Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you changed the flywheel when changing the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2013, 10:38 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you changed the flywheel when changing the clutch?

As above...Out of curiosity & to make up my mind! My clutch is on it's way out & I'm considering the exedy clutch but not sure whether to buy a light weight flywheel too. I guess I could have the original flywheel skimmed if needed?? I just don't want to throw a lot of money on a now old & cheap car!
Cheers
Old 19 February 2013, 11:10 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Standard exedy running not much extra power. Flywheel unmarked and flat with only very minor cracking so reused it. Removed the flywheel to replace the pilot bearing and crankshaft seal, and had another flywheel ready if I considered it needed changing, so my decision wasn't forced by circumstance.

Stayed with standard weight flywheel as have run lightened flywheels in the past and the only thing I really noticed was a lumpy idle (1.6i cvh running a cvh22 cam with full Piper system including split manifold) and i needed more revs to get moving or risk stalling. Annoying in traffic.

Also (and I stand to be corrected here as I have not run one on a turbo car) but a lightened flywheel doesn't help launch. And, whilst it improves the throttle response, it also drops the revs faster and is more likely to drop the engine out of the boost rev range on gear changes.

If it is a track only car and you are good on clutch/throttle control then go for it. On a daily driver, not my cup of tea.

You could get it skimmed as you suggest, and maybe benefit from a minor weight loss. Am sure others will be along with differing (more expensive) viewpoints in a minute

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 19 February 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 20 February 2013, 09:52 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
Standard exedy running not much extra power. Flywheel unmarked and flat with only very minor cracking so reused it. Removed the flywheel to replace the pilot bearing and crankshaft seal, and had another flywheel ready if I considered it needed changing, so my decision wasn't forced by circumstance.

Stayed with standard weight flywheel as have run lightened flywheels in the past and the only thing I really noticed was a lumpy idle (1.6i cvh running a cvh22 cam with full Piper system including split manifold) and i needed more revs to get moving or risk stalling. Annoying in traffic.

Also (and I stand to be corrected here as I have not run one on a turbo car) but a lightened flywheel doesn't help launch. And, whilst it improves the throttle response, it also drops the revs faster and is more likely to drop the engine out of the boost rev range on gear changes.

If it is a track only car and you are good on clutch/throttle control then go for it. On a daily driver, not my cup of tea.

You could get it skimmed as you suggest, and maybe benefit from a minor weight loss. Am sure others will be along with differing (more expensive) viewpoints in a minute

Cheers mate. Yeah I was leaning towards using the standard flywheel. I can't justify the expense of a lightened flywheel. Plus most driving will be done on the roads not the track!