Sponsored by:

Private Plate Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2013, 04:49 PM
DRobins
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private Plate Advice

Hi, Hope this is in the correct section.

Just wondering if any of you guys can give me a bit of advice regarding private plates.

My car (2005 STi) currently has V400 WRX on it and theres something about it that I just don't like. I'm wanting to get rid and either get a new private plate or even just put a standard 55 plate back on. The only problem I have is how do I do it, do I buy the new plate and get it put on, and then sell the plate I have now? Do I have to buy a retention cert for the WRX plate? etc

Just after a bit of advice because I've never had much to do with private plates

Cheers
Old 05 March 2013, 04:54 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Retention is the way to go unless you already have a buyer lined up, valid for 2 years before having to renew
Old 05 March 2013, 05:01 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DRobins
Hi, Hope this is in the correct section.

Just wondering if any of you guys can give me a bit of advice regarding private plates.

My car (2005 STi) currently has V400 WRX on it and theres something about it that I just don't like. I'm wanting to get rid and either get a new private plate or even just put a standard 55 plate back on. The only problem I have is how do I do it, do I buy the new plate and get it put on, and then sell the plate I have now? Do I have to buy a retention cert for the WRX plate? etc

Just after a bit of advice because I've never had much to do with private plates

Cheers
Put your V400 WRX plate on retention and DVLA will issue an age related plate (i.e. "55") for your to place on your car.

You will need to send to your local DVLA office (post via Special Delivery or take in person) the V5 and MOT Certificate together with the retention application form which can be downloaded here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_069390.pdf

Fees are:

12 months £105
24 months £130
36 months £155

Once DVLA have received the above they will send you a new tax disc with the new "55" registration number.

Approx. 3-4 weeks later you will receive a green retention certificate (and then you can sell/transfer V plate).

Approx. 4-6 weeks later you will receive the new V5 and MOT certificate with new "55" details.

PS Deal with your local DVLA office as the service appears to be better than going to HQ @ Swansea.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus.../findnear.aspx
Old 05 March 2013, 05:50 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perfect explanation, As above.

The if you want to sell the V400 WRX you just pass on the retention document to the new owner and they have a £25 fee to change ownership/apply the plate to their car.

It can be quicker and easier if you do it at your local DVLA office.

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 05 March 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05 March 2013, 06:12 PM
DRobins
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys top advice and much appreciated!
Old 05 March 2013, 06:48 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DRobins
Cheers guys top advice and much appreciated!
Sorry I forgot to mention - don't forget to change the registration details on your insurance policy schedule (your broker or insurance provider will do this).

Also if you have Traker etc they will need new registration details.
Old 05 March 2013, 08:42 PM
Pez
Scooby Regular

... And don't go getting pulled over by the police for no insurance because you forget to swap the details over with the insurance company... Opps!!!! (luckily he checked my old plate and let me off with nothing more than a ticking off)