Sponsored by:

pointers with spraying

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2013, 01:45 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pointers with spraying

Guys have a 60 plate saloon with the horrible looking fake chrome boot trim which i am looking to paint. Been to halfords and they do not have the code in stock so can not mix the paint so i took to the internet to get some, Found the code, found a supplier in Germany as no one in the uk came up on the search only for chip repair so ordered what was classed as a spray can in the right colour code. it turned up today looking like this

so i assume it is in fact a spray tin but not the assumption I made as an aerosol spray tin and requires a paint gun of some kind. question is

where can i get one that does not require a full compression set up?

Or anyone know of someone in the Berkshire area that could swap it to an aerosol can for me?

any advice welcome
Old 10 April 2013, 05:13 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

If you have the code many local parts suppliers would mix you any amount up either in an aerosol or tin for a gun fella. Get on google for a local supplier. Is that a pull ring on top of the can I have to be honest mate I haven't come across a can like that before but I'm sure one of the lads will have on here.
Old 10 April 2013, 05:25 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Cheers pal the looking I did turned up nothing and a local shop were not interested in the job as it is so small hence me looking on the net for a tin to do it myself. First place I found it as I've been looking for a while I just bought it. School boy error but atleast I'm half way there lol. Might have to invest in an electronic spray gun of some kind.
Old 10 April 2013, 05:31 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Check this search fella local to Berkshire and give some of them a ring if you cars metallic you'll need a clear top coat for it to and a primer or plastic primer if the trims plastic.

http://www.bing.com/local/details.as...n-gb&FORM=LARE
Old 10 April 2013, 06:20 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Looks like a pure paint tin. I take its solvent based? Or did you Order water based? Did it come with a technical data sheet? If its solvent it can be put into a can if its thinned with solvent. We can make them up at work. Tho if you took the paint down to a local bodyshop I'm sure they would spray the trim for you. Only takes 5mins if they used a wet on wet plastic primer.
Old 10 April 2013, 06:20 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

search for a paint shop suplies in your area, if its metalic it goes on in 4 steps, flat it first with a grey scotch pad then primer on first then flat it with 800 wet n dry, clean it with pannel wipe or thinners, then base coat coat goes on (let it dry for 10mins) then metalic over that (let dry for 20 mins) then clear coat. if you do it out of an aerosol you will probs get orange peel in the clear but do not worry, rub with 2000 wet and dry and then g3 it,

and that tin looks like a clear coat tin
Old 10 April 2013, 08:22 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Base coat sold in any EU country has to be water based now. Clear coat is still allowed to be 2K Acrylic based. You mix it with hardener and thinner to get the right viscosity then spray on with full protective equipment.

Really not pleasant to breathe in- think cyanide.....

AS Gaz says, you can do it yourself with no problems if you use 1K acrylic clear coat. The primer needs to be smooth or you will be in trouble. Colour can be mixed up in aerosols by RS paints or similar online. As it;'s a panel not a blend, minute changes are difficult to see so don't worry. Just avoid Halfords paint like the plague.

I recommend a factor and U-Pol primer and clear coat. Very good quality and won't go yellow with age.

Trending Topics

Old 11 April 2013, 09:32 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice guys. Here I'd the ebay ad although it's in German but this is what it is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QLS-SPRITZ...item4d058d0542

I assume it's water based but if someone could confirm that would be great. Another search on ebay shows the same company selling spray cans so i knew I had seen it so like a dumb *** I clicked the wrong link and ordered the wrong stuff so that's a double if the paint is water based and that means I can take it to halfords and ask them to aerosol it up for me then great, if not I will just buy the spray tin version, note to self........ Slow down, read, before clicking buy it now!

As for clear coat sorry for being probably stupid but you mean a clear lacquer?
Old 11 April 2013, 09:49 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazney101
search for a paint shop suplies in your area, if its metalic it goes on in 4 steps, flat it first with a grey scotch pad then primer on first then flat it with 800 wet n dry, clean it with pannel wipe or thinners, then base coat coat goes on (let it dry for 10mins) then metalic over that (let dry for 20 mins) then clear coat. if you do it out of an aerosol you will probs get orange peel in the clear but do not worry, rub with 2000 wet and dry and then g3 it,

and that tin looks like a clear coat tin
Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Base coat sold in any EU country has to be water based now. Clear coat is still allowed to be 2K Acrylic based. You mix it with hardener and thinner to get the right viscosity then spray on with full protective equipment.

Really not pleasant to breathe in- think cyanide.....

AS Gaz says, you can do it yourself with no problems if you use 1K acrylic clear coat. The primer needs to be smooth or you will be in trouble. Colour can be mixed up in aerosols by RS paints or similar online. As it;'s a panel not a blend, minute changes are difficult to see so don't worry. Just avoid Halfords paint like the plague.

I recommend a factor and U-Pol primer and clear coat. Very good quality and won't go yellow with age.
Cheers for the pointers guys, this is what needs to be sprayed. It's a fake plastic chrome boot trim. You can buy the offending but painted from japan (not cheap) yet it only comes in the jdm colours so it's down to me to paint. If it flakes and peels off then I will buy one from Japan and paint it as it will be made from a different plastic so the paint takes to it proper or it would of been painted by a professional so it will last. It's the difference in £20-30 and try and do mine or £130 for the trim alone plus shipping and then importing taxes and duties so more like £170-180 for a boot trim

Old 14 April 2013, 02:05 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Guys just a quick flow up, the company has come back to me and told me it's not water based but is 1k acrylic So Is that stuff ok to use at home?

1k clear coat is that the same as the clear lacquer that you can pick up from the likes of Halfords?
Old 14 April 2013, 02:08 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

take it off and send it to prodriverules on here.
Old 05 May 2013, 11:11 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ok here is the out come. I managed to get hold of the colour in a spray can so gave it a go myself.

And here is where it stands

And one of a little closer up

Now excuse my lack of knowledge but I assume that's the orange peel you were talking about, what's the next step it's been said to wet and dry it with a 2000 grade and g3 it so two questions

Is it best to use the wet and dry, wet or dry?

And I had a look and there's a few g3 products out there, which one? Renovator, super wax, both?

Thanks in advance
Old 05 May 2013, 04:36 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's acrylic paint you've used then you do get a slight but of shrinkage which looks orange peely, flat it back with 2000 grit then buff up with a machine polisher & should bring a lovely finish in theory.
Old 05 May 2013, 04:43 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense as having a go yourself is fair play but with all the messing about and money spent of stuff and now possibly more ie cutting compound etc you could have had it done by a paint shop for no more expense and far less time.
Just being honest that's all chap.
Old 05 May 2013, 09:27 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
If it's acrylic paint you've used then you do get a slight but of shrinkage which looks orange peely, flat it back with 2000 grit then buff up with a machine polisher & should bring a lovely finish in theory.
Cool rob, appreciate that mate. Will give it a whirl tomorrow
Old 05 May 2013, 09:34 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
No offense as having a go yourself is fair play but with all the messing about and money spent of stuff and now possibly more ie cutting compound etc you could have had it done by a paint shop for no more expense and far less time.
Just being honest that's all chap.
Hi Ryan, completely appreciate that fortunately I had all the bits on the shelf minus the paint so if I didn't screw up when ordering the paint in the first place it would of only cost me £22 and then as you say my own time which it's be fun to give it a go and there's a small sense of self achievement if that makes sense. I also spoke to a local company and they weren't very helpful nor seemed like they wanted the job as it was so small so figured I would do it myself.

Out of curiosity how much to paint it after I screw it up tomorrow lol?
Old 05 May 2013, 10:16 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

PM'd you Steve
Old 05 May 2013, 10:34 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

good effort mate. Lookin at pics on my phone so can hardly see but looks lyk the clear went on too thin. Flat it down and try again
Old 06 May 2013, 12:33 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
PM'd you Steve
Cheers Ryan, you have a Pm back

Originally Posted by gazney101
good effort mate. Lookin at pics on my phone so can hardly see but looks lyk the clear went on too thin. Flat it down and try again
Thanks for the advice gaz, it's been fitted for the time being so will have it back off at a later date, time to get out and enjoy driving it rather than messing with it.

Finished (ish) result

Old 06 May 2013, 05:56 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not bad steve
Old 06 May 2013, 08:08 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi
Get some wet n dry and rub it down then get polish several coats and finally wax it
Use the wet n dry wet and gently
Obviously remove the part so you don't scratch oe paint on trunk boot sorry
Old 06 May 2013, 09:13 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Not bad steve
Wonder who has a similar coloured piece on their scoob aye Tony
Old 06 May 2013, 09:23 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular