Sponsored by:

Newbie thinking of 2008 type uk

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2012, 04:44 PM
BigSig
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie thinking of 2008 type uk

Hi all, I have had a Subaru before (legacy spec B) and was very impressed with it. After a few slow and boring cars I've found myself looking at the 2008 on hatches.

I've seen the thread on the engine worries and are they really that bad? I know people only post the bad news but its got me thinking I should spend my cash elsewhere

What's the honest opinion from the owners?

Thanks in advance
Old 27 December 2012, 05:09 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There not all that bad, but you can always buy one that has had a forged engine for peace of mind.
Old 27 December 2012, 05:15 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I still vow to this day that they are brilliant. If i was in the market for another I'd buy one
Old 27 December 2012, 06:27 PM
BigSig
Scooby Newbie

Finding one at a garage, locally with a forged engine is probably pretty slim. The seller may not know I guess so it would be a case of hoping there are some receipts with it that might just help.
Old 27 December 2012, 06:57 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSig
Finding one at a garage, locally with a forged engine is probably pretty slim. The seller may not know I guess so it would be a case of hoping there are some receipts with it that might just help.
I would say if it had a forged engine it would be mentioned in the ad, as it would be a very big selling point.
All i will add is, i have owned a lot of Subaru's over the years including a brand new 98 Classic Impreza, to my current 2.0 JDM Hatch, i've driven most power levels of Impreza due to my business, but the Hatch is the most allround car to cover most day to day uses, & long distance mile muncher, the 2.5 is a better lazy road mannered machine.

Last edited by MOTORS S GT; 27 December 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 27 December 2012, 10:04 PM
BigSig
Scooby Newbie

Thank you all for the information so far.

I don't do a lot of miles but it does need to be reliable and practical which, for me, the saloons are not (practical).

As long as they are good for normal use and the odd thrashing that's going to be ok, along with a good warranty!
Old 27 December 2012, 10:15 PM
lgtuk
Scooby Regular

I don't see what all the fuss is about with the 2.5 if it blows up its because they haven't maintained it properly or tuned it beyond its abilities.

I have owned both variants and found them both very reliable but once I drove the 2.5 I would not go back to 2ltr it's so much nicer to drive as an everyday car.

let the scaremungers say there piece most haven't even owned one I'd say if your not planning to tune the nuts off it 2.5 is far better car.
Old 28 December 2012, 01:03 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by juggers
There not all that bad, but you can always buy one that has had a forged engine for peace of mind.
Or a JDM car, they're not bad either
Old 28 December 2012, 10:32 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lgtuk
I don't see what all the fuss is about with the 2.5 if it blows up its because they haven't maintained it properly or tuned it beyond its abilities.

I have owned both variants and found them both very reliable but once I drove the 2.5 I would not go back to 2ltr it's so much nicer to drive as an everyday car.

let the scaremungers say there piece most haven't even owned one I'd say if your not planning to tune the nuts off it 2.5 is far better car.
Not done your homework at all with these statements. Modding and poor maintenance will always play a part with failure but there are many a well cared for, un-modded car that has popped.

The 2.0ltr engine is a much safer unit and JDM is even better. As for the Hatch it is a practical car that is easy to live with but the engine worries should always be a concern.
Old 30 December 2012, 06:47 PM
BigSig
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that info. Not interested in anything imported. All cars have faults so its interesting to hear the owners views.