Road Heroics and Accidents

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2013, 10:37 AM
gutbucket
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Heroics and Accidents

Hi Scoobsters

I recently had a near miss with a lamppost as a Range Rover pulled out in front of me. Admittedly I was going a little too fast, but I managed - sideways for a second - on a wet road to avoid damage apart from a busted wing mirror. The best bit was my mother in law was in the passenger seat and cried. That was well worth the cost of a replacement mirror.

I just wanted to hear your near misses and accidents in detail.
Old 03 January 2013, 10:51 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

For me, brake fade whilst participating in somewhat spirited driving with a BMW Z4.

Funny about the mother in law!!!
Old 03 January 2013, 11:02 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lmao at the mother in law.

mine was def brake fade as well, but i was hooning over the mountain on the isle of man lol
Old 03 January 2013, 11:13 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Overtaking a queue of traffic in my evo, got near the end of the queue (about 10 cars) when the car directly behind the slow moving old git decided to pull out for an overtake without checking his mirror. Put me onto the bumpy grassy verge to avoid contact. Funny thing was that I kept my foot in it and actually overtook him while on the grass, pulled back onto the tarmac still at full chat with a cloud of freshly cut grass and mud following me. I merely waved a friendly gesture out of the window and carried on my journey at a rediculous pace only acceptable when your 19....lol...

Live and learn hey.
Old 03 January 2013, 11:26 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Mine is nothing special which I'm shocked at because at times my driving has been apauling...

Going down a hill in winter and could see it was a sheet of ice. Il literally rolling down this hill to a T junction where a car infront of me is waiting to turn right. I've gone through the gears and lightly doing the breaks and still picking up speed......

Couldn't turn to avoid him as traffic was coming towards me and there was no where to go to the left. Amazingly he pulled out as I got to where he was and I stopped. Was suck a weird experience bracing for an impact but then shifting into his space.
Old 03 January 2013, 11:43 AM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

I was coming up to a roundabout and felt a clonk through the brake pedal, then all of a sudden no brakes Pumped the brakes & they came back (about 5m into the roundabout) with a loud scraping noise...

Nursed the car the final mile home & inspected the brakes to find the one of the OSR pads had fallen out - looked at the other side & they were only half worn.

Bought a cheapy set of rear discs & pads just to get me back on the road & when fitted them I realised what had happened - some idiot had put solid discs on the back when they should have been vented, the thickness difference allowed the pads to fall out

Luckily it was on a road into town so wasn't going too fast - I had just come off the motorway though so feel pretty darn lucky...
Old 03 January 2013, 11:54 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Driving down the longest, straightest road ever at NSL. A tractor towing a massive trailer, who couldn't have failed to see me, pulled out leaving me to carry out emergency procedures.
I was driving a Daihatsu Cuore at the time with two bourbons gripping a rich tea acting as brakes. Slowing down didn't seem to happen, crumbs and chocolate cream flying everywhere, so I had to leave the road and drive up a grassy slope to slow myself up.

Shaky leg after that. Earlier on though, I was sat in heavy traffic on the A303(surprise surprise) and recalled Jeremy Clarkson saying when he was bored, trying to cross legs and operate the clutch with right leg, brake and accelerate with the left. Yeah, I was close to slamming into the back of the car in front.

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2013, 12:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Making swift progress a good many years back I came up to overtake a Nissan Micra and a truck on the M66. I pulled out and was approaching them to overtake 'rapidly' when the old dear in the Nissan Micra decided to join me in the outside lane at the last minute doing about 45mph.

Realising I was going to hit her or hit the truck if I went to the inside lane I decided the hard shoulder looked good only to see a Land Rover parked on it as I pulled across the inside lane. Now heading towards the back of the truck in what seemed like a split second I had undertaken the Micra and pulled back into the outside lane from behind the truck with what felt like inches to spare between truck and Micra and lived to fight another day.

Was a bit of a clenching moment though and down to me in some ways as I was going way too fast! I can still see it vividily now some 25 years later

Last edited by f1_fan; 03 January 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03 January 2013, 01:03 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Tuned 1340 MG Midget, 1967 vintage. Late at night on my way home down the A38 dual carriageway, decided in a mad moment to take to a side road that rejoined the A38 further down. I knew the road (or as it turns out I thought I knew it!) Foot flat to the floor through the little hamlet, certainly well over 80. I reached a junction that didn't used to be there with a ramp that didn't used to be there either. All four wheels left the deck. In itself, that wouldn't have been so bad, but while we were airborne a set of headlights appeared about two feet to the left, from a car that was pulling out of the junction. My life passed by in slow motion, illuminated by two 12 volt bulbs. I'd say I missed him by a half a second.
For some distance down the road I called the name of our lord in vain, while my passenger didn't say anything at all. I've no idea what the guy in the other car thought!
Old 03 January 2013, 01:29 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

AJ Reminds me of an instance in my early road rally days when I was acting as course car on a local event with some friends as passengers who I was "introducing" to rallying.

We weren't hanging about and somewhere just south of Crawley (iirc) we approached what I recall to be a crossroads on the brow of a hill. My tyres lost contact with the tarmac for a while and the bit that sticks in my mind is that I was able to look down onto the roof of a VW beetle travelling in the opposite direction.

The comments from the passengers were varied.

or there was the time......
Old 03 January 2013, 01:31 PM
daz haigh
Scooby Newbie

A few years back, i was cruising down the A1 in yorkshire in a BMW 325I SPORT E30, just lets say i was going a bit too fast LOL. when a HGV pulled straight out infront of me, i slammed all on, car went sidewards, a managed to control it. car was hurtling towards HGV, a thought i was a gonna, got right up to his rear bumper. looked in mirror couldnt see anything for tyre smoke. i flat spotted every tire. absolutley shat myself. then i got a scooby and it handled alot better LOL.