Sponsored by:

key fob failure

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2013, 07:30 PM
martinb344
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key fob failure

A weard thing hapened with my car today. On the way back from the Mid Wales rally stages we were all fealing hungry so we decided to stop just outside Rhyader in a service station for some food ,I parked the Bug up got out tried to lock the door with the key fob nothing happenend so i checked all the doors as my mates had gone to order food, All were closed then i tried to start the car again nothing the imobaliser light did not come on by the clock it did flash on the fob im thinking what the hells going on here.I got out the manual just to see whats going on reading the alarm trouble shooting sections We tried everything. I went to the garage to ask for their postcode to ring the Rac on the way back to the car i spot a big moblie Phone mast hidden behind a tree. Remembering what guide said about signal interferance we pushed the car to the other side of the station fourcourt and guess what the car started straight away. Ijust thought i would post this in case it happens to sombody else.
Old 03 March 2013, 07:45 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Did the service station have auto doors?
Had the same problem, it's the radar on auto doors that the alarm thinks its being scanned and protects itself.
Old 03 March 2013, 07:49 PM
martinb344
Scooby Regular

No it must have been the phone mast because once we pushed the car back my mates phone lost his signal bars and the car started as in normaly does
Old 03 March 2013, 07:55 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Phone masts work on a completely different frequency and wave length, I know it's what I do for work, you will find threads on hear regarding auto doors and alarm issues, the radar is on the same wave length as the alarm.
Old 03 March 2013, 09:11 PM
fingerscooby
Scooby Regular

This happened to my bugeye immobiliser the day I got it, I parked in sainsburys, but think it was the police antenna that was blocking the signal , I went to Subaru and got a protective shield fitted around the immobiliser, been fine since.
Old 03 March 2013, 09:17 PM
martinb344
Scooby Regular

What type of shield did you have fitted? and where is the actual imobaliser unit on the car?