Sponsored by:

Opinion on this WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2013, 05:40 PM
fernandofan08
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on this WRX

Hi guys. My RX8 engine failed on me yesterday (I know, I couldnt believe it after 3 months and 4 days after expressing interest in a scooby) but im getting £1500 for her (though ive spent 4.8k) and ill be able to scrounge up another £1000 or so, and ive spotted this WRX, looked at her on autotrader and found it on ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2908371282...84.m1423.l2649

Seem pretty good, and its my favourite colour. Its had a cambelt put on it, but obviously id go into more detail there.

Initial opinions guys? Looked for a buyers guide but no look, what would you guys check? Rust around the arches? Anything to do with the turbo and/or clutch/gearbox?
Old 10 January 2013, 05:43 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not buy a standard bugeye wrx, you will be disappointed, I was but always had plans to up the power etc so it was a reasonable starting block but looking back, I probably should have bought one that already had some of the bits done like skirts and larger spoiler etc. Purely my opinion though.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:48 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Yeh,, pretty much agree with brendy76,
I also bought a standard bug wrx but had lots of plans for it inc power and looks ect. The bug in the ad looks like a nice clean car imho
Old 10 January 2013, 05:49 PM
fernandofan08
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brendy76
Do not buy a standard bugeye wrx, you will be disappointed, I was but always had plans to up the power etc so it was a reasonable starting block but looking back, I probably should have bought one that already had some of the bits done like skirts and larger spoiler etc. Purely my opinion though.
Yeah. See im torn because I dont know if id even want to modify one. At this moment in time with the loss of my RX8, I just want a decent car. Prodrive exhaust is a nice little plus, but I dont know if id bother modifying one, or just continue to do my usual 5000 miles a year until ive got alot more money under my belt and buy an STi.

But I did look at modifying a bugeye turbo, and it wouldnt be too bad to buy and do in a year or so. Im happy with waiting for a while with a standard car before modding or moving up abit on the mods.

I mean the standard ones arent THAT slow are they? Should be about as equal as an RX8 right? Mine was only pumping 180bhp out anyway, 228bhp figure is an utter lie.

Last edited by fernandofan08; 10 January 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:56 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it, panel filter, exhaust and remap = 280-300bhp
All you'll ever need on the road
Standard td04 turbo has quick spool so you'll eat most cars alive on the road

Wiley
Old 10 January 2013, 05:58 PM
fernandofan08
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiley
Get it, panel filter, exhaust and remap = 280-300bhp
All you'll ever need on the road
Standard td04 turbo has quick spool so you'll eat most cars alive on the road

Wiley
Really? Better than the RX8 by miles then. 5k for a turbo without fitting and VAT, and it wouldnt really get much more than that.

Cheers wiley.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:58 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fernandofan08
Yeah. See im torn because I dont know if id even want to modify one. At this moment in time with the loss of my RX8, I just want a decent car. Prodrive exhaust is a nice little plus, but I dont know if id bother modifying one, or just continue to do my usual 5000 miles a year until ive got alot more money under my belt and buy an STi.

But I did look at modifying a bugeye turbo, and it wouldnt be too bad to buy and do in a year or so. Im happy with waiting for a while with a standard car before modding or moving up abit on the mods.

I mean the standard ones arent THAT slow are they? Should be about as equal as an RX8 right? Mine was only pumping 180bhp out anyway, 228bhp figure is an utter lie.
The uk wrx will be around 220bhp and with a few mods can easily make 340-350bhp ie full decat, 550 injectors, tdo5 16g turbo and a re map And all this can be done for under £700 if you source second hand parts and fit them yourself
Old 10 January 2013, 06:00 PM
fernandofan08
Scooby Regular

Awsome. I knew that the Impreza was quite an easy car to modify and that there was quite alot of parts available. With to god i went with the subaru option in the first.
Old 10 January 2013, 06:38 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by addi monster
The uk wrx will be around 220bhp and with a few mods can easily make 340-350bhp ie full decat, 550 injectors, tdo5 16g turbo and a re map And all this can be done for under £700 if you source second hand parts and fit them yourself
plus another 700 for remap and you finish at 3900 -bug sti price with 6 speed worth alone 1.5k plus brembo etc,
Old 10 January 2013, 06:45 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
plus another 700 for remap and you finish at 3900 -bug sti price with 6 speed worth alone 1.5k plus brembo etc,
How the hell do you work that one out

OS re map on rollers by a very trusted mapper on here £300, tdo5 16g turbo £100, 550 pinks £100, full decat (second hand cobra for example) £140, few gaskets £40.
When i went to school that was under £700 and the prices are right aswell
Old 10 January 2013, 06:47 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

Go for bug sti if you can afford mate or classic sti in mint condition can be had for your current budget
Old 10 January 2013, 06:51 PM
Spivscooby
Scooby Regular

OS re map on rollers by a very trusted mapper on here £300, tdo5 16g turbo £100, 550 pinks £100, full decat (second hand cobra for example) £140, few gaskets £40.

^^^^
Old 10 January 2013, 06:54 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Remap can be done a lot cheaper but factor in the essentials on an 11 year old car.
Brake caliper refurb, exhaust if the twin peashooter hasnt been replaced,new shocks (because the rears will be wrecked by now)and any other age related replacement bushes etc.

Honestly, either save a little more and get the parts at the same time or buy one that has already had some of these things done.
The stock wrx is not fast by any means, it felt as quick/slow as my old 180bhp cupra before I went stage two on that.
Mods can be done on a budget but looking back, I wish I had just bought a better example or an sti.
Saying that my wrx is putting out around 310bhp and 320 lb/f torque. I bought all of my mods at great prices from shopping around and fitting myself but just to reiterate, the standard wrx needs a lot of help (remap, refreshed brakes and fresh suspension) to get it away from underwhelming all round to a decent quick pacey saloon.

Last edited by brendy76; 10 January 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:19 PM
fawor
BANNED

show me td05 16g with 350bhp- you wrote above 350 not 320

to get there you need yet- sti top mount intercooer, fuel pump, 3 port,,full decat,sparks,and list go on -fitment,
plus clutch for few pennys and brakes 400 ( 350bhp on 4pots- forget)
you could have bug sti for 3.5k with possibility good clutch then dont write bull**** here how cheap you could have 350bhp
2500 wrx plus parts and remap ok 3400 together
3.5k bug sti plus decat,sparks, remap 4k
lower suspension on sti, alloys clear brembo , not sure about steering rack is the same ,everything cost money
andy forrest site state no way for 16g with 350 thats a myth, different rollers different figures,or oem remap advantage

Last edited by fawor; 10 January 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:27 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Look @ my avatar that one was 352bhp on a tdo5 16g
One thing i did forget was the need for a bigger tmic which can be bought for £135 from race spec and they will see 380 with ease, it does not need a 3 port or new plugs as the standard 6's will do fine.

Last edited by addi monster; 10 January 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:32 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Pffttt £700 for a re map,,,, I rest my case.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:45 PM
fawor
BANNED

as above any decent mapper or oem witcher did it
700 -remap with license from trusted mapper
printout to prove-for my own you can put your boyfriend avatar with 352 on his smaller head
and tell us which td05 16g it is, im sure not standard for 150 quid,which clutch do you have,im sure not standard thats another 600
any fpr fitted? and list go on
you forget about many things for 350 espescially turbo

Look @ my avatar that one was 352bhp on a tdo5 16g
One thing i did forget was the need for a bigger tmic which can be bought for £135 from race spec and they will see 380 with ease, it does not need a 3 port or new plugs as the standard 6's will do fine.

Last edited by fawor; 10 January 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:55 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

as above any decent mapper or oem witcher did it
700 -remap with license from trusted mapper
printout to prove-for my own you can put your boyfriend avatar with 352 on his head
and tell us which td05 16g it is, im sure not standard for 150 quid,which clutch do you have,im sure not standard thats another 600
I am sorry but you're rambling on is not making any sense to me at all.
My tdo5 16g was a normal run of the mill one mapped on scoobyclinics rollers and also mapped on G R Performances rollers where it consistantly produced that power. It was mapped by a mapper on here (the best in my opinion) .
A bugeye can be OS mapped for as little as £300 on the rollers (which i had one done last month) by said mapper.
When it was first mapped it was on the OE clutch and it held fine for some time.
As for the rest of the shyte you have typed i realy cant help you.
Many people saw the car and turbo in question and will back these claims up but as i sold it last year i no longer have the dyno graphs as the new owner obviously wanted them.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:58 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

you forget about many things for 350 espescially turbo
Are you realy that thick ? Read the post's.

Go and do some research for god sake

Infact read this. If you disagree with Harvey you are some eejit

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...rbo-views.html

Last edited by addi monster; 10 January 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:02 PM
fawor
BANNED

yeah bla bla bla , i knew it
few times mapped - no printout, buhaha,
You are dreaming Troll

I am sorry but you're rambling on is not making any sense to me at all.
My tdo5 16g was a normal run of the mill one mapped on scoobyclinics rollers and also mapped on G R Performances rollers where it consistantly produced that power. It was mapped by a mapper on here (the best in my opinion) .
A bugeye can be OS mapped for as little as £300 on the rollers (which i had one done last month) by said mapper.
When it was first mapped it was on the OE clutch and it held fine for some time.
As for the rest of the shyte you have typed i realy cant help you.
Many people saw the car and turbo in question and will back these claims up but as i sold it last year i no longer have the dyno graphs as the new owner obviously wanted them.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:02 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I mean the standard ones arent THAT slow are they?
No, but they aint exactly blisteringly fast either..

You need decat/sports cat + remap and some better brakes, the oem items are shockingly bad.

Mine made 287BHP after removing all the cats, fitting Prodrive sports cat and changing the intercooler hoses. It was pretty quick. For a while anyway.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:27 PM
fernandofan08
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
No, but they aint exactly blisteringly fast either..

You need decat/sports cat + remap and some better brakes, the oem items are shockingly bad.

Mine made 287BHP after removing all the cats, fitting Prodrive sports cat and changing the intercooler hoses. It was pretty quick. For a while anyway.
its got a prodrive exhaust already on it, but like I said, for a good 3-4 months Ill be leaving it standard. Didnt mean to cause an argument over turbos and whatever it is going off!

All I know, ill be happy with a standard so long as its good nick, then gradually do bits and pieces.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:35 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

For a small tweak, you could go with a FULL decat inc uppipe, panel filter, upgraded fuel pump and a good service with some heat 7 plugs and a remap, that should see you at 280-300hp but depending on life of engine and turbo. That's your first step and not over costly.
2nd step would be, sti tmic, 550 injectors and a bigger turbo ie, vf30/35/34 or td05 16/18g
Should see you around 330-350.
Some cars will require a 3port but newer ones shouldn't need it unless going for bigger power, not sure on the bug, your mapper will advise on that if you need one and can supply and fit on mapping day.
I wouldn't mod further than that as its a fast enough road car by then and you'll need a 6 speed to cope with more power so isnt worth the cost on a wrx.
Defiantly upgrade your brakes and handling at these levels as power is nothing without control.
Regards

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 10 January 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:42 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
For a small tweak, you could go with a FULL decat inc uppipe, panel filter, upgraded fuel pump and a good service with some heat 7 plugs and a remap, that should see you at 280-300hp but depending on life of engine and turbo. That's your first step and not over costly.
2nd step would be, sti tmic, 550 injectors and a bigger turbo ie, vf30/35/34 or td05 16/18g
Some cars will require a 3port but newer ones shouldn't need it unless going for bigger power, not sure on the bug, your mapper will advise on that if you need one and can supply and fit on mapping day.
I wouldn't mod further than that as its a fast enough road car by then and you'll need a 6 speed to cope with more power so isnt with the cost on a wrx.
Defiantly upgrade your brakes and handling at these levels as power is nothing without control.
Regards
I agree with most of that but for an extra £200ish you may aswell pop the turbo(16g £100ish) and pinks on as it will save the tweaking fees later.
One more thing the 4 pots are fine for road use with good pads and discs
Old 10 January 2013, 08:56 PM
fernandofan08
Scooby Regular

I agree with most of that but for an extra £200ish you may aswell pop the turbo(16g £100ish) and pinks on as it will save the tweaking fees later.
One more thing the 4 pots are fine for road use with good pads and discs
Brill. I mean, first thing before any form of power Id do is discs and pads. sort the handling first, tyres after, then get the power thirst started. I mean, im not after huge power either, probably 250-260bhp, enough to be quite safe without damaging anything.

I wouldn't mod further than that as its a fast enough road car by then and you'll need a 6 speed to cope with more power so isnt worth the cost on a wrx.
Regards
Probably wouldnt decat, probably put a sports cat on somewhere down the line.

Would you say that id need to check the clutch on the car im going to look at? Clutch, brakes, rust?
Old 10 January 2013, 09:03 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

to get there you need yet- sti top mount intercooer, fuel pump, 3 port,,full decat,sparks,and list go on -fitment,
plus clutch for few pennys and brakes 400 ( 350bhp on 4pots- forget)
you could have bug sti for 3.5k with possibility good clutch then dont write bull**** here how cheap you could have 350bhp
2500 wrx plus parts and remap ok 3400 together
3.5k bug sti plus decat,sparks, remap 4k
lower suspension on sti, alloys clear brembo , not sure about steering rack is the same ,everything cost money
andy forrest site state no way for 16g with 350 thats a myth, different rollers different figures,or oem remap advantage
I reckon you could get 350 for £700 easy
Old 10 January 2013, 09:06 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Brill. I mean, first thing before any form of power Id do is discs and pads. sort the handling first, tyres after, then get the power thirst started. I mean, im not after huge power either, probably 250-260bhp, enough to be quite safe without damaging anything.

Probably wouldnt decat, probably put a sports cat on somewhere down the line.

Would you say that id need to check the clutch on the car im going to look at? Clutch, brakes, rust?
If you don't know a friendly mot garage then a sports cat is fine but will limit power a little.
Clutch I wouldn't bother until it breaks,But you can check it in high gears to see if it pulls without slipping.
I'm still running stock clutch I belive, 3 years now, as long as you don't launch it. (340ish hp)
Get your brakes and handling done first, best way then work on mods after.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 10 January 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 09:17 PM
fernandofan08
Scooby Regular

If you don't know a friendly mot garage then a sports cat is fine but will limit power a little.
Clutch I wouldn't bother until it breaks,But you can check it in high gears to see if it pulls without slipping.
I'm still running stock clutch I belive, 3 years now, as long as you don't launch it. (340ish hp)
My sentiments exactly. Dont have intention of launching her. Are there any reliability issues or anything I should know, or are they a pretty bullet proof vehicle?
Old 10 January 2013, 09:20 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Lol yeah right
Old 10 January 2013, 09:26 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

My sentiments exactly. Dont have intention of launching her. Are there any reliability issues or anything I should know, or are they a pretty bullet proof vehicle?
Nothing bullet proof, just like any car there will be glitches but overall they are good, just make sure that you check it out well prior to buying and make sure it's been looked after.
Better than rx8 anyway, didn't you do research on them
Originally Posted by toneh
Lol yeah right
Ok 220 like yours

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 10 January 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinion on this WRX