe

Get the cheapest "approved" helmet that you can afford (my BS TypeA/Gold ACU was only GBP30)!!!

mb
Old 25 April 2001, 07:18 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys. Will go to my local m/c shop and look at Gold acu types.
Stan
Old 25 April 2001, 07:33 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Cool

BS type A or Type A/FR (fire retardant)

It's what McRae wears....

Owain
Old 25 April 2001, 08:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Got an Arai RV - £200 - from Metropolis Dowgate Hill today. The Shoei RXR is discontinued and they have them at £120 - normally £150 but limited sizes left.

Ready for Bedford Autodrome now! (and the Ring in June....... )
Old 25 April 2001, 10:41 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Talking

Try Caberg's J1 Plus for 99 quid you get a gold badged fullface helmet which opens like an open face (indeed you can remove the chin guard if so required
A real bargain