Sponsored by:

£460 road tax.....

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2013, 10:51 PM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £460 road tax.....

posted in scoobynet general but not just applicable to scooby's, i find it disgusting that i have to pay this amount in road tax. i would honestly pay this much, happily, if the roads were in good condition and i didn't have to swerve to the other side of the road to avoid a 6 inch deep pot hole that would rip a wheel off if hit at speed. where the hell is all this money going??? btw, my local council sent me a map of my local area with a red pen asking me to colour in any areas of the road that need addressing. needless to say, i coloured in every road in red and promptly posted it back to them...
Old 25 February 2013, 10:53 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

The money goes to cover black holes of the economy ...
Old 25 February 2013, 10:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run my classic and my work VRS for the same tax I used to pay for my STi Spec D I used to do 500 miles a year in the latter and now I do 12k miles a year in the VRS for £250 It's all bullsh1t mate
Old 25 February 2013, 10:55 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

yes the roads are becoming more like indian dirt tracks, seems to me they dig them up then 12 months later dig them up again why !???????????? stupidity.
Old 25 February 2013, 11:15 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why diesels are so cheap to tax. Yes CO2 is less than a petrol engine but we've all been behind diesels and seen of the sh*tty carbon particulates that they spit out the back. If tax was based on anything but CO2 then am sure that diesels would cost more..
Old 25 February 2013, 11:32 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by sssssteeeee
yes the roads are becoming more like indian dirt tracks, seems to me they dig them up then 12 months later dig them up again why !???????????? stupidity.
Cause every time they dig a hole , the person who assigns them the job get some work done for free in their house e.g. painting
Old 25 February 2013, 11:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

At £460 its still only £1.26 a DAY

I know people who pay more for $ky TV.

IMHO suck it it up or sell it for some eco-box....the fuel bill is far far far higher than the road tax, even in the M band.

Of course, where the tax get spent is the problem, not the net amount.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 February 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 25 February 2013, 11:47 PM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

I know people who pay more for $ky TV.

IMHO suck it it up or sell it for some eco-box....the fuel bill is far far far higher than the road tax, even in the M band.

Of course, where the tax get spent is the problem, not the net amount.
im only complaining about the cost because of the state of the roads, i would happily pay twice the amount if the roads were decent!!! **** having a prius or something crap like that lol!
Old 26 February 2013, 12:44 AM
WE!
Scooby Regular

Its really bad - you should aim to buy a WR1 - they offer the best performance to taxamax ratio. If you buy an 06 your being mugged off.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:45 AM
Streetracersti
Scooby Regular

460 ? my R/tax is 475 !
best performance to taxamax ratio - I like that
Old 26 February 2013, 07:42 AM
Moseley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983
im only complaining about the cost because of the state of the roads, i would happily pay twice the amount if the roads were decent!!! **** having a prius or something crap like that lol!
I'm not sure if you're aware that 'road tax' isn't road tax, it is vehicle excise duty, and doesn't actually go towards road maintenance at all?

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
I don't understand why diesels are so cheap to tax. Yes CO2 is less than a petrol engine but we've all been behind diesels and seen of the sh*tty carbon particulates that they spit out the back. If tax was based on anything but CO2 then am sure that diesels would cost more..
Because carbon particulates are not killing all the polar bears...
Old 26 February 2013, 07:51 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its still a rip off.... what ever the govt say its for.

So so insures us against the council and their pot holes? the holes arent our holes... they belong to the govt..... who protects us?
Old 26 February 2013, 08:21 AM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Doesn't sound so good if it's not your daily driver, in my case it's more like £10 every time I use it.
Old 26 February 2013, 08:36 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you could have got a different car. i got a hawkeye wrx, missed the high tax band by 22 days
Old 26 February 2013, 08:37 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moseley
Because carbon particulates are not killing all the polar bears...
Neither are cars - it's all the people on the planet breathing out CO2, farming animals (methane is worse than CO2) and ripping down rainforests for food.

I believe more CO2 is exhaled by humans than produced by cars.
Old 26 February 2013, 12:00 PM
Orangio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
Yes the government don't want you to drive that particular model of vehicle because they dont like it. The fact you want to drive it because you like it, and its a good car for the type of rough roads they provide us with is of no interest to them.

I suggest you find a way to get your own back as clearly they enjoy mugging you off.

Personally I have bought a 1959 pickup with a separate chassis and am doing a complete body swap to bring it up to modern standards. Then it will be both Mot & tax exempt and I will happily drive around belching out emissions through un catalysed exhaust system. This is okay btw. because the government are really clever and they say its okay so it must be, so just in case anyone was thinking thats a bit silly its not alrighty!

Oh and I bought a van size trailer rather than a small van because they cant figure out how to MOT or tax trailers (yet) and I load all manner of craap in there and drive around with a big grin on my face! Also this is fine because I use more fuel towing the trailer than a van alone does, and I take up more space on the road, and I am more of a danger to other road users because I cant stop as quick. This is what they want you to do because its better, okay?!

Also I bought an electric bike using the government scheme which paid for half of it (£500) and have currently done 3000 miles commuting on it saving 6000 miles in fuel duty (its twice as far to drive as I can blast along the cyclepaths legally and without a helmet on an e-bike). I think overall that puts the government coffers down significantly. Glad to hear my contribution to a cleaner Britain comes with such a great personal financial reward.

Honestly, find other ways to beat the system and you will feel a lot better about paying out from one hand if you can take back using the other.

Basically begin to rage a personal war against the powers that control you lol! Learn to use the system to your advantage my friend, its liberating!
Quality, Bravo to you Sir
Old 26 February 2013, 01:27 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983
posted in scoobynet general but not just applicable to scooby's, i find it disgusting that i have to pay this amount in road tax. i would honestly pay this much, happily, if the roads were in good condition and i didn't have to swerve to the other side of the road to avoid a 6 inch deep pot hole that would rip a wheel off if hit at speed. where the hell is all this money going??? btw, my local council sent me a map of my local area with a red pen asking me to colour in any areas of the road that need addressing. needless to say, i coloured in every road in red and promptly posted it back to them...
I am in your camp, and totaly agree with you budd....!
Old 26 February 2013, 01:27 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

lol ......I hate being mugged off as well

Right, moff to sell the car I'm sure I've got a couple of old Lithium batteries laying about, just need to find the bike.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:37 PM
Scooby_Norm
Scooby Regular

I Love my December 05 registered Hawk STI, thanks revolution motorstore, £260 per year.

Though I agree with the general comments, the roads don't see enough of the money back for repairs etc.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:44 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
Yes the government don't want you to drive that particular model of vehicle because they dont like it. The fact you want to drive it because you like it, and its a good car for the type of rough roads they provide us with is of no interest to them.

I suggest you find a way to get your own back as clearly they enjoy mugging you off.

Personally I have bought a 1959 pickup with a separate chassis and am doing a complete body swap to bring it up to modern standards. Then it will be both Mot & tax exempt and I will happily drive around belching out emissions through un catalysed exhaust system. This is okay btw. because the government are really clever and they say its okay so it must be, so just in case anyone was thinking thats a bit silly its not alrighty!

Oh and I bought a van size trailer rather than a small van because they cant figure out how to MOT or tax trailers (yet) and I load all manner of craap in there and drive around with a big grin on my face! Also this is fine because I use more fuel towing the trailer than a van alone does, and I take up more space on the road, and I am more of a danger to other road users because I cant stop as quick. This is what they want you to do because its better, okay?!

Also I bought an electric bike using the government scheme which paid for half of it (£500) and have currently done 3000 miles commuting on it saving 6000 miles in fuel duty (its twice as far to drive as I can blast along the cyclepaths legally and without a helmet on an e-bike). I think overall that puts the government coffers down significantly. Glad to hear my contribution to a cleaner Britain comes with such a great personal financial reward.

Honestly, find other ways to beat the system and you will feel a lot better about paying out from one hand if you can take back using the other.

Basically begin to rage a personal war against the powers that control you lol! Learn to use the system to your advantage my friend, its liberating!
I bought a Prius and stuck a 400bhp Scoob engine and running gear in it.

Personally, I don't know why Subaru, and other similar makes, don't do a totally detuned engine which runs not a lot CO2 which is easily mapped to provide proper power. Tax is based on the original car not the tuned car as L3YMS has alluded to.

Last edited by GeeDee; 26 February 2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 26 February 2013, 04:13 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't pay £460 a year for tax even if the roads were the dogzwotsits. Our lovely government are there to rip you off in any way possible it seems and this is just another one on their long list.
I only buy older cars (depending on tax bracket) which is why I have another classic. I also have a 4.6 Ford Lincoln which still costs me the same to tax as my 2.0 scoob

*uckoffyoutheivingscumbags.co.uk
Old 26 February 2013, 04:16 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2006 Spec D 2000 miles per year £475
2007 Golf GT Sport TDI 15,000 miles per year £135

Which car is polluting the air more with co2, based on the mileage's I do?
Old 27 February 2013, 07:43 AM
Moseley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nyscooby
Its still a rip off.... what ever the govt say its for.

So so insures us against the council and their pot holes? the holes arent our holes... they belong to the govt..... who protects us?
As far as I'm aware, it's all down to individual local councils. Council tax goes towards it, and probably helps pay out in the event of claims.

Originally Posted by gdavey
Neither are cars - it's all the people on the planet breathing out CO2, farming animals (methane is worse than CO2) and ripping down rainforests for food.

I believe more CO2 is exhaled by humans than produced by cars.
Not entirely sure if that's true, cars are definitely one of the main producers, if not the top producer of CO2. Regardless of that though, you can't really tax people based on their lung capacity!
Old 27 February 2013, 07:27 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is part a part of a report by the United Nations

"Cattle are most to blame - livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together."