WR1 or type 25

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2013, 09:34 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 or type 25

Alright guys.,

I have a mate who's unsure whether to get a WR1 or a type 25 (blob). Which would you choose and why?

Cheers!
Old 04 April 2013, 09:39 PM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

Type 25 all day long far far better spec!!! And looks better!!

Harri
Old 04 April 2013, 09:40 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

T25 the wr1 is just a sti with ppp and some nice kit (great car but its no t25)
Old 04 April 2013, 09:43 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Ive had both and the wr1 is a light blue sti type 25 has better handling and best of all a twin scroll set up.
Old 04 April 2013, 09:57 PM
t444tch
Scooby Regular

Type 25
Old 04 April 2013, 09:58 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Type 25. Not even a close comparison.
Old 04 April 2013, 09:59 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One is bathroom colour - nuff said
Old 04 April 2013, 10:09 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Neither.... get a Spec C

Type 25 out of the two though
Old 04 April 2013, 10:57 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Tell him to drive both. The twin scroll is a not for everyone. I've driven both. Owned a wife track type 25 and it was a cracking handling car just the twin scroll wasn't for me so sold it after six months.

It's horses for courses. I would image be the price difference in the two would mean the type 25 handling pack could be fitted to the wr1 and he would end up with something that would tick both boxes.

Honestly get him to drive both
Old 04 April 2013, 11:54 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Neither.... get a Spec C

they made few spec c type25
Old 05 April 2013, 05:50 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

25 has all the best litchfield handling bits 360-360 and twin scroll
Wr1 is a good uk sti but if 25 has all its history I'd deffo get that
Old 05 April 2013, 06:29 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

But do the Type 25s still have the potential 2.5 litre engine problems...?

How about a Type 20 instead (if you can find one)?
Old 05 April 2013, 06:33 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

turbo 2000
Old 05 April 2013, 08:27 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
But do the Type 25s still have the potential 2.5 litre engine problems...?

How about a Type 20 instead (if you can find one)?
Some did go pop, from memorythey changed the pistons in the t25 and nothing else as when iI spoke to Litchfield about up'ing the power of the mk1 t25 they said it would need head studs, again that's from mmemory and is going back five years so may be wrong. I would imagine that as the last was built back in 2005 you will be fine as they would of gone by now.

Test drive both pal , flame suit on but the twinscroll is not to everyone's tatse
Old 05 April 2013, 10:34 AM
STi8
Scooby Regular

I know of a one owner T25 that could be for sale. Won't be cheap though.
Old 05 April 2013, 12:01 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Neither, in order of preference for similar or less money my choices below.

Spec C, Remap.
JDM STI, Remap.
Type 20, if you can find one.
UK Wide Track STI, Mod with left over cash.
UK Blob STI, Also Mod with left over cash.

Or a freshly imported Type r and build to required spec with left over cash.

Old 05 April 2013, 12:07 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Neither.... get a Spec C

As above ive now owned my spec c 14 months longest car ive owned all my life and trust me easy the best all round subaru you can buy.
Old 05 April 2013, 12:53 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BIG FUD
As above ive now owned my spec c 14 months longest car ive owned all my life and trust me easy the best all round subaru you can buy.
Not exactly a standard specc thought bo53 ;-)
Old 05 April 2013, 04:39 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

What is wrong with twinscroll i have had both .twinscroll are great
Old 06 April 2013, 09:28 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Not exactly a standard specc thought bo53 ;-)
They are awesome in standard (ish) spec

Last edited by B4D HK; 06 April 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06 April 2013, 12:35 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ok I never meant there were anything wrong with them. In fairness they are better spec out of the box but for me and again on goes the flame suit just I find the twinscroll setup dull to drive. I appreciate the lack of lag in stock form is great yet it to me is a very linear power band and to me is dull. I had prior to my type 25 a p1 moded to the 350 ish mark with suspension mods, ap brakes and a six speed box and every time I got out of it I had a huge smile on my face and couldn't wait to get back in it. Just with the type 25 I got out and thought it was ok. Still with the flame suit on i missed the flat four burble and if i wanted a engine that sounded like every other jap car out there well I wouldn't be driving a Subaru. As for the instant power and lack of lag, the moment you start playing with engine builds, FMIC etc and larger turbos then with the correct gear change the power delivery is in my opinion a no different even on stock cars I appreciate from standstill that the twinscroll kicks in sooner but on the live there will be very little on it and considering we are not all racing drivers and are not trying to shave 10ths of seconds of our daily commute I personally think it's not the be all and end all.

I'm not knocking them all. I m saying is that most times a post is put up about think of buying alot of people pop up telling people to buy jdm. Now there are not that many jdm newage cars in the country so I'm assuming Lot of it is people parroting what they have read on here. as I've had both all I'm advising is for the op to test drive both and see what he prefers as there are a few of us that listened to the jdm crew so went out and bought one, then sold it on to go back to single scroll set ups.

It's horses for courses

Best of luck to the op
Old 06 April 2013, 12:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Ok I never meant there were anything wrong with them. In fairness they are better spec out of the box but for me and again on goes the flame suit just I find the twinscroll setup dull to drive. I appreciate the lack of lag in stock form is great yet it to me is a very linear power band and to me is dull. I had prior to my type 25 a p1 moded to the 350 ish mark with suspension mods, ap brakes and a six speed box and every time I got out of it I had a huge smile on my face and couldn't wait to get back in it. Just with the type 25 I got out and thought it was ok. Still with the flame suit on i missed the flat four burble and if i wanted a engine that sounded like every other jap car out there well I wouldn't be driving a Subaru. As for the instant power and lack of lag, the moment you start playing with engine builds, FMIC etc and larger turbos then with the correct gear change the power delivery is in my opinion a no different even on stock cars I appreciate from standstill that the twinscroll kicks in sooner but on the live there will be very little on it and considering we are not all racing drivers and are not trying to shave 10ths of seconds of our daily commute I personally think it's not the be all and end all.

I'm not knocking them all. I m saying is that most times a post is put up about think of buying alot of people pop up telling people to buy jdm. Now there are not that many jdm newage cars in the country so I'm assuming Lot of it is people parroting what they have read on here. as I've had both all I'm advising is for the op to test drive both and see what he prefers as there are a few of us that listened to the jdm crew so went out and bought one, then sold it on to go back to single scroll set ups.

It's horses for courses

Best of luck to the op

+1 the jdm thing is mostly people repeating what they have read rather than what they have experienced.
i had a jdm car and like you didnt like the lack of burble, the power delivery i could live with though.
the difference in spec is minor really and the extra equipment you really dont use, like rear wiper and auto water spray.
i wouldnt buy a wr1 though a uk sti widetrack is a far better car let alone a type 25
Old 06 April 2013, 02:13 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've owned 4 UK cars and 2 JDM's I've Driven lots UK and Jdm and yes compared many to my T20 in various places such as Race tracks. Autobahns A/B roads drag strip etc

yes the the twin scroll does not give the snap in the neck like the Uk turbo. but it does start earlier and last longer. A 360/340 UK and my old T20 on a drag strip there would be little in them to choose between them.

But in the real world on the road overtaking, cornering and on the track. The twin scroll power in any Rev range really shows how the Uk struggled to compete. The main issue is that the Uk Wes rarely at the optimum RPM which is either dictated by the road or others this was never an issue for the twin scroll.

So yes the Uk is great on traffic light grand Prix, Drag strips and neck jerking but that equates to 100 miles per year it,s the other 10k a year that I need it to be good

IMHO

Tony
Old 06 April 2013, 02:21 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

It's horses for courses

Best of luck to the op

Absolutely spot on!

I quite understand the JDM is the 'better' or 'stronger' engine, but like you, I love the flat 4 burble and the JDM doesnt do that.

The same argument can also be had for 2.0 UK and 2.5 UK. I had a 2.0 blob and then went to a hawk 2.5 and whilst the 2.5 was very quick day to day because of the lineer power, it just didnt make me smile like the 2.0. SAme with the noise. I ended up with a full decat and a vortex afterburner on the hawk just to try to get the burble I wanted but I still couldnt get it sounding like the 2.0 did with a back box change!.

My advice to anyone is drive as many as you can and see what suits you. I for one will be going back to either a late blob sti or maybe a good classic.

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 06 April 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06 April 2013, 05:11 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Well like you said they are all good it is down to what you like .But when i bought a jdm 2 of them i never missed the burble and prefered the moterbike howl on full chat
Old 06 April 2013, 05:50 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

See I'm with Stevie on this one. I bought my first Classic 8 years ago now, then went Bugeye then bought a WR1. It was a good car, slightly modded and sounded how a Subaru should. I sold that and waited for a Hawkeye Spec C came up as that's what I'd set my heart on. Luckily enough 4 weeks later and 2 miles away a Hawk Spec C came up and I bought it there and then. A few mods later and it was a lovely 329/348. Although I missed the 'Subaru' sound. Always on the look out for something different that went and now I'm in a 425bhp 22B....now that sounds proper!
Old 06 April 2013, 05:51 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

But Glen if your S204 ever came up for sale I'd be tempted back to twin scroll!
Old 06 April 2013, 08:25 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by S204 Glenn
Well like you said they are all good it is down to what you like .But when i bought a jdm 2 of them i never missed the burble and prefered the moterbike howl on full chat
+1 never missed the burble. I now have a burbling 340R UK and no where near as quick as the JDM

This my old t20 and sounds great IMHO

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plpp&v=KQbUrFsN0cI
Tony
Old 06 April 2013, 08:41 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

turbo 2000 is the best car for the money........
Old 06 April 2013, 09:19 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I`m just going to echo whats already been said, Never missed the burble when i swapped to JDM and cant see myself ever going back to a UK car now, I prefer the low down torque/response that you get with the twinscroll, Spec-C FTW

Quick Reply: WR1 or type 25