Sponsored by:

Subaru extended warranty = pointless

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2013, 05:47 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru extended warranty = pointless

Took my STI to local dealer today to have two issues fixed under my extended subaru warranty. First issue was a rear door central locking motor makes a loud whining noise every time the door is locked/unlocked.

The other issue is my driver's seat upright section is loose and rocks back and forward when braking/accelerating.

Both problems were acknowledged by the dealer but they have suggested from experience that the warranty will not cover the issues as they are not failures of the items. I've implied I want them to call the warranty company anyway. The dealership suggested as the car only has 19k on the clock I try Subaru UK and see if they will do a good will gesture.

Last edited by staccato; 03 January 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03 January 2013, 05:59 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

So whats the point in the warranty if they come out with rubish like that

The drivers seat might be a issue come MOT time if its deemed a fail by the tester
Old 03 January 2013, 06:10 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cammy5106
So whats the point in the warranty if they come out with rubish like that

The drivers seat might be a issue come MOT time if its deemed a fail by the tester
Exactly. I'm going to type a letter to Subaru UK.

It hasn't been a smooth ride since purchase. I wasn't told about the Metasat at purchase, and fought for ages to get that all set up when I found out about it. Then it didnt work and I used lots of my credits up trying, which I haven't been refunded.

When I bought the car the wheel balancing and tracking needed doing straight away. The service guy at the dealership wasn't too helpful. He doesn't seem to want to even call the warranty company as if he has predicted the outcome already. I said if he calls them, tells them the seat it wobbly and is broken how can the warranty company refuse?
Old 03 January 2013, 07:41 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Think you will find the extended warranty is handled by Autoprotect and not Subaru. Autoprotect only cover failure not signs of failure.

Hopefully Subaru will do the right thing ( but I am not confident ).

Hope you get sorted.
Old 03 January 2013, 08:14 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickp
Think you will find the extended warranty is handled by Autoprotect and not Subaru. Autoprotect only cover failure not signs of failure.

Hopefully Subaru will do the right thing ( but I am not confident ).

Hope you get sorted.
Thanks. Yeah it's a third party warranty. Mine is by Six Star and it was the Subaru 'used car' 12 month warranty attached to the car when I bought it.
Old 03 January 2013, 08:31 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

The headline has now become rather misleading,the aftermarket warranties are nothing like a Subaru warranty.The extended warranty covers the car as new.
I bought a range rover off my local Subaru a few years back,it came with a crap RAC warranty.The car played up very soon after purchase,in the meantime I checked the paperwork and decided the warranty was not worth having.
After kicking up a fuss and turning down ALL of the RAC warranty options I was eventually supplied with a Volvo warranty.This warranty was excellent..it covered well over £10k in faults which I had ( brand new box,torque converter,main wiring harness etc) and would have lasted 2 years if I hadn't sold the thing. It also entitled me to a proper courtesy car,full breakdown assistance etc,identical to a new car warranty.

Last edited by Busterbulldog; 03 January 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03 January 2013, 08:33 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

go to the dealer , rip the seat and rear door off , set them on their service desk and tell them they "failed"
Old 04 January 2013, 07:35 AM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
The headline has now become rather misleading,the aftermarket warranties are nothing like a Subaru warranty.The extended warranty covers the car as new.
I bought a range rover off my local Subaru a few years back,it came with a crap RAC warranty.The car played up very soon after purchase,in the meantime I checked the paperwork and decided the warranty was not worth having.
After kicking up a fuss and turning down ALL of the RAC warranty options I was eventually supplied with a Volvo warranty.This warranty was excellent..it covered well over £10k in faults which I had ( brand new box,torque converter,main wiring harness etc) and would have lasted 2 years if I hadn't sold the thing. It also entitled me to a proper courtesy car,full breakdown assistance etc,identical to a new car warranty.
The dealership told me this is Subaru's used car warranty - but supplied by a third party. So essentially, Subaru use this company to supply the warranty on their used vehicles and have made the choice to use this company. Not sure how much Subaru pay the warranty company but if the company is never paying out for claims Subaru is having its pants pulled down!
Old 04 January 2013, 07:48 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yep, found this out years ago, most used car warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on, and they look for any excuse not to pay out.
Old 04 January 2013, 08:11 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All warranties are supplied by third party members! Only the first year is covered from the manufacturer. However there not all bad!!
Old 04 January 2013, 08:14 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
go to the dealer , rip the seat and rear door off , set them on their service desk and tell them they "failed"
What he said
Old 04 January 2013, 08:27 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
How will this help him?
Old 04 January 2013, 08:30 AM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
How will this help him?
lol thoughtful idea. I think the service guy was also not too helpful. He was one of those frustrating guys who seems to sympathise with everything you say but still never does anything to help. He suggested something could be done about the door during the next service (May) Why would I want to wait that long?? It's what was originally a 30k car and it squeals like a group of rats every time you unlock the door!
Old 04 January 2013, 10:50 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

How will this help him?
What do you suggest as a workable alternative? Wait until it breaks properly by which time the "warranty" will probably have long expired along with the OP's patience and will to live?

I don't think it was a literal suggestion to manually remove said faulty parts right in front of the service department door. Rather to use some creative engineering as an alternative method of obtaining satisfaction.
Old 04 January 2013, 11:16 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Have you tried another dealer? The one you're using sounds crap!
Old 04 January 2013, 11:37 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I was just sugesting that he speeds the process up , if they say they dont cover "failing" parts and only "failed" parts , then thats what they are looking for. A "failed" seat can only be if u cant sit on it ,.and a failed door lock will be if it can be opened.

both these would be relevant if they were sitting on a desk
Old 04 January 2013, 12:55 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
What do you suggest as a workable alternative? Wait until it breaks properly by which time the "warranty" will probably have long expired along with the OP's patience and will to live?

I don't think it was a literal suggestion to manually remove said faulty parts right in front of the service department door. Rather to use some creative engineering as an alternative method of obtaining satisfaction.
I just asked how 'ripping out' was going to help
'Fixing' the rear door motor would be quite easy.
And the seat - well surely that's a safety issue?
Old 04 January 2013, 07:51 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

I just asked how 'ripping out' was going to help
'Fixing' the rear door motor would be quite easy.
And the seat - well surely that's a safety issue?
YEah the dealer said on the phone he immediately thought the seat would be a hard claim until I said safety issue, then he agreed to inspect it and agreed the seat is loose front to back and slightly side to side and cannot be adjusted.
Old 04 January 2013, 09:55 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Well when I purchased my 330s back in May I was assured and told it was a 12month subaru warranty so took the car on that basis as if it went wrong i would be doing with them direct. We did talk about when it was up I could renew but I assumed it was with them not a third party so if that's the case I won't bother. The more I look into the warranty side the more I think it's worthless and no point having, the funny thing is I only bought the hatch sti as it came with a warranty which almost looks pointless