Classic STI vs bugeye WRX....

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2013, 06:39 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic STI vs bugeye WRX....

Hi folks,

I've been looking for a clean classic STI for about 6 weeks and I know that's not a long time in reality but I'm getting pretty impatient lol.

I've just been reading a post about getting a bugeye WRX to around 300bhp and it sounded like a doddle.

So what I want to know is if you were in my position with a budget of about 3.5k max would you hold on and see if the right classic STI turns up or go for a bug eye and up the power to around 300?

Would there be much difference performance wise from the two both running around the 300bhp mark, I'm assuming the bug eye is heavier than classic?

Also where would be best to get a car mapped properly? I'm in the northeast (Newcastle) would this mean a trip up to Andy Forrest?

Many thanks

Mick
Old 10 January 2013, 06:43 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sti classic all the way in my opinion I have a black version 5 sti for sale totally standard if your interested
Old 10 January 2013, 06:56 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Could you send me some pics and details matey, no doubt you'll be in London or Cornwall lol

Cheers

Mick
Old 10 January 2013, 07:00 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Classic m8
Old 10 January 2013, 07:07 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Thats an interesting point seeing as both cars really are in the same ball park for price. I think the bug seems to take the same/more power without the risks of the classic at around 320.

I have owned 2 classics and currently own a WRX v2 so if I had 3k burning a hole I'd prob go for the bug wagon but simply for a change of scene.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:09 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Getting a wrx to 280-290 is fairly easy but you will be pushing the turbo, clutch and injectors to the max.
Add in sti pinks for 100 quid, upgraded clutch 150 and maybe a small upgrade in turbo, 150ish. Dont forget labour and make sure the car is fit to handle the power ref brakes and suspension as they do degrade badly over time.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

It's ok someone saying its a doddle to get to 300bhp in a Bugeye, but remember its a heavier car than the classic so 300bhp won't feel as quick, ie you'd need more power to compensate for the lardier newage.

I'd get a nice clean classic (UK or STi) and mod it. I got my UK wagon up from 215bhp to 284bhp with an exhaust, air filter, Walbro fuel pump and remap. An STi will be over 300 with the same mods.

Only downside is classics are older but only by a couple of years.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:19 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Should probably have stated that although not a mechanic by trade I do all my own spannering and would be fitting everything myself etc including clutch if needed the only thing I would need to fork out for would be the remap, I've broke 2 classics recently for a mate who seems to have a talent for destroying cranks, rods, pistons and blocks in spectacular fashion!

Is it true the oil pumps are prone to cause issues in all the classics?

Would a tuned bug eye be more reliable than a classic STI?

Thanks for the info so far.

Mick
Old 10 January 2013, 07:21 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

In my household I have a newage and the wife has a classic but I enjoy driving her classic because it feels less refined then the newage more rawer and fun to drive.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:07 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zippy!
Sti classic all the way in my opinion I have a black version 5 sti for sale totally standard if your interested
Have a link?
Old 10 January 2013, 08:10 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Classic for me ....
Old 10 January 2013, 08:52 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ive drove both as well. my classic wagon is running 315bhp, andy f remap 440,s etc and feels pretty damn quick. test drove a jdm bugeye sti which my boss ended up buying. it has been remapped to 300bhp and it just didnt feel as quick as the wagon and definetely didnt have that raw feeling of acceleration either. but hes scratched his itch now and asked if i want to buy it so im considering it as i have an itch for an sti! lol. i love the look of the sti and its got a full set of defis etc but i would prob have to get another turbo on it to get a bit more power.
Old 10 January 2013, 10:48 PM
coldflame90
Scooby Regular

If your from the Newcastle area mate the local forum for you to use is north east Subaru forum(nesf) type that in on google and follow the links to it. There are mapping days set up usually every month or every other month with both Andy Forrest and bob rawle both very well respected mappers within the Subaru community. There is also the monthly meet where you can speak to owners of both new age and classic, it's a very friendly forum bud you should definitely sign up
Old 11 January 2013, 06:13 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, I'll sign up tonight, someone pointed me to the forum for cars for sale in the northeast but there seemed to be very little activity.

I'll sign up anyway for the crack

Cheers

Mick