Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru STOPPING PRODUCTION of the Impreza and STI!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2012, 03:41 AM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Subaru STOPPING PRODUCTION of the Impreza and STI!!!

I came across this the other day there on autoexpress.co.uk, at first I couldn't believe my eyes but then after reading it, it come to no surprise.

Subaru WRX STi and Impreza UK sales will end in UK from 2013.

The Subaru WRX STi and Subaru Impreza will cease to be a feature on UK’s roads from next year. While an all-new Impreza was launched in Japan and the US last year, a spokesman for the brand confirmed that there isn’t enough demand for cars like the Impreza in the UK, so the new model will not be added to the UK line-up.

He said: “The new Impreza has been under evaluation in the UK for 12 months, but the decision has been taken not to bring that car to the UK because of insufficient demand.”

The decision also means the end of the line for the WRX STi. Subaru split the Impreza and WRX STi nameplates into two separate models in 2007, when the third generation Impreza arrived, and demand has dwindled as the performance model can no longer compete with more modern rivals in terms of design, interior quality, performance and emissions.

The spokesman said: “Currently we have no plans to bring in further [WRX STI] stock after the current stock sells out – which should takes us to early summer depending on demand.”

Instead, Subaru will focus its UK efforts on its XV, new Forester and Outback SUV models: “Subaru is concentrating on what it’s really good at – so we’re concentrating on SUVs and the BRZ – we’re hoping to get more [BRZs] next year to satisfy strong demand for that car.”

He added that he “could not confirm what happens to the Legacy after the end of 2013”.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/subaru/...#ixzz2GPOMzH1E

What's your opinion fellow ScoobyNetters?
Old 29 December 2012, 03:48 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Old news?
Old 29 December 2012, 03:48 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

this is quite old news bud, its been posted already here somewhere. grey imports will always come here anyways if someone really wants one.
Old 29 December 2012, 05:40 AM
Tobytopper
Scooby Newbie

It has been out in various mags now over the last few weeks about stopping production and going down the world car route that everyone seems to be doing

Sad times :-(
Old 29 December 2012, 09:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not stopping production, Subaru UK (Or International Motors) are just not selling any more (mainly down to the fact they sold less than 130 STI Impreza's last year), you can still get the car from Europe so if you want one then there wont be a problem.

Tony

PS, yes its old news
Old 29 December 2012, 09:54 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

It is sad, I had hoped that Subaru would realise their failing with the current line up, do something to bring back the old spark and supply us a car that would reunite enthusiasts with the sort of car that SN members are longing for.

It would appear that the marketing clowns are still running the show and rather than listening to their customers have come to the conclusion that they don't know their derrière from their elbow and are incapable of producing cars mirroring the buzz and excitement of years gone by. The stupid thing is the SGT could have been that sort of car had they tweaked the styling and called it the WRX.
Old 29 December 2012, 11:45 AM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

shame really, but economical climate of this great land has made it difficult for buyer to go for such a model, and all that goes with it higher tax insurance and petrol. perhaps in future things may change but id say thats a while off if at all. some chaps i know who did own a subaru have had to sell them on. ( cant afford it) thats a dam shame.sad in fact its good to see subaru have there finger on the pulse of uk car sales, and so save them selves one big problem in future, another example totally diffrent, blackberry phones how many are sitting in wharehouses , nobody wants them now.
Old 29 December 2012, 11:56 AM
fasteddie84
Scooby Regular

Going back to the OP, it is inevitable really. Look at Mitsubishi, they have stopped production of the Evo X and the next one will be more economical which means no big spoilers or boxy front ends as they cause drag.

We have seen the big bhp, uneconomical and unenvironmentally friendly era and now moving with the times. The Subaru has never been economical and isn't exactly up to Volvo safety spec which seems to be more compulsory now.

Why spend millions of pounds designing a car that will be all of the above only for the purists to say "it's not like the old ones" and only sell a couple of hundred a year.
Old 29 December 2012, 12:18 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

I'm looking on the bright side! Decent classics will only ever go up in value as the crap ones windle off to the scrap heap in the sky lol
Old 29 December 2012, 03:54 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fasteddie84
We have seen the big bhp, uneconomical and unenvironmentally friendly era and now moving with the times. .
Flippin' typical that, just as I get old enough to actually be able to afford the insurance of cars such as these they are no longer available. Ive spent 20 years since the beginning of my secondary school life lusting after fast cars and now they're being taken off the shelf. Gutted.
Old 29 December 2012, 06:00 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Production is not stopping, just IM not bringing it here.You can still buy them in Europe like someone already said,and people like Litchfield will probably be able to source them too, as well as the Grey imports.
Subaru XV has 5 NCAP stars and is best in class for safety.

Pete
Old 30 December 2012, 12:40 AM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Hey guys thanks for your views on this, I have been out the country a good few months now and really was shocked when I stumbled upon this just the other day there. Sorry if it has already been mentioned I never honestly knew it had been plastered all over magazines just had to express my thoughts though as it does have that shock factor to it when first read.

Thanks again guys and I really do forget how much knowledge is on here it really is fantastic.